Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To ask for tips and guidance?

5 replies

secretcode · 01/01/2024 20:14

I'm a 33 year old woman. I grew up with a mentally Ill and addicted father. I was emotionally and physically abused by my mother growing up (although we have a fantastic relationship now and I truly love her). Fell pregnant 3 times between the age of 16 and 17 and was forced into abortion each time, however, never had contraception options discussed.

Started drinking at 13, thrown out of my mums house at 16, left school without any qualifications. Went homeless with my ex boyfriend - toxic and abusive relationship. Arrested twice at 17 and then once at 19. Worked dead end jobs, lived in poverty.

Had my daughter at 21, worked in a minimum wage job for 5 years. At 26 had a fall out with my boss and left the job. Applied for college, since I didn't have any qualifications, did an access course.

Now I am a month away from being a qualified social worker (masters will be granted in the summer after my dissertation). Have a degree in politics and society. Nice house, pay my own bills, wee car, happy and content.

I'm not writing this post to brag, although I am majorly proud of myself. I think the best experience in these types of jobs are lived experience. However, I post here asking for some tips and guidance.

I come to the end of my second placement (only 2 in a postgrad course) and I feel somewhat ready. However, there's still loads I need to learn. And I just wonder if there are any other social workers that can lend me their advice?

My placements have been criminal justice and mental health where I feel I am best placed and have received compliments on my interaction with service users. But I would love some advice on how to balance work and life and how to continue this 'bright eyed and bushy tailed' outlook?

Right now I feel I am trying to impress people, and employers etc. but how do I continue on when I am in a job role?

OP posts:
Thepeopleversuswork · 01/01/2024 20:18

No advice at all and I know nothing about social work but just wanted to say congrats for turning your life around. You should be bloody proud of yourself.

secretcode · 01/01/2024 20:20

Thepeopleversuswork · 01/01/2024 20:18

No advice at all and I know nothing about social work but just wanted to say congrats for turning your life around. You should be bloody proud of yourself.

Aw thank you, I am proud but also feels a bit like a dream. All this work to be so close. But very scared of fucking it up and being an awful social worker.

OP posts:
magicscares · 01/01/2024 20:27

I’ve been a Sw now for coming up 15 years. Still really enjoy my job. So much has to do with being in a supportive team & with an understanding manager. Take opportunities if they come up for reflective practice & training, to get into a job that fits best with your life. Good luck! It’s tough, but remember there are many different avenues you can follow if a specific team isn’t for you.

shellyleppard · 01/01/2024 20:29

Secretcode......you have done fantastic well. That alone deserves an award in my humble opinion

secretcode · 01/01/2024 21:35

Bump

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.