My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

AIBU to think staff shouldn’t be searched after work?

121 replies

Postbox123 · 11/10/2022 07:16

My 16 year old son has got himself a little part time job at a discount clothes store, beginning with M. Pay is dreadful (£4 odd an hour,) job is mind numbing, but he’s sticking at to gain experience. I’m sat waiting to collect him at 9pm last night and I wondered what the delay was for 5 mins by the door.
I witnessed the manager searching all the bags of the staff leaving. My son didn’t have a bag, but still had to wait to be let out afterwards. He said this is standard practice each shift.
I am already disgusted by the pay, finding out he wasn’t paid for his induction and chasing 8 hours pay he’s not received, to now witness this! Utterly appalled that they would treat their staff this way.
I am trying To convince him to resign but he wants to find another part time job first.

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

302 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
71%
You are NOT being unreasonable
29%
Oysterbabe · 11/10/2022 07:18

This is standard. The same happened to me when I worked at House of Fraser when I was 18. I forget the stat, but most thefts from store are by staff.

TeachesOfPeaches · 11/10/2022 07:19

Happens is every retail job

WeAreTheHeroes · 11/10/2022 07:20

Absolutely as the first reply has stated - most retail theft is carried out by staff and it will be in the ts and cs of employment that bags and lockers can be searched.

PanPacificBallroomChampion · 11/10/2022 07:21

Standard practice, I had to do it in the late 1980s in Dorothy Perkins and my DD had a job in Next recently and they do it too.

FindingMeno · 11/10/2022 07:21

It doesn't sound particularly unusual.
Focus on feeling proud of him wanting to work to get experience and sticking it out till he gets something better.

Soubriquet · 11/10/2022 07:22

Standard for some places. I used to work in savers and we had to show our stuff before leaving.

Anything we purchased there had to have the bar code scribbled out and the receipt stuck to the product itself

UnicornMumcraft · 11/10/2022 07:22

This is pretty standard in retail. You have a point about the poor pay etc but the bag searching isn’t really a big deal.

MRSE20 · 11/10/2022 07:22

This can be quite common in retail jobs. I can see why you find it a bit bazaar but it is most likely because it is easier for employees in retail to steal stock and it’s probably happened before which is why they are searching

I think that if your son has nothing to hide then it isn’t going to be an issue

RandomCatGenerator · 11/10/2022 07:23

£4.81 per hour minimum wage for 16-17 year olds. Super shit :(

I definitely valued the experience of working somewhere shitty and mind numbing and minimum wage when I was 16 - but only for a few months before I stopped and instead did a mix of volunteering and more extracurricular stuff. If you don’t need the money, life is too short and he’s better off doing something not mind numbing.

Postbox123 · 11/10/2022 07:23

Thanks for all the replies. I had no idea this was usual. I am just really shocked having always worked in an environment where staff are trusted.

OP posts:
TimeForMeToF1y · 11/10/2022 07:23

No, thats totally understandable. Do you thin they should ignore the possibility of theft by staff?

The minimum wage isn't set by the store, most retail jobs pay that

They should obviously pay correctly, that's a valid gripe

RandomCatGenerator · 11/10/2022 07:24

Oh - and not surprised by the searching. As others have said, standard in retail - and indeed happens in some hospitality jobs too.

KatherineJaneway · 11/10/2022 07:25

This is standard practice in retail. You need to save your indignation for something worthy of it.

Rover83 · 11/10/2022 07:26

I got my first job in Clarks at 15 in the late 90's and we were searched. The majority of thefts from the store were by staff. One of my colleagues used to try to steal shoes or hand bags every shift

Gotskeaswr · 11/10/2022 07:28

Standard. At my first job we were told about it but it happened rarely

pinkstripeycat · 11/10/2022 07:29

All staff were search after every shift when i worked at a catalogue company. Clothes, pockets and bags

RewildingAmbridge · 11/10/2022 07:29

A boy at sixth form was probably single handedly behind the downfall of index, he used to steal to order during his part time job and everything was half price. Used to wander round the common room with the catalogue.

Givenuptotally · 11/10/2022 07:30

£4.81 per hour minimum wage for 16-17 year olds

it might depend where you are OP, but things have shifted in the last couple of years. Many of the bigger retailers/fast food places are paying all their staff at a higher rate just to attract and keep the younger ones. It is most definitely worth him looking around.

OnTheRunWithMannyMontana · 11/10/2022 07:30

Standard for retail unfortunately. One of the many reasons I would never go back, I found it really dehumanising!

EmeraldShamrock1 · 11/10/2022 07:31

It is normal.

DP has been with the same company 20 years, he is subjected to a random search very very occasionally, new staff are checked more often.

Tbf ex staff members have stolen 1000's of high end electrical appliances from the company over the years leading to criminal prosecutions in some cases.

Skiphopbump · 11/10/2022 07:33

I remember a friend worked for a womens clothes shop in the 90s, they were searched after every shift but one of her colleagues would put bras and knickers on and stole quite a few!

TinaYouFatLard · 11/10/2022 07:33

Happened at Miss Selfridge in the late 90s! That was £2.08 an hour at the time.

FamilyTreeBuilder · 11/10/2022 07:37

Very standard, happened when I worked at Debenhams in the 80s.

sheepdogdelight · 11/10/2022 07:38

Givenuptotally · 11/10/2022 07:30

£4.81 per hour minimum wage for 16-17 year olds

it might depend where you are OP, but things have shifted in the last couple of years. Many of the bigger retailers/fast food places are paying all their staff at a higher rate just to attract and keep the younger ones. It is most definitely worth him looking around.

I was going to post this - 16 year olds round here can easily get £10 (or more - there is a bit of a wages war started up with retailers trying to outdo each other) an hour. So it may be worth your DS checking out what others pay (or you may not be in a shortage area of course).

Postbox123 · 11/10/2022 07:38

As I’ve said, my son doesn’t take a bag, but it was the adult staff members who I presume have been there some time being searched that shocked me.
Thanks for the info, at least I know it’s standard not some sort of humiliation by their store manager to the staff .

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.