Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

AIBU Move in? Roof Leak(!)

4 replies

secular37 · 05/01/2024 21:22

Sorry... not really an AIBU question but I need urgent answers and this is the only thread that I know which has more traffic. I am just so desperate (!)

I have been offered a council property and been waiting three months to move into due to the number of urgent repairs that the council did not fix before I signed the tenancy (roll eyes).

I have planned to move within the next two weeks but when I went to go and do something at the new property, I realised that the roof was leaking! The children's bedrooms are upstairs and the walls are ceilings are wet, damp and splitting. I've already planned to put carpets in and paint the DC's room but now I can't!

I've contacted the council and they've said they won't get someone until the end of the month (!) to take a look at the property and then they will need to book in scaffolding..

I don't know what to do and I am very stressed. I am currently living at my mum's temporarily due to the house move- but my mum is getting rather annoyed as we have been at hers for the past three months (as we expected to move in ASAP into the new property but due to repairs couldn't).

What should I do? Should I still paint the bedrooms and the carpets anyway? Should I delay the move or should I just move in regardless and DC's and I can sleep in the living room, at the new house, whilst the rooms are being sorted? Should I only carpet the remaining of the house which does not have the leak (e.g., the living room, hallway and stairs as we just have floorboards!!).

Any answers will be greatly appreciated. I need to sort out something FAST.

OP posts:
Youremylobster87 · 05/01/2024 21:35

I would personally wait until the leak is sorted. They could say the end of the month, but it could take longer if they need to wait for parts etc. I'd also ask for a decorating grant to go towards the painting of the walls if they have been ruined.

FuckinghellthatsUnbelievable · 05/01/2024 21:45

I’d move in anyway as your mum is annoyedI wouldn’t spend a lot of money getting it nice as good chance it’ll be ruined. You can cover floors cheaply on a temporary basis. Big foam tiles, rolls of rubber or vinyl, Lino off cuts,

ComtesseDeSpair · 05/01/2024 21:51

Move in, sleep on mattresses in the living room until the roof is fixed, then look to decorate. Just what you have to do sometimes when renovating whatever your tenure. Make it a bit like a camping adventure for the DC. Look on Freecycle / Next Door etc for any rugs being given away to temporarily cover the floorboards.

secular37 · 05/01/2024 22:06

ComtesseDeSpair · 05/01/2024 21:51

Move in, sleep on mattresses in the living room until the roof is fixed, then look to decorate. Just what you have to do sometimes when renovating whatever your tenure. Make it a bit like a camping adventure for the DC. Look on Freecycle / Next Door etc for any rugs being given away to temporarily cover the floorboards.

Edited

We have old massive rugs at the new place and the DC's and I have slept over night a few times but it had been so stressful. The DC's have additional needs. One just runs around every where and I'm forever telling them to be careful and the older one has been having horrendous meltdowns and is difficult to contain him when his in that state. Sigh. This has been stressful.

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.