My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To think this isn’t enough to stop cross contamination?

2 replies

AprMayJune · 31/12/2023 13:14

Ordered a hot drink today in a cafe. I usually have an alternative milk as dairy doesn’t agree with me.

I watched the barista make it and noticed they poured cows milk into the mug first. Realised their mistake, poured it out, gave it a quick rinse for probably less than two seconds with cold water then poured the alternative milk into it and made the drink.
I hate complaining but I didn’t want to risk drinking this as it hadn’t been washed with soap. Ideally I would hope they used different jugs for dairy and non dairy to be honest - especially given I could see multiple jugs just lying about on the side. I don’t have a severe allergy, but what if I was someone that did? I quietly and politely explained the situation and asked them if they wouldn’t mind making it again but she pulled a face as if it was a chore to do this.

Was I being unreasonable to point this out to the staff member?

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

23 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
22%
You are NOT being unreasonable
78%
ANightmareBeforeChristmas · 31/12/2023 13:19

Not unreasonable - why on earth didn't they use a new cup?

IglesiasPiggl · 31/12/2023 13:19

That does sound pretty lax in this situation. Generally though, I think if anyone has a severe allergy, it's unfortunately risky to rely on no cross contamination in cafe environments. I don't think I would, if my life or good health depended on an individual barista being properly observant.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.