My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To think standing outside of a class where children are is not a child protection issue

24 replies

Autumndaisies · 02/10/2022 16:12

I’m still a bit pissed off by this so wondering if anyone can shed any light.

I took my DD to a baby class at a village community centre on Friday, and left her coat behind. Went back Saturday morning and a dance class was going on.

As I pulled up outside a woman came out and started shouting at me that I couldn’t park there, I couldn’t be here and she would have to stay there until I left as children were coming in and out and it was a ‘child protection issue.’

Anyone? I’m lost!

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

142 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
6%
You are NOT being unreasonable
94%
Isaidnoalready · 02/10/2022 16:13

Are you a man? Did you have your child with you?

I'm baffled as to why her mind instantly went there

BiggerBoat1 · 02/10/2022 16:14

She's batshit.

Autumndaisies · 02/10/2022 16:14

I’m female and had DD in my arms! But to be honest surely a man going past the community centre shouldn’t in itself be a CP issue - if he was looking in through the windows or I was then obviously that isn’t on.

OP posts:
Ninjachick · 02/10/2022 16:15

Whether you're a man or woman is irrelevant, she's an idiot.

Laiste · 02/10/2022 16:16

Was it where you were parked was the issue? Child protection as in road crossing zig zag lines place ect?

monicagellerbing · 02/10/2022 16:20

What did you say back to her OP?

Autumndaisies · 02/10/2022 16:22

No, the hall has its own car park, I think she probably didn’t want me parking there but really odd!

OP posts:
WonderingWanda · 02/10/2022 16:29

In schools people who aren't crb checked cannot be left unsupervised with children. I expect that the dance class staff have to be crb checkled and that it is their responsibility to ensure no one else is on the premises at the time of their lessons. That said, she could easily have said 'can I help you' and when you explained why you were there accompanied you in whilst you looked for the cost. I suspect she has taken her training a bit too literally op.

CasaDelSoot · 02/10/2022 16:31

I hope you ignored her

TwitTw00 · 02/10/2022 16:33

Do you mean inside the venue? If they have exclusive use she's right - they could be sending children off to the toilet assuming the building was empty.

MajorCarolDanvers · 02/10/2022 16:35

She's off her head

Phos · 02/10/2022 16:44

TwitTw00 · 02/10/2022 16:33

Do you mean inside the venue? If they have exclusive use she's right - they could be sending children off to the toilet assuming the building was empty.

But she wasn't even in the building, she'd only just parked when the woman started going batshit.

Georgeskitchen · 02/10/2022 16:50

She's an idiot. Parking in a carpark is nothing to do with child protection. What does she think might happen ?

Autumndaisies · 02/10/2022 16:56

Yes that’s right, I wasn’t in the building. I can see that could be problematic, but the car park surely not.

OP posts:
Pineappleflowers · 02/10/2022 17:01

Our local hall doesn’t let parents in the building even when their children have classes on, so that children can roam the building without meeting strangers in the loo etc.

But the car park?! If their kids are roaming the car park without supervision then they’ve got much bigger problems than you parking there.

Sounds weird. I reckon she’s got fed up of constantly telling strangers they can’t pop into the hall to use the loo, for safeguarding reasons (and she’d be quite right to do so) and now she’s trying to police the carpark as well.

If they’ve rented the entire carpark as well as the building then she’d be within her rights to ask you to leave though. So depends on what the hall hires out.

QuebecBagnet · 02/10/2022 17:05

Autumndaisies · 02/10/2022 16:56

Yes that’s right, I wasn’t in the building. I can see that could be problematic, but the car park surely not.

But if you’d gone back for the coat I’m assuming you were planning on going in the building? Maybe it was obvious to her from where you’d parked that you were going in so I can see why she might be worried.

DD’s secondary school were recently made to hire a security guard to ensure nobody entered the premises without being checked as it was a safeguarding issue…..like not even allowed to enter the foyer by the office which has a locked door into the school. They ended up having to get a security fence and gate before the main door with an intercom.

Autumndaisies · 02/10/2022 17:06

I wouldn’t have just walked in though, @QuebecBagnet ! As I say I can quite see that could be a problem.

OP posts:
mrsjimhopper · 02/10/2022 17:09

Crackers. Also she need to learn the difference between safeguarding and child protection.

Noteverybodylives · 02/10/2022 17:34

How did she know you weren’t picking your child up from the dance class?

Comefromaway · 02/10/2022 17:37

The dance class would have hired the facilities which potentially includes the car parking. I used to hire a school hall and would occasionally have parents whose children attended other activities in different days or football on the playing fields trying to come in for various reasons from lost property to wanting to use the toilets.

my own policies, procedures & insurance did not allow this.

Comefromaway · 02/10/2022 17:40

However what I would have done was to enquire if I could help you and explained that sorry the car park/community centre was privately hired and I could not allow access at this time.

BadNomad · 02/10/2022 17:41

I'm guessing she thought you might have been there to kidnap one of the kiddies on the way out.

PuppyMonkey · 02/10/2022 17:44

What if you were just late for the class or something? Grin

Did you get the coat back or were you arrested on the spot?

Autumndaisies · 02/10/2022 17:45

Honestly, it was very strange. She just kept repeating ‘you shouldn’t be here!’

At least I know what DD will NOT be doing in the future!

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.