Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

female changing rooms in health club

15 replies

Floweranti · 04/10/2022 23:12

AIBU for asking a parent to stop her two boys from wiggling their naked self in front of me and my almost two year old granddaughter.
I politely said excuse me and gave eye signal to what one of her son was doing and she went very argumentative stating that her son is only six years old and all along her son is saying mum I am seven years old!
My granddaughter was in her pram facing towards me drinking her milk after her swim and the rest of the changing room was empty where her boys could dance and show their bits off but he was literally right next to me and our pram. its almost like he was trying to get my attention.I had to cover the hood of pram saying this is inappropriate and exaggerated we shall go in the private cubicle shall we which was right behind her!
she thought I was serious and demanded I go in there.
I continued drying my hair and ignoring her continuing comments as to how her son is only 6 then she said if you had a grandson then what would you do. I didn't want to embarrass her any further in front of her children so I stayed quiet.
I really wish I had spoken up and said if I bought my grandson to a female cubicle I would have taught him to be respectful of the female ladies.
I am not that strict and will let my granddaughter mingle with who she wants but I feel rather upset and angry about todays incident.

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

85 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
38%
You are NOT being unreasonable
62%
Pettyargument · 04/10/2022 23:18

I think it's fine at that age for a small boy to be in the female changing rooms, but it's not appropriate for them to be wiggling their bits around. She should definitely have told him to stop - she's missed an important teaching moment not doing that tbh

Getofftheladder · 04/10/2022 23:23

7 is too young to go in the me s by themselves. YABU.

Notimeforaname · 04/10/2022 23:26

It's just a little boy messing around he doesn't understand his penis is offensive to some people. Yes his mum should have told him to stop but she should have done that even if he were clothed as kids do need to learn not to invade peoples personal space/bother them in public, naked or not.

stayathomer · 04/10/2022 23:27

Nothing about them being boys and everything about her parenting. I hate the ‘what would you do?’ question- she should have told them to move away and stop annoying people!!!

Meatshake · 04/10/2022 23:29

I'd have stopped my 3 year old doing that, let alone a 6 year old! What on earth was she thinking!

BrrrGettingColder · 04/10/2022 23:51

If it happens again, OP, tell the little git to Go Away in a strong firm voice (practice in front of a mirror beforehand, perhaps, if you need!) and growl it as you say it, and bare your teeth too.

Don't be embarrassed to do so. You are protecting your daughter. You are her principal protector at the moment, and for a while to come. Get used to it! I wish you all the best!

BrrrGettingColder · 04/10/2022 23:52

Sorry, your granddaughter, not your daughter; but the principle remains.

Mariposista · 04/10/2022 23:56

Ridiculous, attention seeking behaviour. The mother should have told the boy to stop doing that straightaway. I know boys think their penises are like badges of honour, but they need to know from a young age that they cannot wave them about in front of people who frankly don't want to see them. He is 'only six?'. Perfect age to be taught this. I bet he doesn't get it out and wave it about at school.

jollyroll · 05/10/2022 01:21

Mariposista · 04/10/2022 23:56

Ridiculous, attention seeking behaviour. The mother should have told the boy to stop doing that straightaway. I know boys think their penises are like badges of honour, but they need to know from a young age that they cannot wave them about in front of people who frankly don't want to see them. He is 'only six?'. Perfect age to be taught this. I bet he doesn't get it out and wave it about at school.

This.

Floweranti · 06/10/2022 22:50

no there is private cubicles in the changing room and the rest of the changinging room was empty ! I don't expect the boys to male changing room by themselves but just to be mindful and respect other users.

OP posts:
Floweranti · 06/10/2022 22:58

the boy was saying I am seven years old he was like almost as tall as my shoulder i would have thought he was almost eight.

OP posts:
j712adrian · 06/10/2022 22:59

perverts in training

MrsTerryPratchett · 06/10/2022 23:00

It's just a little boy messing around he doesn't understand his penis is offensive to some people.

If he doesn't know his penis is private at 7, someone didn't parent. He's been at school for years!

PimmsOfCourse · 06/10/2022 23:06

That would annoy me too. Would say something to the boy, the mum and to the management too.
She needs to put some serious boundaries in does that mum.

DahliasLove · 06/10/2022 23:13

yeah that’s fine… in the privacy of their own home, but at age 7 their mum should absolutely be talking to them about boundaries and appropriate behaviour around others. If she doesn’t think 7 is old enough for that then when? 8? 9? Never?

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.