Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Parking! With diagram

20 replies

Prettypettytbh · 14/01/2024 14:14

Excuse the roughness of the sketch.

Am I being petty to be annoyed with the parking situation (mostly a joke but also not a joke)?

To explain the diagram:

Firstly the road is narrower than the sketch suggests.

Neighbour 3 has a disabled space on our side of the road.
No one in their household is disabled, he says they had it put in for a relative who does not live with them.
They never display a blue badge.
They park a very large vehicle (bigger than the space) here.
They also park another vehicle on the pavement outside their house.

Neighbour 3 ‘tells off’ delivery people for being in ‘their’ disabled space - very much considers it part of their property.

Neighbour 5 parks a large vehicle here.
They have an unused drive (I don’t know why) plus two cars parked on the pavement on their side.

I’m a bit sick of having to park in the tiniest space every time I come home. I know it’s street parking so doesn’t belong to anyone but these neighbours seem to think they are entitled to these spaces and I just have to fit in.

We’re putting a drive in as soon as we can but the attitude of them all taking up so much space really grates on me. Not to mention I’m fairly sure N3 are committing blue badge fraud.

To add to the situation, one of my children has been diagnosed with a disabling condition so we will likely have a blue badge in the future, thus actually entitling us to park in the space outside our house. I think that would go down like a cup of cold sick with them 😂

Parking! With diagram
OP posts:
FortofPud · 14/01/2024 14:18

It's completely annoying and unfair, wo you're not wrong. But if your driveway application is likely to be successful I would just hold out for that and steer clear of the neighbour drama, it's never worth the animosity if it can be avoided in my opinion.

Cherrysoup · 14/01/2024 14:18

Anybody with a blue badge can park on a disabled space, so tough on the neighbour, they shouldn’t be using the space unless one of the household has a blue badge.

ClaudiaWinklemansEyeliner · 14/01/2024 14:22

I don't understand the setup - is it council owned on-street parking?
How can a neighbour have a private disabled space on the street?
How come neighbour doesn't get tickets for parking there without a blue badge?

Tinkerbyebye · 14/01/2024 14:22

YANBU.

that said when you get your drive in make sure you also ask for a H bar forthe dropped curb to make it clear otherwise they may just block you in

as tothe disabled space it’s for anyone with a blue badge so yes you can park there

mouseychick · 14/01/2024 14:24

Get a blue badge bay outside your house if you're entitled to one. Who gives a fuck about the neighbours.

OldTinHat · 14/01/2024 14:24

I have a blue badge. I have an allocated space outside my house marked in white. As soon as I go out in my car, the space is taken by any old bod, badge or no badge.

If the disabled bay is marked in white paint then it is there as a 'courtesy' and absolutely anyone can park there. No ticket will be given and you absolutely can park your own car there.

Drives me insane as I need that space and have to pay £300 for a parking permit in a car park several roads over for when the road is full. But you can park in that space if you want to.

ClaudiaWinklemansEyeliner · 14/01/2024 14:25

Also, looking at the diagram (thank you!) Is it a single yellow between the spaces labelled N3 and N5? If not are you sure you'll be able to get a driveway in, legally?
Seem to recall you can't drive over a pavement to access a driveway, you need a dropped kerb.

Prettypettytbh · 14/01/2024 15:10

@OldTinHat Thats so unfair. I was under the impression that you did need to display a blue badge to be allowed to park in disabled bays. I have a lot of disabled people in my family and the disabled spaces outside their houses are such a godsend for their independence - a large part of why I’m so irked by the neighbours abuse of the system.

OP posts:
Prettypettytbh · 14/01/2024 15:13

@ClaudiaWinklemansEyeliner

Its ex council semis. Most have driveways but the road is chocka block with parking as well.

I don’t know why they’ve never had a ticket but I think our street is off the beaten path for traffic wardens in our town so they’ve got comfortable with it.

No white line so hopefully dropped kerb application will be relative straight forward, particularly the president of so many other houses having them (fingers crossed)

OP posts:
Ilovemyshed · 14/01/2024 15:19

Prettypettytbh · 14/01/2024 15:13

@ClaudiaWinklemansEyeliner

Its ex council semis. Most have driveways but the road is chocka block with parking as well.

I don’t know why they’ve never had a ticket but I think our street is off the beaten path for traffic wardens in our town so they’ve got comfortable with it.

No white line so hopefully dropped kerb application will be relative straight forward, particularly the president of so many other houses having them (fingers crossed)

Personally I'd be searching out a local TW and telling them of the daily win they can have in their target to issue tickets.

Needanewnamebeingwatched · 14/01/2024 15:20

Anybody with a blue badge can park on a disabled space, so tough on the neighbour, they shouldn’t be using the space unless one of the household has a blue badge.

Anybody can park in a disabled space, whether disabled or not.

Its an advisory, not mandatory space

Fuck em...... park in the space

MadeOfAllWork · 14/01/2024 15:23

Can you contact the council and suggest a traffic warden might want to head your way?

Flopsythebunny · 14/01/2024 15:30

Only if the space is marked in white. My council do them in yellow so that only people with blue badges can park in them. If someone without a blue badge parks in one, we have a number to ring and they a ticket

FixTheBone · 14/01/2024 15:32

Depends on the bay...

White lines and no other signage - is there as a courtesy, so technically anyone can park there.... In the same way as anyone can walk up to the front of a queue and push in, it's not illegal, but marks you out as an entitled wanker. However given the particular circumstances here, OP sounds like they have just as much right as the neighbour to use this bay.

Yellow lines and on street signage indicates a designated disabled space that can only be used by a blue badge holder.

shutupjustine · 14/01/2024 15:51

Have you looked at your council rules for that disabled bay type?

In our council they’re advisory, meaning ANYONE can park in it. I always find it hilarious when neighbours who see it as their space, despite not being disabled, try and get uppity about others using it. Rules are the rules.

OldTinHat · 14/01/2024 15:54

@FixTheBone That's absolutely how I describe it! Would you walk past a queue and just barge first in line!

But it is what is.

GabriellaMontez · 14/01/2024 16:24

They have no more right to the disabled space than you.

Start parking in it. If they object tell them you've spoken to the council and it's not theirs.

Neriah · 14/01/2024 16:45

Actually, on street spaces like tghis are courtesy only - anyone can park there, disabled or not. I know this and I am disabled.

Needanewnamebeingwatched · 14/01/2024 17:39

Well yes, I knew it was white spaces only, forgot to add that bit in.

Prettypettytbh · 14/01/2024 21:54

Thanks for making me feel vindicated in my annoyance with the entitled attitude they’ve got.

I think I’ll avoid falling out for now because neighbour fallouts make things so miserable - but if we can’t put a drive in for some reason then I will just park there. I will update if I do 😂

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.