POLL
You are being unreasonable
30%
You are NOT being unreasonable
70%
AllPlayedOut · 09/10/2022 12:18

You again?

YellowTreeHouse · 09/10/2022 12:18

Yes, it’s still quite rare. Most almost 30 year olds have their own lives and careers and families.

BeyondMyWits · 09/10/2022 12:24

Would not have thought commonplace, but getting more common than it was.

Depends on the reasons I guess. My girls have both moved out at the student phase (22 and 21). The fact that we could only afford a 2 bed house and they had to share had something to do with that. Either or both would be welcome to move back in anytime, they know that, and come and go in between leases, but they want their own space. Don't blame them.

If they have a comfortable space to live and save for a house of their own, of course they will stay longer.

AbleCable · 09/10/2022 12:31

No, I don't think so. Most people that age who are able to have their own space, have that.
Though I'm sure for some, they may not have a choice (dependant parent who needs support for example, or low wages and trying to save).

hellosunshineagainxxx · 09/10/2022 12:33

I'm early 30s and all my friends have their own places etc now but at 25-27 a lot still lived at home if they were single. Can't afford to buy/rent as a single person

LikeAStar1994 · 09/10/2022 12:34

I still do. Not exactly proud of it but nothing has gone smoothly for me so...

Hearthnhome · 09/10/2022 12:35

Non of my friends adult kids live at home after about 25.

Some came back from Uni and stayed for a bit to save then moved out. The ones who didn’t go to uni, moved out earlier as they were working from 18 so had already saved.

I wouldn’t say it’s rare, but I wouldn’t say it’s the norm either.

What’s going on that you keep asking questions surrounding this?

TeddyisMydog · 09/10/2022 12:37

Quite rare imo, I'm 28 and haven't lived at home in 10 years

YumYummy · 09/10/2022 12:41

It’s borderline. I used to think 24 was a good age to have moved out by but I’ve upped it to 27 and definitely by 28.

mountaindewview · 09/10/2022 12:43

Why? It depends.

Rewis · 09/10/2022 12:51

Outside of mumsnet I know very few people that lived with their parents after the age of 23. I also don't know anyone whose childs gf/bf has moved in with them.

Not saying there is nothing wrong with it. But I'm not convinced it is as common as it seems on here.

BigSandyBalls2015 · 09/10/2022 12:55

Prob depends where you live. In the SE it’s very difficult to get on the property ladder so quite a few late 20s are still at home around here.

One of mine moved away for uni at 18 and hasn’t come back .. she’s renting in her uni town. The other, not sure how she could afford to move out really.

MolkosTeenageAngst · 09/10/2022 12:55

I don’t know anybody in their late 20s still living at home. I think it’s very common to be living with parents at 22/23, especially for those who didn’t go to uni, but I think by 27 most young people capable of living independently (eg: without a disability or health condition which stops them from working and/ or taking care of themselves) have moved out from living with their parents. Obviously there are still some who live at home for various reasons, but I don’t think it’s common or the norm, certainly not in my circle of friends, colleagues and acquaintances.

RuthW · 09/10/2022 13:00

My dd is coming up to 26. She lives with me. She moved out for four years but came back. She could afford to move out but chooses not to. There is only me and her and it's more like a house share. She's single at the moment and sees no reason to move out at the moment.

midgetastic · 09/10/2022 13:02

47% of men aged 15 to 34 are living with parents according to the first google hit

midgetastic · 09/10/2022 13:05

Aged 25 43% of men and 25% women

According to the second google hit

( search uk how many adults live with parents )

Surely more reliable than asking the few who would respond in MN

Who clearly are not all in touch with what's happening today

LauraAshleyDuvetCover · 09/10/2022 13:20

I will be at some point soon, and I'm older than that. I've finished a PhD and am doing a fixed-term postdoc in my university city, then my next job is near home. There are hundreds of miles in between, and I just can't go to viewings etc there mid-week.

I used a chunk of my savings during covid (post-doc start delayed) so moving back in with my parents lets me build that back up, and then I'll look to buy. My DPs are happy about it, and it means I can see more of my very elderly grandparents too (and help out a bit with them too).

I know quite a few people who've done it, gone back for a year or so if they've moved back to home, and then bought or moved in with a partner.

Is it that unusual? My DM worked from 16 and then bought her house at 27-ish in the 70s. My family tend to think renting is just "dead money", I've only done it because I'm so far away, and DPs have said several times that if they'd known I'd be here so long they'd have helped me buy when I first moved up.

Cornishmaiden · 09/10/2022 13:35

Daughter has just turned 26 and moved back home in March. She and her boyfriend have saved a £20 000 deposit between them but just can't get on the property ladder. Have offered on 6 houses in the last 2 months but have lost out to higher offers.
In the West Country she is up against second home owners and retirees. So she continues to save and lives at home meanwhile. They thought about renting but that would curtail the saving and the local estate agents told us that they have 20 people/couples for each rental property.
She is fed up and disheartened. Her boyfriends job ties them to this area. I don't know what to suggest to help them.

GordonShakespearedoesChristmas · 09/10/2022 14:16

Why judge?
Everyone is different

MrsSkylerWhite · 09/10/2022 14:17

Ours lived with us for a year to save deposit, which they successfully did. In their own home now 😃

Deadringer · 09/10/2022 14:28

It's not unusual in dublin where rent and house prices are sky high but wages are particularly higher than the rest of the country. My adult dc are all single so have no hope of buying for years, and they don't earn enough to rent.

Deadringer · 09/10/2022 14:29

Sorry wages are not particularly higher

NCFT0922 · 09/10/2022 14:31

I’m early 30s and don’t know a single person 27 or above living with their parents.

Yabado · 09/10/2022 14:32

My son is 28 and is just about buy his first home a 2 bed / 2 bath apartment

But he wouldn’t be buying that if he hadn’t inherited a big amount of money from my late parents which has enabled him to put down a big deposit cover all the fees and money to buy all the main furniture / stuff that he will need

He still had to do shared ownership and buy 60 percent as his wages aren’t that high to buy outright

JamSandle · 09/10/2022 14:33

Not rare to me at all.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.