Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To think Clarks is taking the piss

37 replies

Ianhislopseyebrow · 20/01/2024 16:25

Both my children were measured at Clarks as an E fitting (they’re toddlers)
The shop had one pair of black shoes in each size so they suggested to try online.
online have a few pairs of black shoes in their sizes and one colourful pair in each size, both of which they have had before.
AIBU to think that if clarks are going to make measure feet then they should make some more shoes that cater to non-standard widths?
where do you shop for your narrow-footed children? Or does it actually not matter and they’d be ok in ones that are officially too wide?

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

72 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
67%
You are NOT being unreasonable
33%
Goldwakeme · 20/01/2024 19:14

I've never had my DC's feet measured. If I buy online and measurements are given eg Happy Little Soles, I get them to stand on a piece of paper and mark heels and toes.

LetMeOut2021 · 20/01/2024 19:15

Clarks is so frustrating. When they say “have you seen any styles you like” I just ask they let me know which they have in my son’s size save him choosing something and being disappointed.

Littleoxforddictionary · 20/01/2024 19:15

Dd has very narrow feet. Clarks used to refuse to sell us any shoes even when we were desperate for eg school shoes needed urgently. I would say I don't mind if too wide i just need some black shoes badly fitted better than nothing. European brands much better.

Littleoxforddictionary · 20/01/2024 19:15

Dd has very narrow feet. Clarks used to refuse to sell us any shoes even when we were desperate for eg school shoes needed urgently. I would say I don't mind if too wide i just need some black shoes badly fitted better than nothing. European brands much better.

snoopyfanaccountant · 20/01/2024 19:22

One of mine is an H fitting with a high instep so shoe shopping has always been a nightmare. Add to that the fact that she has tiny feet - at 20 she is a 2 1/2 - so finding something that both fitted and was age suitable left me dreading shoe shopping.
High school insisted that shoes had to be solid black - no other coloured sole, stitching or logo. One year all we could get to fit had a brown sole; if it had been questioned my reply would have been to ask the school to find something to fit which met their requirements.

PastTheGin · 20/01/2024 19:24

My dc have really narrow feet. When they were smaller we had to drive to the next town over and but European shoes in an independent shoe shop.
They are teens now and ds often buys ladies’ shoes (trainers, hiking boots).
Dd is very unhappy that she can’t wear most fashion shoes.

WantNewMakeup · 20/01/2024 19:34

You can buy them F fittings. It’s a matter of millimetres. It’s no biggy.

CheesecakeandCrackers · 20/01/2024 19:35

WantOutOfRatRace · 20/01/2024 19:13

Mine have really wide feet. Every time we go to Clarks, I say that they're really wide so just bring out whatever they have in the right size. Every time the assistants insist that DD should look at the shoes and choose the ones she likes....then they go in the back and come out saying "we don't have those, we only have this one in her size or this other one that might fit". She ends up with the same ones every time.

Mine are wide too and we have had similar. They have many times measured then said we don't have anything in an H just get narrower in a size bigger. After the 3rd such conversation like this I stopped going back. We now get soft trainers for school from sports direct. Clarks isn't like it used to be.

BogRollBOGOF · 20/01/2024 19:37

I spent years in The H Width Shoe. Having small feet, I was worried about having to start secondary in babyish T-bars because that was the only option in my size for years. Fortunately I'd just tipped over into The Lace-Up H Width just in time.

As an adult, I solve the problem by wearing shoes that are an inch too long because my shoe size hasn't been invented yet.

IggyAce · 20/01/2024 19:41

Try having a ds with narrow feet bloody nightmare I usually got the choice of 1 pair. Please to say now he’s a teen his foot is wider however he still has a skinny heel.

Workawayxx · 20/01/2024 19:56

My DD is an E too but they didn’t have anything in a 7.5 E. they said an F would be fine and they had sone lace up ones that could be tightened more to fit. Tbh I think it’s just better than buying from a shop there they only have whole sizes and no width fittings at all. I wouldn’t want the same pattern twice though!

return2sender · 20/01/2024 20:10

My daughter is a D and we really struggle

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.