Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To be on Team Badger with this one?

14 replies

HiccupHippup · 14/01/2024 08:23

I have an allotment, one of about 50 plots. They were created about 10 years ago. I’ve lived next door to the field they were made in for 40 years. During that time the badger population has drastically decreased and I rarely see signs of them anymore (the other 3 fields became housing estates, with more under construction at the moment).
Until one has dug under my shed on my allotment plot! (I noticed before Christmas).
The committee have contacted me to say they’ve found a hole on my plot and have filled it in… (illegally I think).
Instinctively I’m on the badgers side here as we’ve stolen so much of their environment but I do admit my allotment is a hobby for me and I don’t rely on it to feed myself/family, so I’m not precious about it like many of the committee. And I mostly prefer animals to people.

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

52 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
10%
You are NOT being unreasonable
90%
SurvivingNotThriving · 14/01/2024 08:28

I'm with you, OP. Team badger all the way.

ChardonnaysBeastlyCat · 14/01/2024 08:32

Go Badger!

SleepyHedgehog · 14/01/2024 08:34

Would've thought a badger on patrol to eat the slugs and snails would be a nice addition to the allotment team

LammasEve · 14/01/2024 08:34

It's illegal to interfere with a badger sett, so the committee should be reported to the police for wildlife crime. I would report them, I'm on team Badger every time. As you say humans have encroached on their homes for decades, theure just trying to survive.

AlwaysGinPlease · 14/01/2024 08:44

It's illegal to interfere with a badger sett, so the committee should be reported to the police for wildlife crime. I would report them, I'm on team Badger every time. As you say humans have encroached on their homes for decades, theure just trying to survive.

This, absolutely. Report the evil fuckers.

DeadButDelicious · 14/01/2024 08:47

Team badger all the way. I'd report them.

katmarie · 14/01/2024 08:49

Team badger all the way! What they've done is illegal.

Geminio · 14/01/2024 09:15

Team badger definitely.

We had badgers on our allotment a couple of years ago, it was our first year there, they absolutely decimated my sweetcorn ate the lot, they didn’t touch anything else at all.

I noticed afterwards that other plot holders had fenced their sweetcorn in, speaking to them it’s the only crop the badgers have ever shown any interest in.

GenXisthebest · 14/01/2024 09:16

I'd report them too.

SoupDragon · 14/01/2024 09:20

Team badger!

you need all sorts of permits to fill in badger setts. It's quite expensive! They need to be blocked with one way doors to ensure any badgers inside can get out for a start.

They can tunnel quite extensively though which can be problematic.

MissingMoominMamma · 14/01/2024 09:22

I can’t believe they did that! Report them!

Saz12 · 14/01/2024 09:26

I'd speak to them directly - tell them it was a badger sett, explain badgers have become rare in your area since the housing estates were built, and make it clear you need the badger setts to be left alone, and its illegal to disturb them anyway.

LlynTegid · 14/01/2024 09:44

I think you should report them to the police. If you had been consulted you would have told them why it was there.

IbizaToTheNorfolkBroads · 14/01/2024 09:50

This

To fill in a badger sett, the law require ls you to prove that it has not been used for 28 days (video cameras) and there are only certain times of year this proof is valid )I've alway done it late during late spring I seem to remember , but it's been a few years).

I'm not sure if there are specified circumstances where you can close a sett at all. In my case, I have closed setts (legally, under the guidance of an ecologist with the appropriate Natural England training) as the setts were within a flood embankment, and threatening its integrity - posing a flood risk to several hundred properties.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.