My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To ask you what you think makes a good parent?

8 replies

FuckOffTom · 09/01/2024 14:09

I have a 6 yo. He is doing very well at school, no issues or concerns from teachers. Seems very confident and able etc but I can’t help shake the feeling that I am not doing enough to be a good parent to him.

What in your opinion makes a good parent?
He is quite a fussy eater - he will try anything but if he doesn’t like it, it’ll make him wretch and I don’t like to force him to eat stuff like that

I think I maybe don’t spend enough time playing with him. We do play together but I usually favour taking him out to places over playing

I never dismiss how he feels about anything, I try and take anything that upsets him seriously as I want him to feel he can rely on me

I do read to him every night

I think I probably let him watch a bit too much TV and have been guilty of us doing TV dinners too much - I really want to change this

I know striving for perfection isn’t realistic, but I do worry that I am letting him down. Does anyone else feel this way?

OP posts:
maybein2022 · 09/01/2024 14:16

OP, you sound like you’re doing a great job. Good parents can take so many forms, some good parents are good at playing, some are amazing at reading stories, some cook fresh food every single day, some work very hard outside the home to give their children opportunities, some live in poverty but feed their children before themselves, (not having enough food obviously shouldn’t be happening at all).

Someone once said (I can’t remember where I read it) that as long as children are warm, safe and fed the rest is middle class guilt. I wouldn’t go that far, I think there are things that make good parents beyond this (being kind, listening to your child, playing with them, reading to them, doing your best with healthy food, giving them time outside, opportunities to play etc).

Hillarious · 09/01/2024 14:17

Your time and patience are important.

gwenneh · 09/01/2024 14:21

You sound like my definition of a good parent, balancing new experiences and developing autonomy with needs being met.

I think we all feel guilty about aspects of our parenting at times.

myairpods · 09/01/2024 14:21

You worrying about whether you're doing enough just shows how good you are as a parent. You are doing more than a lot of parents in this world. To me personally, showing love, supporting them and being there for them is what they will always remember and they will appreciate it and take it with them if they choose to have their own children in the future.

Yuckyyuckyuckity · 09/01/2024 14:24

Patience, time, affection, effort, education.

Other than the obvious absolute essentials like food, safe environment, clothing, I'd say those are the top 5, not necessarily in that order.

FuckOffTom · 09/01/2024 14:27

I definitely don’t scrimp on the affection 😂
I like to think he knows he can come to me if he needs to. For example, on the odd time he struggles with getting to sleep because he is worrying about something (which doesn’t happen too often)
I should add, I am separated from his dad but we each have him half the week. Dad is his favourite and has started essentially telling me that more and more which I am trying not to take to heart but it’s difficult

OP posts:
Mayorq · 09/01/2024 14:30

Patience, empathy, consistency, boundaries, affection.

Katemax82 · 09/01/2024 15:12

You sound like a good parent to me

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.