My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

How do you go NC with parents without all the guilt?

1 reply

missbipolar · 07/10/2022 20:48

So for as long as I can remember my parents have always tried to guilt trip me into things they feel "reflect badly" on them, I wasn't allowed to pick my subjects in school and when I didn't do the best (although did pass and get enough for university entrance) they spent months telling me I was disappointment, when I dropped out of uni because I wasn't happy they told me I would never go anywhere in life, when I got married my mother refused to share any photos saying I looked fat and there's many other examples.

I have a little sister who's alot younger then me so I've always kept contact for her sake. But she's now old enough for us to have our own relationship without them. I want to go NC as I've had enough of how they make me feel, I get so worked up when I have to talk to them. But I feel so guilty when I think of going NC, so how do you go NC and deal with the feelings of guilt?

OP posts:
Badgergirl123 · 07/10/2022 21:18

You do it, then realise you should have done it long before. The distance helps you see them even more for what they are. No regrets.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.