Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Help toddler diarrhoea

22 replies

janbaby2 · 10/01/2024 23:07

Posted about this in parenting but no replies so sorry but posting for traffic here.

My nearly 2 year old has had diarrhoea for about a week now. She's absolutely fine within herself, not showing any signs of illness, full appetite, playing and very happy. But she's having very loose stools very regularly and it's causing her to have a really sore bum. I'm using nappy cream but I don't know what's causing it, why is it going on so long?

I don't think it's a bug because of the longevity and the fact she's been well in herself. She's had CMPA as a baby but we've been doing the milk ladder for months and she's been tolerating yoghurts and other dairy products well. I don't know if the allergy can suddenly come back?

Does anyone have any advice?

OP posts:
GPsdilema · 10/01/2024 23:15

Is she cutting teeth? My DS had awful poos when his teeth were coming through - particularly molars.

anarchicparadise · 10/01/2024 23:26

my younger ds was prone to loose stools and multiple poos a day until he was trained at 2yrs 6m. It worried me that he wouldn’t be able to be toilet trained as he’d be running to the toilet.

thankfully it seemed to resolve as he was trained 🤷🏻‍♀️

janbaby2 · 10/01/2024 23:29

She had a lot of this when she was younger and cutting teeth but I can't see any new ones coming through. I did initially think it was a bug because it was so severe but it's been going on for about a week now. Tends to be a very loose BM after every meal, sometimes in between too.

She's so sore on her bum bless her. But other than that she's totally happy and well within herself, it's very strange.

OP posts:
Flamingogirl08 · 10/01/2024 23:31

Mine has phases like this and gets terrible nappy rash because of it. I just try and bulk out her stools by feeding her things like toast, rice, bananas. Usually sorts itself out.

I also bath in just warm water every day and then once I've dried her let her have a good half hour without a nappy. Usually with a dance party in the bathroom, easy to clean if she wees 😂

ODFOx · 10/01/2024 23:35

Toddler diarrhoea is a thing, due to developing bowel and broadening menu. If it goes on for weeks and there's no obvious cause (keep a food diary) and she isn't unwell apart from her bum then (unless she needs a GP note for nursery) then just crack on. Daily baths and metanium (other barrier creams are available) and try not to worry.

janbaby2 · 11/01/2024 22:23

This has still been going on today and it's gotten so bad she now has two open sores on her bum. I feel so bad for her.

She's absolutely fine within herself. Eating and playing like normal. But she's pooping a lot and it's not always obvious. And changing her is a nightmare because it's so sore she's just thrashing around and making a huge mess and it's really hard to clean her and apply cream :-(

OP posts:
Zanina · 11/01/2024 22:31

I would recommend washing her instead of just wet wipes (wash her down in the bath waist down) this will help prevent and cure the nappy rash. Vaseline can sometimes be better than nappy cream. Might be worth giving lots of Crackers/ toast/ breadsticks and leave the dairy for a few days if you suspect it.

Flamingogirl08 · 11/01/2024 22:56

Yes, daily warm baths to wash her. As much nappy free time as you can manage and get some metanium in the yellow tube.

For a few days just a boring carby diet with few fruits and leave the dairy alone.

lemmein · 12/01/2024 02:25

My grandson was the same at that age - dr just said it was toddler diarrhoea and to use that yellow cream, think a pp has mentioned it. We tried everything and nothing worked, it just went on its own eventually.

Sorry, I know that's not what you'll want to hear, it's really distressing for them (and you!) - it looked like acid burns on my grandson Sad. I'd never heard of toddler diarrhoea before, I thought the doc was just stating the bloody obvious but like a pp said, it's a thing!

Cindy1802 · 12/01/2024 02:57

My son was diagnosed with toddler diarrhoea at 18 months - he was completely well in himself, he just had constant diarrhoea for weeks.

There's not much you can do about it, but in our case there were certain foods which triggered it and made it worse. For us it was high fibre cereals- weetabix, bran flakes etc. We cut those out and the extremely watery poos stopped and allowed his bum to heal and it was much more manageable.

He continued with sloppy poos for another year, until we tried to potty train - we realised he had little control over his poos so we looked into his diet to try and find another trigger food. Turns out it was cows milk - we removed that from his diet and it made a HUGE difference - he was doing solid stools for the first time in over a year, and successfully potty trained.

He's now almost 3, and still avoids high fibre cereals and cows milk. He can now tolerate a bit of cows milk, but not the cereals - he has really runny poos for a day if he eats those.

Frozensun · 12/01/2024 03:01

consider too what she’s eating. Too much of particular groups can cause it - fruit (fructose overload), dairy (lactose overload)

SausageMonkey2 · 12/01/2024 03:11

Get timodene cream
from your gp it’s magic.

SausageMonkey2 · 12/01/2024 03:11

High fat food like
avocado will slow
down the transit time.

janbaby2 · 12/01/2024 10:14

Thank you for the replies. Unfortunately it's gotten so bad she's now got open sores on her bum that are bleeding when I clean her. I'm trying to be as gentle as I can but she's writhing and thrashing about which makes it really hard.

I'm using the yellow nappy cream which seems good as a barrier cream but does anyone know of anything that might help heal the open bits?

The nappies are mucousy which makes me think it could be the dairy allergy again. We'd gotten quite high on the milk ladder and she's been tolerating yoghurt and cheese for weeks so don't know what's triggered this but it's really awful for her. As I said she's fine in herself but nappy changes are so painful.

OP posts:
botheredand · 12/01/2024 10:27

janbaby2 · 12/01/2024 10:14

Thank you for the replies. Unfortunately it's gotten so bad she's now got open sores on her bum that are bleeding when I clean her. I'm trying to be as gentle as I can but she's writhing and thrashing about which makes it really hard.

I'm using the yellow nappy cream which seems good as a barrier cream but does anyone know of anything that might help heal the open bits?

The nappies are mucousy which makes me think it could be the dairy allergy again. We'd gotten quite high on the milk ladder and she's been tolerating yoghurt and cheese for weeks so don't know what's triggered this but it's really awful for her. As I said she's fine in herself but nappy changes are so painful.

She needs to see GP, open sores are at risk of infection and she's at risk of dehydration. Diarrhoea that severe should be checked out within 48 hours, not left this long.

janbaby2 · 12/01/2024 10:31

@botheredand she's drinking and eating like normal, lots of wet nappies and no signs of dehydration at all. She isn't unwell this is why is so confusing.

OP posts:
janbaby2 · 12/01/2024 10:36

And actually according to what I've read online it's not classed as severe. She's going between 3-5 times a day which is actually classed as mild.

OP posts:
cinnamonbiscuit · 12/01/2024 11:22

Hi OP, my nearly 3 year old has been suffering from toddler diarrhea for months now. I say suffering but she's completely well apart from usually one very loose stool a day, sometimes two. If this is what your DC has, there's little you can do except be mindful of diet- you can Google things to avoid, it tends to be things like fruit juice and raisins but different triggers for different children. Avoiding these foods has slightly improved things for us.

If you contact the GP they should send her for a blood test and ask you to bring in a stool sample, this will rule out a few things. It could be allergies but that would require further testing. We decided not to do further testing because our DC has no other symptoms of anything at all, just the loose stools. Our GP said this usually stops by age 4(!) Hoping it doesn't take that long!! But it has been at least 6 months now.

If you can get her seen by the GP they can have a look at her bum and maybe prescribe something to help with the rash. I hope things improve for you soon, I know how stressful it can be Flowers

soupandcrackers · 12/01/2024 11:40

Hi OP, my 2yo had 10 days of a suspected viral gastroenteritis in October. She had no other symptoms either: No fever, drinking and eating like normal. However, the diarrhoea was the worst I've ever seen though. I think on the worst day I had to change her nappy 11 times. She had awful sores as it just seemed to burn her. The doctor asked us to not give her fatty dairy foods like yogurt, or even milk, as it tended to make it worse.

As a PP suggested I would also recommend bathing her rather than just using wet wipes.

Good luck, it's never fun but hopefully will be over soon!

janbaby2 · 12/01/2024 11:46

I've had a call back from the nurse who basically advised all the things on this thread - nappy free time, bathing rather than wiping. I asked about the likelihood of infection and she said to just keep using a barrier cream. I didn't get to speak to a GP but she did say she'd ask if there was any cream the GP could prescribe to speed up healing.

So overall it seems to be a ride it out situation unless it gets a lot worse and then I'll go back.

Her poo is very much like her pre non dairy poo (very stinky and lots of mucus) so I'm going to go back to dairy free for a while and see if that helps. Disheartening though as she was doing brilliantly on the milk ladder and we thought she was ok.

OP posts:
1Step2Step · 12/01/2024 11:49

A friend’s daughter had instant diarrhoea. She ended up being diagnosed with Celiac disease

janbaby2 · 12/01/2024 14:49

It wasn't like this at the start but I've noticed it's got a horrible fishy smell to it now too. Really disgusting. Envy

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.