Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To retrain at 40

30 replies

whatworksforme · 17/10/2022 13:33

I despise my job and I need a way out, but at 40, I don't know where to begin, or what with.

Im lucky in that my only DC is now 18 and about to start earning themselves, so don't have major expenses in that respect.

I have an HNC in admin. The job I'm in now isn't admin related and it's not a a job/profession that I want to continue in in any form. But I don't know what I would want to do, or be good at.

So, has anyone retrained at 40? What did you retrain in? How hard was it?

I have no savings as just moved house this year.

I'm just looking for inspiration, and stories, good and bad, from anyone who has started again at this age.

OP posts:
HotSauceCommittee · 17/10/2022 19:11

I joined the police as a civilian officer when I was 42. They have lots of jobs which would suit you skill set, they will train you and help you to progress. I certainly have, 8 years on.
They are a great employer. You won't be on mega bucks though, but the pay is decent.
Good luck; you are young yet.

WinterStar1 · 17/10/2022 19:14

I worked in admin with the same company for 23 years and left aged 41 with a nice redundancy package. Started in the NHS 8 years ago and looking back I wish I had done my nurse training. I'm turning 50 at the end of this year and feel too old now. So will most likely stick in my current HCA role. I would say if you want to do something different then go for it. I have never regretted leaving my admin career. Good luck in your decision.

weegiemum · 17/10/2022 20:08

Go for it!

I'm 51 and just started a PG Diploma in counselling and psychotherapy, after a career in teaching and time out of the job market due to disability. I'm loving studying again and excited about starting a new career at 53!

Canthinkofaname79 · 17/10/2022 20:25

weegiemum · 17/10/2022 20:08

Go for it!

I'm 51 and just started a PG Diploma in counselling and psychotherapy, after a career in teaching and time out of the job market due to disability. I'm loving studying again and excited about starting a new career at 53!

I would love to do something like this, I've got loads of relevant experience and love working directly with families.

EcoCustard · 17/10/2022 20:39

I am 41 & halfway through an environmental science & geography based Open degree with the OU. Thinking of teaching when I graduate in 2024. Spent 20 years at a big postal firm in varying roles then went on maternity and a sahm. Go for it!

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.