Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Anyone else longing for a new political party?

181 replies

HelloMrBond · 04/10/2022 12:33

I’m early 40s, have voted conservative all my adult life but the latest offering of conservative MPs makes me wonder if they could ever form an effective government. They have lost their way. On the other hand, they have been allowed to loose their way by a completely inept opposition, I believe a strong party opposite keeps the party in government on their toes. If there was to be a GE tomorrow, for the first time in my life, I’m not sure how I would vote. The Labour Party do have a handful of good quality MPs with good ideas, but the current shadow cabinet are nothing short of a rabble, the idea that their leader doesn’t know what a woman is and the thought of Angela Raynor being deputy PM sends shivers down my spine. In my view, there is a current huge gaping hole in modern British politics for a centrist party who could potentially cause huge ripples at a future GE snd would stand up for and represent the average hard working, tax paying families and individuals of the country.

OP posts:
Please
or

Am I being unreasonable?

AIBU

You have one vote. All votes are anonymous.

Mercurial123 · 04/10/2022 12:35

Change UK was a failure, does it even exist in 2022?

Please
or

Blocked · 04/10/2022 12:36

Nope. I'm happy with Labour.

Please
or

Qwerkie · 04/10/2022 12:37

Yep I totally agree. There’s nobody to vote for now

Please
or

Bluevelvetsofa · 04/10/2022 12:39

I feel disenfranchised, because there really is no one realistically to vote for. Couldn’t vote Tory and never have done, but any and all opposition parties are not yet in a position to be strong enough to form a government.

Please
or

Trainbear · 04/10/2022 12:47

Count me in too!

Please
or

SavoirFlair · 04/10/2022 12:59

the latest offering of conservative MPs makes me wonder if they could ever form an effective government.

You’re just starting to wonder this now, under this administration? So everything else before then was effective and functioning?

give me strength

they have been allowed to loose (sic) their way by a completely inept opposition, I believe a strong party opposite keeps the party in government on their toes

Sorry but this is just stuff people say when they want to explain why they can’t vote Labour but don’t want to explain the real reason.

What is “inept” exactly about Starmer and the Labour Party? They are many things, a bit insipid at times, but I wouldn’t say inept.

You really think a stronger Starmer and Labour would have stopped Truss and Kwarteng from acting?

THEIR OWN CABINET didn’t know about the 45% tax rate cut?? It’s not as if anyone is holding them back, because no one is consulted.

i’m sorry @HelloMrBond but I just can’t get with your post.

I wish Tory voters would just be more honest and say “anything that isn’t Conservative feels a bit unaspirational to vote for - as in, I wouldn’t ever subject my family to a weekly shop from Nisa Stores” etc.

Please
or

ArseInTheCoOpWindow · 04/10/2022 13:02

Do you know what? I’m sick of people slagging off Angela Raynor.

Shes someone to be admired. Pregnant as a teen, worked in a care home and now on the front bench of a major political party. Pulled herself up to a high position from difficult background.

Isnt thus what Tories admire?🤷🏼‍♀️

Please
or

Badbadbunny · 04/10/2022 13:04

Shes someone to be admired. Pregnant as a teen, worked in a care home and now on the front bench of a major political party. Pulled herself up to a high position from difficult background.

People said the same about John Prescott and he was useless too!

Just because you've had a "poor" background and made good doesn't make you a competent MP or Govt minister.

Please
or

HelloMrBond · 04/10/2022 13:04

SavoirFlair,

Inevitably, not everyone will share my views, this is a good thing though. We need people like you to back the party you may think best and others can do likewise. Any interest in politics, whatever leaning you have, is good, it will (hopefully) keep the wheels going around.

OP posts:
Please
or

SavoirFlair · 04/10/2022 13:06

I agree @ArseInTheCoOpWindow Rayner should be admired. However there’s three reasons I think people dislike her

• She’s a woman who speaks her mind
• She’s proudly Northern and therefore not “aspirational” to some
• She’s plain speaking and hasn’t come through corporate leadership or private school , and this country is still obsessed with the class system - as a result she’s seen as automatically “lesser” or unpolished

and I guess the biggest reason is that she reminds people that Labour serves the many. She’s not “aspirational” in how she’s trying to sell dreams or visions of multiple home owning or everyone’s child going to university.

That’s why I think she’s verbally kicked about a lot - so many British people are snobs and pre-judge her before she even opens her mouth

Please
or

HelloMrBond · 04/10/2022 13:08

A teenage pregnancy and coming from humble origins are by no means qualifications to hold high office. Similarly so in the Conservative party, many of their MPs are ex Eton, ex worked in the city for 5 years, then go into politics, equally as bad as AR, no life experience.
I honestly believe that to stand as an MP, one should be 50 years old minimum with a proven track record in life.

OP posts:
Please
or

GiveMyHeadPeaceffs · 04/10/2022 13:11

Well in NI Tories and Labour don't even feature, I'd love a decent party to vote for that wasn't drawn up over sectarian lines. Alliance looked so promising but apparently don't know what a woman is...

Please
or

onanotherday · 04/10/2022 13:13

Absolutely..I just don't get why so many people are threatened by an articulate working class woman.

I for one am looking forward to a Labour government 😀

Please
or

BigWoollyJumpers · 04/10/2022 13:14

Was saying this to DH yesterday. If the centre right of the Labour party, and the centre left of the Conservatives broke away and formed new parties, we would have so much more choice.

Labour keep talking about PR but that wont' work unless we have more choice, like in Europe. DH did point out how difficult it is in the EU to form governments, and this is true, but I am not sure it is any more unstable that what we have here.

Please
or

BigWoollyJumpers · 04/10/2022 13:17

I honestly believe that to stand as an MP, one should be 50 years old minimum with a proven track record in life

I actually disagree with this. Old, stale, male, politicians is what we have had trouble with recently. Looking to other successful states, let's have more young women.

Please
or

Swizandswap · 04/10/2022 13:19

Find me a Party who will support and look after the working/middle class and stop using us as a cash cow for every one and I will vote for them.

Every single discussion is with regards to the highest or lowest paid. The lowest paid suffer and the highest paid avoid paying. The people in the middle are an easy target and end up bearing the brunt of all of it, many of us have crawled tooth and nail to better our self`s from really poor back grounds to be shit on and were sick of it.

Please
or

ArseInTheCoOpWindow · 04/10/2022 13:22

A teenage pregnancy and coming from humble origins are by no means qualifications to hold high office. Similarly so in the Conservative party, many of their MPs are ex Eton, ex worked in the city for 5 years, then go into politics, equally as bad as AR, no life experience

I’d venture to suggest that coming from humble origins with a teen pregnancy would ensure plenty of ‘life experience’. And much more in common with the majority of the U.K.

Please
or

MrsJamieDornan · 04/10/2022 13:22

Could not agree more. Tories like people that better themselves, but only if they do it quietly. Sheer snobbery. They'd rather have Etonions stuff everything up but at least speak nicely.

Please
or

ArseInTheCoOpWindow · 04/10/2022 13:24

Was saying this to DH yesterday. If the centre right of the Labour party, and the centre left of the Conservatives broke away and formed new parties, we would have so much more choice

Isnt that the Lib Dems though?

Please
or

BoxcarMilly · 04/10/2022 13:28

@ArseInTheCoOpWindow "Do you know what? I’m sick of people slagging off Angela Raynor.
Shes someone to be admired. Pregnant as a teen, worked in a care home and now on the front bench of a major political party. Pulled herself up to a high position from difficult background."

She's the one who shouted "Tory Scum" in HoC wasn't she?

She gives credibility to the expression "You can take the girl out of X but can't take X out of the girl"

Err, no.

It's a token appointment - like "Two Jags Prescott" who was the champion of a sink estate in Hull.

Please
or

maddy68 · 04/10/2022 13:29

I'm more happy with labour these days. Really like their policies, their economic plans and their leader.

Please
or

HRTQueen · 04/10/2022 13:34

I would like a centre party that’s credible. Sadly LibDems are lost in political wilderness at the moment

I’m pleased Labour are now centre ground they can now win.

as for Rayner she isn’t like by all who support Labour. I can admire her from what she has come from but the reason she climbed so quickly was firstly she was very much part of Corbyn’s inner circle and then Starmer at first had to have someone in the shadow cabinet to appease the left. They no longer need to she isn’t needed any more. Yes she can give the odd good speech but when under scrutiny from political commentators articulate is not a word that springs to mind

Wouldn’t be surprised if Starmer shuffles the shadow cabinet soon

Please
or

ArseInTheCoOpWindow · 04/10/2022 14:00

Raynor was voted as deputy by Labour Party members. I was one of them. I voted for a middle ground and a more leftish person deliberately.

Im not sure he can change her if she was voted in by members.

Please
or

ArseInTheCoOpWindow · 04/10/2022 14:04

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Please
or

ArseInTheCoOpWindow · 04/10/2022 14:05

And it’s not as bad as partying with a hedge fund after you’ve collapsed the British economy.

Or as partying in no 10 when the rest of the U K was in lockdown.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?