Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Not losing weight, help!

29 replies

squirrelnutkin23 · 22/01/2024 21:53

My New Year's resolution was predictably to lose weight. I'm 5'6/7 and 12 stone. I'm not morbidly obese but I have a very wobbly, protruding belly and I'm bloated in my face. I don't like the way I look but I do like wine and food. I've tried calorie counting which tends to work quite well for the first half of the week but by the time the weekend rolls around I fall off the wagon again. I also binge eat snacks and tend to ruin my calorie counting in about 5 minutes flat when I get in from work.

So my 'diet' and plans for dry January have failed already but I have managed to stick to my exercise goals. I've been going to the gym more, walking a lot, doing home work outs when I can. And although I know diet trumps exercise I guess I expected to see a small improvement as I'm definitely more active than I was last year.

But today I weighed myself at the gym and I've put on weight! Only half a pound but I don't get it. I'm feeling really dejected and don't know where to go from here. I simply can't give up the food I enjoy. And I like having a drink two or three times a week too. I have precious little other pleasures in life and I'm starting to think I just have to accept my size and shape now because I know I won't give them up.

But I really would like to lose a bit even if it's slow and gradual. Does anyone have any small, achievable daily habits or changes that they could recommend for weight loss? Or lower calorie swaps maybe for certain food?

OP posts:
squirrelnutkin23 · 23/01/2024 22:45

disappearingfish · 23/01/2024 21:46

Sorry but it will be virtually impossible to lose weight if you are drinking regularly.

There's lots of quit lit out there, plus apps, podcasts etc.

What's stopping you knocking it on the head?

I just enjoy it. Sounds shallow and stupid but I do. I very rarely go out socially. I'm really busy with work and kids. The one thing I actively look forward to is that relaxation that I get from sitting down in the evening with a glass of wine. It's usually maybe 3 times a week and the other nights I exercise or read or take a bath or do all of the other, healthier options to drinking and it's nice but I still like my wine evenings.

Unless something changes massively I don't see me ever totally giving up alcohol the same as I'm unlikely to ever totally give up chocolate and pasta, so I guess I'm trying to think realistically of other ways that I can lose weight while still having some of the things I enjoy. Sadly I'm not great at moderation either so I'm probably destined to stay fat.

OP posts:
disappearingfish · 24/01/2024 09:10

You don't sound stupid, you sound normal.

If you can keep up your exercise you will be doing your health the world of good. So that's brilliant. Your weight really only matters in relation to your health, looks are relatively unimportant.

You might benefit from something like Slimpod which helps to reframe your thinking about "treats". Small changes might make a difference. Good luck.

alwaysonadiet1 · 24/01/2024 09:39

I don't agree that she has to give up wine to lose weight. If it's half a bottle three times a week that is about 900 calories. It's easy to incorporate it into a healthy eating plan and still lose weight. I've done that several times. My weight has crept back up due to drinking quite a lot more than that!

mumof1or2 · 24/01/2024 09:45

My advice would be to use an online calculator to work out your calories. You want to work out how many calories you need a day to maintain your weight, and then subtract 500 calories from that. That's your daily calorie allowance. Use an app like My Fitness Pal to track your calories.

From your post it seems like you need to just plan ahead better. Each day, work out exactly what you're going to eat the next day and have it ready. So if you know you'll be hungry when you get home from work, plan for a snack which is within your calorie allowance and then you can grab that when you get in without falling off the wagon. Include wine in your allowance (maybe try some low cal wines?) and plan for two glasses three times a week (or whatever it is you have), so again, when you have that it hasn't taken you off track.

It's totally possible to lose weight while eating and drinking the things you like. You just need to include them in your calorie allowance rather than having them as a "whoops" on top of it.

Good luck! X

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.