Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

I really need to some advice here

82 replies

Dearymee · 14/01/2024 21:14

I’m going to try and make this as unidentifiable as possible for what will become obvious reasons. Salaries are adjusted to be not identifying but are not base rate tax payer salaries.

im in tech and I I started a new role 4 months ago, got a pay rise to 60k. How ever they’ve jut put me at risk, and it looks like it’s rapid turn around for compulsory redundancies. As of yet I don’t know if I’ll be selected BUT last In first out tends to be the way BUT tbh I would say I’m the best and most qualified person for the job. BUT I’ve no indication either way and the entire department was advised to look for other roles outside the business and to use our connections and even to go back to our old employer if we can. 50% of us will be going. However, the whole thing has been handled very very poorly (I won’t go into it but it’s jaw dropping) As a result there will be a settlement (over 10k)

so I’ve been looking

I’ve got an interview (65-80k)and then a final informal chat on another (55k) realistically the former is probably out of my reach

i pulled in a connection and got a wink wink nudge nudge tenative we’ll Mickey Mouse the interview at my old employer. Different role but same salary range. BUT the max salary is 5k less than my current salary and they won’t pay me the max. So I’d be looking at 7 maybe even 10 less, but the job isn’t live yet so I don’t know. BUT the benefit package is a lot better. I sort of feel indebted to them now.

BUT I still don’t know if I’m going to be laid off.

leaving only makes sense IF I’m being laid off and will get a settlement. I can probably make that happen if I put myself forward for it but I have to do it very very soon.

ultimately my views on my current work place have changed and the culture has taken a massive shift and it’s become very unpleasant. That being said I could make it work, if I wanted (if not laid off) but I don’t want to.

so my options as I see it;

do nothing - get laid off, my old employer don’t shaft me and offer 7k pay cut to 53k. Fine. Settlement and benefits work to not put me at a financial disadvantage.

do nothing but NOT laid off - and quit. No settlement and pay cut in other job= financial disadvantage.

put myself forward for redundancy- get settlement go to old employer, fine

put myself forward for redundancy- settlement but old employer shafts me pay wise and don’t get to other jobs and I’m stuffed. unlikely but still in the realm of possibility

do I put myself forward for being laid off as I think leaving is the best bet for me but it only makes financial sense if I get a payout.

do I do it?

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

28 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
50%
You are NOT being unreasonable
50%
fatandhappy47 · 14/01/2024 21:19

You won't get a settlement at a company you've been at for 4 months

Dearymee · 14/01/2024 21:31

fatandhappy47 · 14/01/2024 21:19

You won't get a settlement at a company you've been at for 4 months

Yes I will. The nature of the settlement has been provided in writing as has what it would mean to me has been provided in writing to each potentially impacted individual. Voluntary redundancy is not being offered but if you are at risk you can put yourself forward for redundancy at the businesses discretion

OP posts:
MadeOfAllWork · 14/01/2024 21:33

Almost certainly last in first out. You are the cheapest to get rid of. Also, this sounds like a shoddy company that you are best out of.

CrapBucket · 14/01/2024 21:37

Seeing as you have adjusted all the salaries I can’t see the point of most of the post… to summarise, you think you might lose your new job, should you ask for redundancy as you have multiple alternative job offers?

Obviously, yes you should.

Dearymee · 14/01/2024 21:37

Almost certainly last in first out. You are the cheapest to get rid of. Also, this sounds like a shoddy company that you are best out of.

The whole work force is relatively new, some poor man thought joined 3 weeks before the news. We were all floored as most big companies do a hiring freeze first not continuously hire but whatever

I’ve had quite few higher ups though say that I’m the best person for the job so I feel like I’m not sure I should leave it up to chance they’ll lay me off? Also the humiliation factor, it’s all quite hard for the self esteem

what would you do, would you put yourself forward for it?

OP posts:
Dearymee · 14/01/2024 21:39

CrapBucket · 14/01/2024 21:37

Seeing as you have adjusted all the salaries I can’t see the point of most of the post… to summarise, you think you might lose your new job, should you ask for redundancy as you have multiple alternative job offers?

Obviously, yes you should.

i have one or two potential lower paid offers, none are in writing yet and then a few other possibilities.

it’s that, the fact they are lower paid. By potentially 10k if my old employer decides to be sneaky

OP posts:
Annacondas · 14/01/2024 21:40

Why can’t you just wait a little bit and see if you get an actual offer from the interview mentioned in your post or your old employer offers a contract.

Tell both you need to move the process along, get an actual offer in writing then put yourself forward for redundancy.

Dearymee · 14/01/2024 21:44

Annacondas · 14/01/2024 21:40

Why can’t you just wait a little bit and see if you get an actual offer from the interview mentioned in your post or your old employer offers a contract.

Tell both you need to move the process along, get an actual offer in writing then put yourself forward for redundancy.

There is a deadline of when you can put yourself forward that’s most likely going to be before all of that as it is very very soon

ive said to my current employer need to know as have many, and nothing, it’s part of why it’s been done so poorly. Can’t get into the ins and outs but it’s definitely intentional to keep people guessing

OP posts:
Dearymee · 14/01/2024 22:05

Anyone? I’m like frozen and panicking

OP posts:
Annacondas · 14/01/2024 22:06

Why are you panicking.

Calm down and take a step back

Currently you have no offers on the table. So don’t put yourself forwards for redundancy.

It’s quite a simple choice

Dearymee · 14/01/2024 22:09

Annacondas · 14/01/2024 22:06

Why are you panicking.

Calm down and take a step back

Currently you have no offers on the table. So don’t put yourself forwards for redundancy.

It’s quite a simple choice

Because it’s a huge decision and I feel obligated now to return to my old employer

OP posts:
Annacondas · 14/01/2024 22:10

@Dearymee but you’re not obligated to return

Jesus wept.

Dearymee · 14/01/2024 22:14

Annacondas · 14/01/2024 22:10

@Dearymee but you’re not obligated to return

Jesus wept.

no need for snarky comments thanks, im already mentally struggling with this.

i feel as though I am as they have created a position for me and whilst yeah no gun is to my head, it would be a bridge forever burned

OP posts:
Annacondas · 14/01/2024 22:16

@Dearymee you seem to be the type of person who mentally struggles with a lot

Since common sense and practicality aren’t what you want to hear enjoy making this decision. Pointless for anyone to post since you’ve decided to make this into a drama

Charlie2121 · 14/01/2024 22:17

Last in first out is illegal.

Curlewwoohoo · 14/01/2024 22:19

When do you need to let your old employer know by?

Dearymee · 14/01/2024 22:20

Annacondas · 14/01/2024 22:16

@Dearymee you seem to be the type of person who mentally struggles with a lot

Since common sense and practicality aren’t what you want to hear enjoy making this decision. Pointless for anyone to post since you’ve decided to make this into a drama

And you sound like a nasty piece of work

but that is precisely want i want to hear and need to hear. My old employer is pretty much guaranteed but the salary not so much. Other offer 75% of the way and salary has been discussed. I want to leave my current job but it’s only worth while if I’m actually made redundant. If I quit, not so much

OP posts:
Mumof2teens79 · 14/01/2024 22:22

Dearymee · 14/01/2024 21:31

Yes I will. The nature of the settlement has been provided in writing as has what it would mean to me has been provided in writing to each potentially impacted individual. Voluntary redundancy is not being offered but if you are at risk you can put yourself forward for redundancy at the businesses discretion

Isn't that the definition of voluntary redundancy?

Dearymee · 14/01/2024 22:23

Curlewwoohoo · 14/01/2024 22:19

When do you need to let your old employer know by?

They’ll want an immediate answer when they issue a job offer because they’ve literally created a position out of thin air but it’s my current place, if I’m going to be selected for redundancy it’s fine but if not then I pretty much ‘have to’ quit ( I mean I don’t have a gun to my head but my old employer created a job out of nothing for me so I do feel indebted)

OP posts:
Dearymee · 14/01/2024 22:24

Mumof2teens79 · 14/01/2024 22:22

Isn't that the definition of voluntary redundancy?

Apparently not, because I think that might be business wide, I’ve not got a clue. You can put yourself forward for redundancy (if you’re at risk) but the business ultimately can say no, so i think that’s the distinction

OP posts:
Tel12 · 14/01/2024 22:27

With 50 percent of the workforce going I would say that you have a very high chance if being among them. Personally I would try to secure the post with your old employer. You can always look elsewhere when the dust settles. A bird in the hand and all that.

CrapBucket · 14/01/2024 22:28

Dearymee · 14/01/2024 22:23

They’ll want an immediate answer when they issue a job offer because they’ve literally created a position out of thin air but it’s my current place, if I’m going to be selected for redundancy it’s fine but if not then I pretty much ‘have to’ quit ( I mean I don’t have a gun to my head but my old employer created a job out of nothing for me so I do feel indebted)

This is not how businesses work. You say to them, thanks for the offer, I need to finalise arrangements at my current company, I will come back to you in the next 48 hours or so.

I am baffled how you can be juggling so many well paid opportunities and yet unable to deal with a simple situation?

laclochette · 14/01/2024 22:29

I wouldn't let yourself get too distracted by the settlement. I know £10k is a lot of money in some senses, but it's a one off payment. In a few years you won't remember it, and it's your salary, not anything like this that affects eg your lending power for a mortgage, your position from which to negotiate your NEXT role and salary, and so on. It is hard to say as you haven't given actual figures, but I'm going to hazard a guess that £10k is only equivalent to few months' take home pay.

I would also see your current job as a place to get away from. Even if you're kept on it'll be a horrible atmosphere, and there may be further cuts etc if they are in a bad way. You say leaving only makes sense if you get a settlement, but based on your other comments, I don't agree - it sounds like you don't respect the organisation much any more, and so the best thing is absolutely to move on.

So my approach would be - time to move on to the best possible role. It's better not to be made redundant, in case you don't have a job lined up immediately, so don't take redundancy for ultimately a pretty small settlement, but focus on finding the best possible job and getting out of there ASAP on your own time, without the stress of wondering if you can get a new role before you've spent your way through the £10k settlement.

In a year's time you can be comfortable in a whole new role and all this will be behind you.

Dearymee · 14/01/2024 22:29

Tel12 · 14/01/2024 22:27

With 50 percent of the workforce going I would say that you have a very high chance if being among them. Personally I would try to secure the post with your old employer. You can always look elsewhere when the dust settles. A bird in the hand and all that.

I think I’d need to stay at least a year, at least or that bridge would be burned

OP posts:
laclochette · 14/01/2024 22:31

Oh and don't feel indebted to your old employer. You're making a "distressed purchase" going there. Find the best role out there for you.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.