Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To have allowed my ds1 to buy a nerf gun!? Argh

34 replies

cadburyegg · 06/10/2022 17:04

DS1 is 7.5 and saved up his pocket money to buy a nerf gun at the weekend. He was very excited, although it probably wasn't something I would have bought him, I didn't think anything of it at the time. We have talked about rules playing with it etc. one of my friends has said it was a bad idea to let him have it because it teaches young children about violence. Argh! It didn't occur to me that it would be harmful - it's part of a game after all and they often do water gun fights at beavers etc. although like I said it wouldn't have been my choice.

So was I BU? Any tips...

OP posts:
mnahmnah · 06/10/2022 18:14

We bought a target that lights up and makes sounds. You have to hit the paddles and they fall down. Stops my boys shooting each other

imsanehonest · 06/10/2022 18:15

We used to have nerf guns when mine were little. Had great family nerf wars. But definitely have a 'no head shots' rule - those foam bullets can really hurt. And don't be fooled by the size of the guns - some of the smallest ones are more powerful than the larger ones!

imsanehonest · 06/10/2022 18:16

And surprise surprise my DC haven't turned into gun toting teenagers

SomeSquirrelsAreBlack · 06/10/2022 18:17

And surprise surprise my DC haven't turned into gun toting teenagers

Same argument used in the USA by NRA activists

Changes17 · 06/10/2022 18:23

It’s fine. We still have a small armoury upstairs though they’ve mostly lost interest now, aged 15 and 11. Got them off their screens!

EilonwyWithRedGoldHair · 06/10/2022 18:24

DS is obsessed with NERF guns.

Had his first one at 5, a Jolt. That was on the condition that he was never to shoot it at people or animals, and if he did it would be taken away and there would be no more NERF anything.

He was very good with it. He's 9 now and and has quite the collection mainly from trawling charity shops. We have NERF battles in the garden, or play games shooting targets. The rule is now that you can't shoot anyone who hasn't agreed to be part of the game. Mostly he shoots them down the garden to compare distances with different types of darts, and he sometimes likes to open them up to see how they work, replace damaged springs/other fixes, and has done a couple of minor mods. Main downside is he can take about them for hours, and the pros and cons of different dart types, but he's probably ASD.

OhmygodDont · 06/10/2022 18:38

This reply has been deleted

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Of course not that’s for the 14 year olds. Rocket launcher for 18th smh.

Skala123 · 06/10/2022 21:01

SomeSquirrelsAreBlack · 06/10/2022 18:10

Slippery slope. Look at what happened in Thailand today and all the school shootings.

Totally out of line here. Awful awful tragedy has just occurred and you want to make it relevant to a discussion about a 7 year old buy a nerf gun?

Prouddad76 · 25/05/2023 13:33

This reply has been deleted

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.