My feed

to access all these features


Police Complaint

8 replies

ScabbersChin · 10/10/2022 21:44

I was jn an abusive marriage for years.
complained to the police multiple times. Nothing ever upheld. Always excuses. Earlier this year there was another incident with STBXH where the CPS wanted to charge him. But the police missed the 6 month deadline.

ive complained to IOPC but a sergeant from the force I’m complaint about is dealing with it.

i have no faith in them whatsoever. All I want is for this man to be charged to learn a lesson, for closure and so that it’s in his record.

what are my options now? Womens Aid we’re speechless when I called them. They’re calling me back.

what is a super complaint? Who can make them?

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

16 votes. Final results.

You are being unreasonable
You are NOT being unreasonable
stillvicarinatutu · 10/10/2022 21:47

For a case to go statute barred it had to be deemed a common assault- there is no time limit on abh or above .
Did the cps deem it a s39 common assault?
Did it go to CPs ?

ScabbersChin · 10/10/2022 22:45

This part is harassment. So they saying 6 months. One might argue it’s 2 years under then new domestic abuse bill. But doubt it’s strong enough.

The CPS did want to charge yes.

OP posts:
Audioslaw · 10/10/2022 22:48

Hi OP sounds frustrating. What do you mean the police missed the deadline? The police send it to the CPS straight away, sadly it's them who often take more than 6 months to come back with a decision meaning that offences time out. If the CPS wanted to charge, they would do usually.

Have you had it explained in writing if so can you tell us what the police officer put?

NorthernChinchilla · 10/10/2022 22:51

Unfortunately OP, even if you make a complaint to the IOPC, they are required under the legislation governing police complaints to pass the matter back to the Force (with some exceptions for incidents involving death/serious injury).

You'll need to continue with the complaint (has it been formally recorded 'inside Sch.3'?) then you'll have a right of review to your local PCC or IOPC.

Super complaints are for widespread, systemic issue and can only be made by a specific number of named organisations.

Sorry to hear they screwed up with your case.

ScabbersChin · 10/10/2022 22:55

the CPS wrote to the police in plenty of time. It took the police months to send it due to internal errors. Then the police missed the deadline. They’ve admitted to their mistake and apologised but it’s not good enough given what not only I’ve been through but my children and his poor ex wife

I will have this put as a super complaint by someone. Our local force has let so many women and children down.

OP posts:
stillvicarinatutu · 10/10/2022 23:04

What we're the mistakes ? Sorry this happened to you sounds v frustrating.

Audioslaw · 10/10/2022 23:08

Sorry to hear this. It is a major frustration with summary offences (6 month window) as often after the first time it is sent to the CPS they then take over a month to come back to police asking for a whole load of other things to be done, which then gets sent and it then takes them a further more than a month to look at it and reply. It used to be that charging decisions would happen within 28 days. Not now, it can take MONTHS for case files to be looked at by them.

Presumably now the case has been NFA you are no longer protected by bail conditions on the perpetrator to stop him from contacting you. Depending on the nature of the harassment it may be possible for the police to apply for a stalking protection order for you (SPO) you don't need a criminal charge to get one.

In the mean time (and it should not be your job to have to do the admin, I know) did Women's aid tell you about non molestation orders? It is free to apply for one on the gov website and if granted this comes with a power of arrest if it is breached.

Audioslaw · 10/10/2022 23:12
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.