Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Diabetic DH arguments

10 replies

BringMeSunshine48 · 04/01/2024 22:40

DH was diagnosed with type 2 last year.

He made a huge effort to reverse it with diet and did brilliantly, I was so proud!

The 4 months that followed he's fallen off the wagon and then some.

He's due bloods next month and is now super on it again.

He can't just 'be good' for blood tests, this had to be a lifetime change.

It's leading to huge arguments as he just won't listen at all and gorges on crap.

Anyone else relate?

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

28 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
21%
You are NOT being unreasonable
79%
EverDecreasingStandards · 04/01/2024 22:44

The HBA1C blood test looks at markers in the blood for the last 3 months, so changing his diet for a few weeks before a blood test is a bit useless.

The HbA1c test, however, is a marker of the average glucose levels spread over a two- to three-month period
HbA1c does not change quickly because the red blood cells in your circulation last for around 3-4 months

Lizzieregina · 04/01/2024 22:45

Unfortunately he’s a full grown adult and gets to make bad choices.

I tell my DH that he can make all the bad choices he wants but I don’t want to know or hear about them if/when they become problematic. I’m doing my best to mind my health and he can do the same or suffer the consequences.

Scarletttulips · 04/01/2024 22:50

Why the arguments? That’s not how people change.

You need to back off and let him deal with the consequences.

Its harder to deal with diabetics than reduce calories - he needs to learn the hard way.

Elisheva · 04/01/2024 22:58

My dh was diagnosed with diabetes 20 years ago. He was exactly like your husband and periodically engaged with it and ignored it.
Last Easter he had his leg amputated, he has kidney failure and is on dialysis, he is no longer able to drive because of his eyesight, he recently had four fingers amputated and has now been in hospital for two months because of recurrent infections. He is struggling to eat and is being tube fed as he is malnourished. He had a blood transfusion yesterday as he is anaemic.
He is 50.

DeeCeeCherry · 04/01/2024 23:11

Why are you arguing with him?Raising your stress levels over it is pointless. He's a grown man, he has choices. As do you. You can decide if youre going to be his carer or not. The consequences of not being mindful of his Diabetes are going to be dreadful for him. & you’ll be impacted as well.

BringMeSunshine48 · 04/01/2024 23:16

Elisheva · 04/01/2024 22:58

My dh was diagnosed with diabetes 20 years ago. He was exactly like your husband and periodically engaged with it and ignored it.
Last Easter he had his leg amputated, he has kidney failure and is on dialysis, he is no longer able to drive because of his eyesight, he recently had four fingers amputated and has now been in hospital for two months because of recurrent infections. He is struggling to eat and is being tube fed as he is malnourished. He had a blood transfusion yesterday as he is anaemic.
He is 50.

Gosh, so sorry to hear this 😢
And this is why we argue, because DH says I nag him, when all I'm trying to do is help and keep him on track.

OP posts:
Elisheva · 04/01/2024 23:35

Has he got life insurance?

LonelynSad · 05/01/2024 16:30

@BringMeSunshine48 Please show your DH Elishava's post....

BringMeSunshine48 · 05/01/2024 16:45

Elisheva · 04/01/2024 23:35

Has he got life insurance?

Yes we have life insurance. He seems determined at the moment to get back on track, but he goes at it full gusto then tapers off. Reminds me of me when I start a January diet 😬

OP posts:
pjani · 05/01/2024 16:47

Any chance he is eligible for one of these new diabetes drugs? It’s incredibly hard to change lifelong habits, at least he is trying, but I hear you that you’re worried.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.