Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Asthma attack?

2 replies

Hateasthma1 · 19/01/2024 22:13

Hi

just posting here in the off chance someone can help or knows anything about this!

I had a horrible asthma attack today- it’s been flaring up for a few days but was somewhat controlled with my inhaler but today was awful. During the attack something really weird happened with my hands- they were so sweaty and my fingers were all sort of locked- especially my thumbs. They were completely locked in a claw position and I couldn’t move them at all. I tried with everything I had in me to wiggle them and they were completely stuck and wouldn’t move. It was a bad attack but once it was under control my thumbs went back to normal but I just wondered- does anyone know why this happened? It’s never happened before so I was frightened (as if having an asthma attack wasn’t frightening enough). I’ve had some light headedness during attacks before but today was much worse with that too

does anyone know why this happened? Just so I know not to panic next time if it happens again in the future! X

OP posts:
Alphabet1spaghetti2 · 19/01/2024 22:32

not a medic! Just an asthmatic.

Our bodies are sometimes weird. It could be anything - a reaction of panic, (fight or flight response) a reaction to whatever set your asthma off (eg cold) or a reaction to your brain concentrating on how to breathe and forgetting how to operate fingers at the same time/deciding hands aren’t necessary! Our brains kind of misfire at times. It might never happen again, or it might happen if the set of circumstances align.

As your asthma has begun to flare, it might be an idea to get a review done with your nurse or dr and you can mention it then.

edit to add: hope you feel better soon.

Valeriemoor · 19/01/2024 23:38

I’m not sure, but I had a really bad asthma attack and I started gripping a sheet with my hand in like a claw. It didn’t last long, and I don’t feel it was not controllable it was just more automatic than conscious. I’ve heard of people who have died from an attack being found gripping something like this.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.