Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Advice on 4 year old and night time toilet use

9 replies

bedti · 17/01/2024 06:21

My girl has been out of nappies for ages during the day, at 2 and a halfish.

I haven't pushed the night time potty training, as I read that it just happens.

Things are definitely changing and just wondered if anyone has experience of how to handle this part.

She keeps waking up dry recently, but she disturbs me at night time because she needs the toilet, but doesn't tell me that's why.

So she'll wake me up from her room lamenting.. or she'll come to my room, lie down and lament and giggle her legs. She doesn't seem away and she also doesn't say anything, she just laments and cries a little.

Until I take her to the toilet, where she does a wee with her eyes closed, bless her.

I take her the loo before bed usually too.

Is this how it usually goes ? Does this mean she's ' ready ' to be out of nappies at night and the urge of needing to go, actually wakes her up now? Whereas before she just slept through it ?

OP posts:
Futb0l · 17/01/2024 06:49

My dd was like this. Take her out of nappies. Eventually they get where they wake enough to take themselves to the loo.

DustyLee123 · 17/01/2024 07:13

Is she sleepwalking?

ihatevinted · 17/01/2024 10:05

Could you put her in pull ups overnight for a short while and put a nightlight in the bathroom? She could then possibly manage to visit the potty / loo herself overnight?

TempName247 · 17/01/2024 10:20

My two both cried when they woke needing a wee and they wouldn’t speak, they were in a weird sleepwalking type state and had no memory of it the next day. My eldest could get herself to the toilet but if she didn’t make it in time she would be screaming blue murder until we got her back into bed, it’s freaky!

TempName247 · 17/01/2024 10:22

If her night time nappies are dry in the morning then I would stop with them, you can use an under sheet pad in case of any accidents. Also a great tip is have the spare sheet already fitted on the underside of the mattress so you can just quickly flip it over.

AlltheFs · 17/01/2024 10:27

Dd was similar, we took off the nappy pants and she has a potty in her room (as we have downstairs bathroom) and now she gets herself up for a wee if she needs, but most nights doesn’t need to.
She goes straight to the potty in the morning.We haven’t had any accidents yet and it’s been 6 months.

When she is bigger we will let her go downstairs by herself but she can’t reach the light switches yet or the door latches!

Celticliving · 17/01/2024 10:32

Take her out of nappies.

Small sips of water only an hour before bed.

Take her for a wee before she goes to sleep.

Before you go to bed, get her up and take her to the toilet. You don't even need to 'wake her up'. Just gently encourage her to stand, walk, sit and wee.

GETTINGLIKEMYMOTHER · 17/01/2024 10:37

A dd at this sort of age slept very deeply. So we used to lift her out of bed and sit her on the loo before we went to bed. She’d wee without even waking up.

By 5 or 6 we no longer needed to do it.
We were living in a very hot climate at the time, so no way was I going to restrict fluids later in the day. TBH I don’t agree with restricting fluids anyway.

bedti · 17/01/2024 11:35

ihatevinted · 17/01/2024 10:05

Could you put her in pull ups overnight for a short while and put a nightlight in the bathroom? She could then possibly manage to visit the potty / loo herself overnight?

She's still in pull ups anyway. Is it bad to just keep her in pull ups ?

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.