Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Lost it today!

11 replies

ellie09 · 19/01/2024 19:59

The last few weeks have been filled with insomnia and I've slept on average 5 hours a night. I have no idea why.

I work full time, I've to look after a SEN child on my own who has been off schools lots with snow and strikes this week. I had an appointment 40 miles away this morning in the snow which had me riddled with anxiety and I hadn't ate all morning.

Appointment went swimmingly, by my surprise and I made it back without crashing the car!

Then came collecting my prescription which you would think would be the easiest task of the day!

Call in, say I will be back in 15 mins or so while they sort. Back in 15 mins and its still not ready.

10 more minutes and I enquire again. Still not ready. 5 mins later another staff member asks if I am OK, I say I'm waiting on a script then give my name and she carries on gossiping behind the till.

Group of around 4 workers standing around chatting and on their phones and another 10 mins goes in, people in after me have been and gone. I am getting rather hot and sweaty (I have multiple layers on for the weather but the store is roasting). I start shaking and realise I am absolutely starving and getting light headed so I sit down.

More people start queuing so the staff members are getting busier. Before they proceed on the queue, I go over and ask one of them to please check on my script and ask how long it'll be.

Cue an old lady in the queue who walked in 30 seconds ago starting on me, telling me to get to the end of the queue (there was about 8 people at this stage and it is not all the same queue - its separate if you're waiting for scripts)

Staff member locates my script and it was sitting there the WHOLE TIME, they just didnt look hard enough.

I completely lost it. The woman lagging me in the queue. I informed her I wasnt in such a queue (they were all paying for items) and that I was already getting seen to, waiting well over half an hour and I wasnt about to join a queue of people paying for items which would have taken another 10+ mins. I told her to keep her nose out of my business and if I did anything wrong, it was up to the staff member to tell me to "get in the queue", not her (even though the queue is not for waiting for prescriptions).

I was handed my prescription, no apology, nothing.

I am going to change my chemist on Tuesday when at the GP and I probably realise my outburst was unreasonable but honestly is it so much to ask for people to keep their mouths shut and show a little bit of compassion when you have no idea on the day or week they've been having.

I wouldnt bat an eyelid if roles were reversed but I think some people just like to cause drama for no good reason.

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

46 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
24%
You are NOT being unreasonable
76%
Gobolina · 19/01/2024 20:07

Yanbu

DoesMaryNotDrive · 19/01/2024 20:14

YANBU. I only call people out for queue jumping if I’m very sure they actually are.

Your pharmacy is poor, my local family run pharmacy are extremely quick and efficien.

ellie09 · 19/01/2024 20:21

DoesMaryNotDrive · 19/01/2024 20:14

YANBU. I only call people out for queue jumping if I’m very sure they actually are.

Your pharmacy is poor, my local family run pharmacy are extremely quick and efficien.

Yep in ours you queue to let them know you're there to pick up and wait to be called. I was waiting for 30 mins and was not about to join a queue of people paying for items!

Lady had the cheek to say "I should have spoke out earlier" despite me doing so in total 3 times, and she only walked in 30 seconds earlier - how would she know?

I sat and cried in my car afterwards like a saddo. Workers just stood and let someone speak to me like that also with others shaking their heads, not verifying anything I was saying or stepping in.

Shambles

After the week.I had, with eyeballs burning and blood sugars low, I didnt care any longer lol

OP posts:
Snowydaysfaraway · 19/01/2024 20:24

I reported the pharmacy assistant for the way she flounced and shouted a dramatic For God's Sake as she spun round.. After I queried why they told me on the phone 5 hours earlier it was ready when it hadn't been authorised. I had stood there 45 mins and had asked 3 times of it was done...

HO seemed suitably appalled. Complain op.

Missingmyusername · 19/01/2024 20:25

YANBU. Good for you speaking up. Chemist staff sound like they got carried away chatting.

Don’t sweat it! Hope you got some lunch.

gwanmen · 19/01/2024 20:25

Nah you stood up for yourself, good for you. YANBU. Don't be hard on yourself, life is difficult at the moment and you are doing a great job of juggling everything.

Deathbyathousandcats · 19/01/2024 20:30

I think you live near me, OP!
all the pharmacies are shit round here.

ellie09 · 19/01/2024 20:30

Thanks all - I just didnt know if it was an overreaction as I was tired, hangry etc and started feeling really bad about the lady as she was elderly as well.

I got home as had some lunch and a quick nap before working the rest of the day. I dont have diabetes or anything but I do have other autoimmune conditions which can affect my metabolism, hormones etc so when I go long periods without food, plus under strain (heat, cold etc) I can get really cranky and feel quite unwell.

Still shattered now so looking forward to an early night!

OP posts:
ellie09 · 19/01/2024 20:32

Deathbyathousandcats · 19/01/2024 20:30

I think you live near me, OP!
all the pharmacies are shit round here.

I dont know why the staff are so rude considering they dont seem to be rushed off their feet 😂

They were busy talking about the reduced stock and hoarding all the sales items for themselves out the back while I was there and making phone calls to their mates 😅

OP posts:
OldPerson · 19/01/2024 21:04

You know you could have handled it better, which is why you're changing pharmacies. When you're at the GP changing pharmacy, also ask for your NHS number. It's displayed alongside all your records. Every time you go to a pharmacy to collect a prescription hand them a piece of paper with your name, date of birth and NHS number. The name and date of birth prevents confusion. Your NHS number will enable them to track your prescription and access additional information. I collect prescriptions for many old people every week, and all the pharmacies know me by name. One of the pharmacist's gave me that advice, when a prescription couldn't be found. I phoned and got the NHS number - problem sorted.

ellie09 · 19/01/2024 21:09

OldPerson · 19/01/2024 21:04

You know you could have handled it better, which is why you're changing pharmacies. When you're at the GP changing pharmacy, also ask for your NHS number. It's displayed alongside all your records. Every time you go to a pharmacy to collect a prescription hand them a piece of paper with your name, date of birth and NHS number. The name and date of birth prevents confusion. Your NHS number will enable them to track your prescription and access additional information. I collect prescriptions for many old people every week, and all the pharmacies know me by name. One of the pharmacist's gave me that advice, when a prescription couldn't be found. I phoned and got the NHS number - problem sorted.

Oh they found my prescription and it was in process of being completed. So it was there and they had it, I was waiting on it being bagged and given to me.

Not sure how it works in others

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.