Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Couples with that special chemistry between them

7 replies

90srandb · 03/10/2022 23:27

Do you have it?

Was thinking about it the other day when with my friend and her husband..mid 30’s, still youthful, full of energy and a good looking couple. They’ve been together a long time, since around age 20 I think, but they seem to have a chemistry together, not exactly a sexual one, but something and I don’t see it that often. Generally the couples I see who have been together ages are quite formal/stifled with each other or irritated or the woman seems a bit embarrassed of the guy 🤷🏻‍♀️
Just nice to see, an obvious attraction from him to her and a respect from her to him and still having a laugh

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

18 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
22%
You are NOT being unreasonable
78%
spicysoup · 03/10/2022 23:33

I wouldn't call my husband and I youthful and full of energy. But we definitely still have a spark for each other and find each other attractive. We also make each other laugh and flirt. We've been together over 20 years.

AnneLovesGilbert · 03/10/2022 23:33

I know a couple like this. They’re brilliant to spend time with, both amazing people who I love and they’re not cloying or cringy but they’re clearly besotted with each other. They haven’t been together that long but they’ve dealt with a lot in that time, unplanned high risk pregnancy, a parent died, one already has a child so they’ve dealt with blending, redundancy etc. They make each other smile and laugh and fancy each other like mad, they’ve got a gleam about them.

It’s heartening as we’ve got a couple of other couple friends who obviously loathe each other. Which isn’t nice to be around.

GrumpyInsomniac · 03/10/2022 23:35

Yes. We have it to the point even our teenage son finds it “cute” that his dad’s face lights up if I phone when I’m away on business, or that we can still talk without being bored for hours. Apparently his grandparents met as children and neither ever had another partner, so he tells me his family have form for this! His parents have been married 50+ years as well.

I do see it in other couples, too. A friend’s mum died on the weekend and last time I bumped into her husband a few weeks back he was clearly still as besotted with her after 65 years of marriage as before they went to the altar. And my mum and stepdad likewise before he died in January. So it can happen.

I fully expect DH and I to be together forever. It’s been 24 years since we met, of which we’ve been married 19. We just “get” each other, and I hope that never changes.

Jknow · 04/10/2022 00:55

I think me and my bf are like this. Although we’ve only been together 2.5 years, I know you’re now thinking ha…just you wait, but hear me out.

I’ve had a lot of shit relationships (am 41 now). Only had 2 which made it as far as 3 years, and tbh I found them intensely annoying long before that.

But this relationship is completely different. Can’t explain it but I know really soon after meeting him that he was my person and I couldn’t not have him in my life, even though on paper we made no sense at all. And I’ve not doubted that feeling at all, in fact every time I see him I fall in love with him more, find him even more attractive, and have even more respect for him. There’s not a single thing about him I don’t like, and in the time we’ve been together we’ve had some really testing times but he’s been incredibly supportive and not put a foot wrong. He’s kind and generous, and hilariously funny. We’ve never had any cross words or an argument of any kind. Even my mum says it’s obvious how besotted we are with each other, and she normally just thinks my boyfriends are dicks 🤣.

I’m not peopley at all and find pretty much everyone annoying pretty quickly, but I can spend unlimited amounts of time with him and it’s always so relaxed and lovely. It’s the complete opposite of any other relationship I’ve had.

Goldencarp · 04/10/2022 01:08

Yes I think so. Together almost 30 years since our early 20’s. I know if something happened to either of us I’d definitely never have another relationship.

mackthepony · 04/10/2022 01:10

Yeah I've never seen any couple who've been together a long time like this

constantindigestion · 04/10/2022 01:54

We've been together for 22 years and married for 14. Still love each other as much as the beginning and have grown up together. Yes we have our ups and downs but there's a genuine warmth , respect and attraction there. He's my best friend.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.