Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Car insurance

21 replies

DeirdreRashid · 05/10/2022 07:14

I was involved in a collision the other day coming out of my drive. Couldn’t see past a parked van and crashed into a woman coming down the road. Completely my fault, hold my hands up there. I wasn’t going fast, obviously just pulling out of drive speed, she was going maybe 25 she reckons. Neither of us hurt at all. Her car damaged on the side of the bumper. My bumper sort of shoved out of place to the side and cracked very slightly. Both cars drivable. We exchanged details and she went home to inform her insurance. I have let mine know too. But now I’m debating if I should have? My car is in perfect condition, hardly a mark on it, only 26k on the clock (genuine, one very elderly gentleman owner before me and I don’t do a lot of driving, it’s the second car of our house), but it is 20 years old. The insurance company are just going to write it off aren’t they?! Wibu to cancel my claim and find a mechanic/bodywork repairer to fix the work that needs doing? I obviously don’t want it to affect the other driver as completely not their fault. Please help me as although I haven’t used the car much in the past, I’ve just started a nursing degree and it’s going to be difficult to make uni/placement without it and could absolutely do without the cost of replacing it!

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

19 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
79%
You are NOT being unreasonable
21%
Beneficialchampion2 · 05/10/2022 07:27

I would cancel the claim. Let her claim on your insurance for the damage to her car. You will lose 2 years no claims and your premiums will rise. There's nothing to stop you paying for the repairs to her car depending on the cost and exclude the insurance companies all together.

Lunar270 · 05/10/2022 07:37

Sorry to hear. They may write it off but is likely to be repairable so best wait for the assessment.

However, if they do write it off, you can buy the car back and keep using it with no issues. There may be a difference between the amount they pay out and what you need to buy the car back but will have to see. Most people aren't aware you can do this but is good to know

Also don't admit liability just yet. Obviously I don't know the full details but do you have any CCTV or dash cam footage? A car blocking your way is a problem but you have to edge out slowly in order to get a view of the road. There's not much else you can do. The onus is therefore for the oncoming driver to observe and anticipate cars pulling out. However this depends on whether you pulled out just as the 3rd party was passing.

Either way I hope you manage to get this sorted out ok.

DeirdreRashid · 05/10/2022 07:37

To be honest, the first thing she asked me when we got out of the cars was whether I was insured. So I knew straight away she wouldn’t go down the route of sorting it ourselves. Which is obviously fine, it’s why we have insurance. Just not sure if it’s best for me to claim? Or even if I can not claim if she is, if that makes sense! I’ve never has an accident before so not sure how it all works!!

OP posts:
KangarooKenny · 05/10/2022 07:37

Yes, you do need to tell them.

Lunar270 · 05/10/2022 07:42

Sorry, there's a few ways you can do this. You obviously have to tell your insurer but you don't have to claim for your car or her car. You are perfectly able and legally ok to pay her repairs yourself. The accident will still be recorded but will go down as you sorting it out personally.

However I'd only do this if you're absolutely sure it's your fault.

SavoirFlair · 05/10/2022 07:46

YANBU and this is a great post - you did the right thing but @Lunar270 ’s post is brilliant and spot on

DeirdreRashid · 05/10/2022 07:54

Thank you Lunar270, that’s all very helpful. Especially about buying it back, I didn’t know that. Unfortunately no CCTV or dashcam, I have a ring doorbell but it only covers my drive and garden, not the road.

OP posts:
mountainsunsets · 05/10/2022 07:58

You don't need to claim for damage to your own car if you don't want to.

I had a bump parking the other day - when I reported online, one of the questions was something like "Is your car damaged/ do you want to claim for damage to your vehicle?".

I just said no.

MilkToastHoney · 05/10/2022 08:01

Your insurance should offer ‘cash in lieu’ of repairs if they deem it a write off. This would mean they give you a cash settlement for you to sort the repairs yourself but it may mean you have to put some towards it to make up the difference.
They wont necessarily write it off.

Sorry, there's a few ways you can do this. You obviously have to tell your insurer but you don't have to claim for your car or her car. You are perfectly able and legally ok to pay her repairs yourself. The accident will still be recorded but will go down as you sorting it out personally.

This depends on the other party agreeing to OP paying for repairs. Often people don’t as they lose the repair guarantee they get through insurance, no hire car and have to rely that other person definitely pays and they aren’t left with a garage bill if other party changes their mind.
The other issue is you still have a ‘fault accident’ which you have to declare when renewing insurance. It wouldn’t usually make financial sense to declare the fault accident plus paying for 2 x repairs. You’d usually be better off just paying your excess and letting insurance cover cost of repairs.

However I'd only do this if you're absolutely sure it's your fault.

From the circumstances given, op is definitely at fault unfortunately.

DeirdreRashid · 05/10/2022 08:03

Yeah I’m at fault, and I wouldn’t want to stress the other woman out anymore by suggesting doing it privately. I’m willing to take the repercussions when it comes to insurance premiums going up. Just want to keep my car at the end of it!!

OP posts:
mountainsunsets · 05/10/2022 08:08

Your insurance will still pay out for damage to her car even if you don't claim for damage to yours, though.

Just tell the company you don't want to claim for your car.

FranklySonImTheGaffer · 05/10/2022 08:20

Agree you're definitely at fault so I wouldn't waste time arguing about liability. The other driver has every right to drive along the road and as you were joining it, it was your responsibility to ensure the road was clear before you pulled out.

As you've told your insurance, chances are her insurer will deal with the damage to her car then send their outlay (bill) to your insurers who will check it is reasonable against the info you provided, then pay it.

Your no claims will be effected because of her claim on your policy.

For your car, at 20 years old it will likely be considered a write off because your insurers will need to repair with new, manufacturer parts and they are expensive while the value of your car in comparison will be low (unless it's some sort of classic).

If you don't want it written off, call your insurer now and tell them you don't wish to claim for your damage. You can always change your mind later if you get a repair quote and it's too high but if your insurer has their garage or assessor look at your car and put a write off category on it, your insurer is obligated to add it to a database that will add a write off marker to your car and it will not be removed.

If you go ahead and claim for your damage and the car is a write off, it will likely be a category N (non structural damage) and there is nothing to say you can't keep the car. Your insurer would value the car then deduct certain costs but given the likely low value, it's probably not worth it (for example, they'll deduct your excess, the amount they'd get from the salvage company and any outstanding premium then give your whatever is left over).

I've been in your position (18yo car) and chose not to claim. Got a second hand bumper from a scrap yard (I needed front bumper and the other car has been hit hard at the back, writing it off). Mechanic fixed it for less than £200. 4 years later the car is still going fine.

DeirdreRashid · 05/10/2022 08:20

mountainsunsets · 05/10/2022 08:08

Your insurance will still pay out for damage to her car even if you don't claim for damage to yours, though.

Just tell the company you don't want to claim for your car.

This is the crux of what I wanted to know!! Thank you

OP posts:
MilkToastHoney · 05/10/2022 08:26

You’ll still be able to claim for money your car. As pp says, let your insurance company know you can’t to keep car. You’ll get cash in lieu settlement and then can find a garage to fix cheaply/second hand parts.

You’ll still be paying your excess and will have a claim on your policy so no point paying for all your repairs yourself.

Badbadbunny · 05/10/2022 08:50

If they write it off, they have to give you "market value" less your excess. Used car prices are still unusually high so you will probably get far more than the repair cost and maybe the "profit" will cover your excess. They also deduct scrap value from the settlement. Even better if you choose not to repair it if the damage is minor and it will pass the MOT which is needed after a write off.

You'll some some/all your no claims discount by the other party claiming against you anyway so making your own claim won't make future insurance premiums any higher than they already will be.

An idiot neighbour ran into my 13 year old car (when parked) writing it off. Damage cost £1500 to repair but the insurance company gave me £2,500 less £300 scrap value, i.e. £2,200, so I ended up £700 in profit! I just had to haggle with the insurers and point out it was ultra low mileage, full service history, immaculate condition etc to talk them up from £2,200 (their original offer) to £2,500. I think I could have talked them up further as I had screenshots of local garages selling almost identical cars for up to £3,000, but was happy enough with £2,000.

Insurance cos will basically write off any old car with the slightest of damage as they use the "approved" garages which typically charge twice what a "local" unapproved body shop would charge as they price in a hire/courtesy car too! For my car, the approved bodyshop quoted £2,750 whereas like I say, I paid £1,500 to a small one man band bodyshop on the local industrial estate who did a cracking job of it. In my case, the iinsurance company wrote it off just from a verbal description of the damage by phone, they didn't inspect it nor ask for photos of the damage!

DeirdreRashid · 05/10/2022 09:15

This is all really helpful, thanks all! Puts my mind at ease a bit. I promise I’m not a complete thicko, just not au fait with all the ins and outs of insurance stuff, I just pay it and crack on 😂👍🏼

OP posts:
Pineapplemonkey · 05/10/2022 16:06

I hit a car a few years ago (involved a driveway as well coincidentally!) but the damaged to my car was negligible. As I wasn't claiming for my own repairs (just the other persons), there was no excess to pay.

I don't think many people are aware the excess is only payable if your own car is being claimed on

Hope this helps

Shade17 · 05/10/2022 16:35

You’ll still be paying your excess and will have a claim on your policy so no point paying for all your repairs yourself.

She WON’T be paying an excess if she’s paying for her own repairs.

RedHelenB · 05/10/2022 16:38

I got a payout ( not my fault) car was written off but they let me keep it. Took it to the catalysts but I could have had it repaired if I'd wanted to.

notdaddycool · 05/10/2022 16:44

As long as there’s nothing sharp on the bumper you don’t need to replace it. If you want to repair it yourself get a ton of plastic padding, fill it, and it and get some touch up paint from Halfords, or you can go to a garage and pay yourself, or do it on insurance.

notdaddycool · 05/10/2022 16:45

Also lots of YouTube videos to follow

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.