Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

CF landlord withholding deposit

46 replies

KarenNotAKaren · 13/01/2024 14:09

So I moved out a rental property at the beginning of the month (2nd). The landlord only just went on Thursday, without me, to inspect the property. He’s been ill, apparently (for context he was a lunatic and when I cancelled an inspection because my own DD was ill he screamed down the phone at me calling me a liar).

I was meant to drop the keys off with a neighbour on the 2nd but when I knocked they weren’t in. So I went back on the 3rd to make sure they definitely got the keys. He has tried to charge me £40 for retaining the keys.

On Thursday he sent me a text saying “Everything looks fine. Just waiting on this £40 from you now.” I argued the toss and said he absolutely cannot expect me to pay £40 for keeping a set of keys overnight.

No reply. Yesterday I texted to ask him when I will get the deposit sent back.

Got a reply to say that he is waiting on quotes for a deep clean and oven clean and that I left a poo in the toilet, and how dare I be so pressing and impatient with him he has other things to do.

AIBU to think he’s off his rocker? On Thursday everything is fine and then suddenly, when I haven’t been present for an inspection, it needs a deep clean and oven clean just because I won’t send him £40?

Hes now ignoring me. The deposit is £1200. I really could do with it back. It’s protected in a scheme but really I CBA going through all that grief

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

95 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
13%
You are NOT being unreasonable
87%
Theunamedcat · 13/01/2024 14:10

It's not really grief it's a simple process apparently and you will get your money back don't let him keep it

MojoMoon · 13/01/2024 14:11

It's pretty simple going to the deposit protection agency.
Just crack on with that and be glad you never need contact him again directly.

Theunamedcat · 13/01/2024 14:11

And check your contract unless it says your liable for a deep clean he can't charge you anyway

You did at least take pictures of the property before you left didn't you?

LIZS · 13/01/2024 14:12

Just apply to the scheme for the money back. He will need to justify any dispute.

VanCleefArpels · 13/01/2024 14:13

Your only remedy is the DPS dispute process. Did you take photos on departure? Was a proper inventory done when your tenancy started?

OakleyStreetisnotinChelsea · 13/01/2024 14:13

Unless things have changed, it is you who requests your deposit back and the scheme will release it to you. It would be for him to provide evidence for anything he thinks he should claim for. Even if you had left a poo in the loo the deposit scheme would return your money as all it would need is a flush not any remedial work.

Olika · 13/01/2024 14:15

Is your deposit on a deposit scheme account? If so you can start return process and he landlord has x time to respond.

catelynjane · 13/01/2024 14:17

I assume your deposit is protected? Can't you request it back via the scheme?

ConsuelaHammock · 13/01/2024 14:18

Request the deposit back! Did you leave a poo in the loo?

C00k · 13/01/2024 14:18

It’d be good if people bothered to read the original post before replying.

There is no grief, @KarenNotAKaren The protection scheme will sort it.

KarenNotAKaren · 13/01/2024 14:27

To clarify I did not leave a poo on the loo, apparently he has a picture 🤣 I strongly suspect him or his family have had a poo and fancy blaming it on me

OP posts:
KarenNotAKaren · 13/01/2024 14:27

Theunamedcat · 13/01/2024 14:11

And check your contract unless it says your liable for a deep clean he can't charge you anyway

You did at least take pictures of the property before you left didn't you?

Of course!

OP posts:
GrannyAchingsShepherdsHut · 13/01/2024 14:32

And do you have condition photos from the landlord from when you moved in?

Bibbidybobbidyroo · 13/01/2024 14:39

Yes he is a power hungry sneaky bastard.

go straight to DPS. My guess is be thinks he can intimidate and embarrass you hence talking about poop in a toilet (where poo generally goes!!!)

ClareWilsonNS · 13/01/2024 14:41

Apply through the deposit protection scheme now, and fear not, the landlord has to jump through hoops to prove he is entitled to retain some of the deposit. The scheme will definitely not allow money to be deducted for silly claims like a poo in the loo or key kept overnight. Cleaning bills they may allow, if he can supply them with photos from when you moved in showing eg the oven was previously sparkling.

thaisweetchill · 13/01/2024 14:43

Hopefully you took photos prior to handing back the keys to prove his lying?

If so, explain this to the deposit scheme.

Madwomanuptheroad29 · 13/01/2024 14:45

Has your deposit been lodged with one of the protection schemes? If not your landlord has actually broken the law and the fine for that is in all likelyhood significantly more than the deposit.
It may be a good idea to point that out to them. Especially as there are texts indicating that there has indeed a deposit been taken.
If the deposit has been appropriately lodged your landlord should have given you the details directly and you can apply to them directly. If he did not give you the details, he has acted illegally so just point that out to him.
From memory the penalty for landlords for not complying with deposit scheme rules is noticeable enough. It is to weed out slum landlords.

ElFupacabra · 13/01/2024 14:54

Madwomanuptheroad29 · 13/01/2024 14:45

Has your deposit been lodged with one of the protection schemes? If not your landlord has actually broken the law and the fine for that is in all likelyhood significantly more than the deposit.
It may be a good idea to point that out to them. Especially as there are texts indicating that there has indeed a deposit been taken.
If the deposit has been appropriately lodged your landlord should have given you the details directly and you can apply to them directly. If he did not give you the details, he has acted illegally so just point that out to him.
From memory the penalty for landlords for not complying with deposit scheme rules is noticeable enough. It is to weed out slum landlords.

Literally the last line of the op ....

It’s protected in a scheme but really I CBA going through all that grief

Spirallingdownwards · 13/01/2024 14:58

However if you didn't give keys back until a day later you do remain liable for an extra day's rent. So if the rent x 12 divided by 365 is equal to £40 you do owe that.

spottedinthewilds · 13/01/2024 14:59

Pay the £40 and dispute the rest.

TousBous · 13/01/2024 15:00

Just go to deposit scheme. It will be a whole lot less hassle than trying to get the money back from the landlord.

Your trump card is that he told you everything was fine after the inspection and he just wanted £40 for the keys. I suppose you could point that out to him and send him your photos of the items he is now trying to claim for to show that you have evidence that they were clean (or as clean as they were in the check in inventory) and that he agreed that after the inspection.

Unfortunately, he can charge you for not returning the keys on time. He can charge you rent until the time that the keys were returned (so 1 day) and the cost of replacing the keys/lock IF he had to replace them to gain access and has receipts.

Snowydaysfaraway · 13/01/2024 15:02

Suggest to him he sends the poo away for dna analysis to prove it's yours...

Cherrysoup · 13/01/2024 15:07

Tell him you have dated photos and go through the scheme. Can’t be arsed? For £1200?! 🤣

KarenNotAKaren · 13/01/2024 15:14

GrannyAchingsShepherdsHut · 13/01/2024 14:32

And do you have condition photos from the landlord from when you moved in?

Yes - they’re basically identical pictures

OP posts:
Madwomanuptheroad29 · 13/01/2024 15:32

Can't be arsed? Unless he is challenged he will do it again to the next person.
Was the deposit protected?

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.