Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Laparoscopy and hysteroscopy on period

8 replies

hippopotato · 19/10/2022 00:17

Following on from my previous thread - I have just realised I'm going to be on my period during my laparoscopy and hysteroscopy!

Really worried this is going to be even more painful than it should be already. Plus not the nicest for the surgeons?!

I can't rearrange as they don't have any other dates to offer me.

Does anyone have any advice please??

OP posts:
pennyhi · 19/10/2022 00:30

I had a laparoscopy for endo recently and started my period the day of the surgery. I asked the surgeon if it would be a problem and she laughed and said every woman that she was operating on that day told her the same thing. She said it isn't a problem (I had seen an nhs thing saying it would be and this was private so don't know if it makes a difference).

I was incredibly nauseated after but was given Ondansetron a few times which helped. I took the last one as I was walking out the hospital door and vomited the second I walked in my house.

Not saying that to worry you - I'm also an emetephobe but when it happens there is nothing you can do about it and you just deal with it.

I also get motion sickness in case that's relevant- a poster above mentioned about it being linked.

sorry, originally started answering what I think was your other thread but lost it and ended up here ๐Ÿ˜‚

good luck with your surgery, Iโ€™m certain it will be fine!

hippopotato · 19/10/2022 00:40

@pennyhi

Oh nooo!
I am really reconsidering the surgery due to the emetophobia :(
I felt slightly more at ease for a few days after my first thread but it's been quite short lived and im back to worrying!

X

OP posts:
pennyhi · 19/10/2022 00:51

Aw no I feel terrible for saying that! Do you get motion sickness? I have also had hyperemisis in all of my pregnancies so think I'm prone to nausea. If you don't normally get nausea easily I'm sure you'll be fine.

Like everyone else said, the Ondansetron is great, the one I got was a film tab that melts on your tongue and really works so fast.

They can also give you a shot of it if you don't want to take it orally.

Either way, the surgery was definitely worth it and I would do it again despite the sickness, and I really mean it when I say I have a life long genuine phobia of sickness, which has lead to various health anxieties, food fears, and made me miss out on a lot of opportunities in life.

Meant to say, don't think being on my period made it any more painful, it's my second lap, first on my period and the recovery for this one has been much better than the first x

hippopotato · 19/10/2022 01:07

@pennyhi

No no please don't feel terrible - it isn't you!! It's my phobia ridden brain!

No I don't get motion sickness. I feel a bit queasy if I were to look down in the car eg reading a book but not other than that.

Yeah my phobia is the same, it's ruined so many aspects of my life and I'm trying so so hard to get over it!

I'm pleased your surgery has gone well for you though!! I'm praying I will be able to get pregnant naturally shortly after mine so I really don't want to cancel it but it's so ridiculous that I'm STILL panicking about being sick!!

Xx

OP posts:
EmmaGrundyForPM · 19/10/2022 01:14

If you've got time, start taking Norethisterone which will delay your period. I think you have to start taking it a few days before your period's due. I use it if I'm due to have a period on holiday etc.

covilha · 19/10/2022 01:18

Recent endoscopy and literally prone to vomiting over ANYTHING and beyond sick if in any vehicle I donโ€™t drive myself for longer than 5 minutes.
so, explained the above to anaethetist and that I had previously been VERY sick under GA ( my GP had told me to do this as apparently precautionary meds can be given) and I can assure you I had NO sickness, not even nausea.
All the best OP and very much hoping all goes well and you will be updating us next year about an easy pregnancy resulting in a healthy baby xxx

hippopotato · 19/10/2022 11:33

@covilha

Thank you so so much for the reassurance.

I really hope that will be my update too ๐Ÿ˜ญ๐Ÿค๐Ÿค๐Ÿค

OP posts:
covilha · 20/10/2022 01:51

Me too ๐Ÿ’

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.