Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Baby bottles! Help!

15 replies

NeedMoMoney · 02/10/2022 10:01

Help!! New mum here! Sorry it's not an aibu, posted on parenting but this will more likely be read.
Recently gave birth to twins and have been trying to breast feed but finding it hard to feed both so trying to do both formula and breast, but im finding it hard to keep sterilising all the bottles for the formula feeds, is there anyway I can do a batch of bottles and keep them somewhere safe? I keep reading you can put them in the fridge but not sure how long you can keep them there. The steriliser I have can only hold about 4-6 bottles plus a few teats.
Any advice is welcome please!

OP posts:
Olivia199 · 02/10/2022 10:05

Hey! Congratulations on your twins!! NHS guidance is that made up formula can be kept in the back of the fridge for 24 hours. I used to make up a few at a time and it was a life saver!

LiamNeesonIsADerryGirl · 02/10/2022 10:07

Maybe a second steriliser? I had a Tommee Tippee microwave one, so doesn't take up additional space on work tops. I think the bottles stay sterile for 24 hours if you don't open the lid?

Olivia199 · 02/10/2022 10:09

Sorry! Ignore my message, it's absolutely not what you asked... I blame the sleep deprivation!!

Flubadubba · 02/10/2022 10:14

We used to use the Mam self-sterilising bottles. They are simple to sterilise in a couple of mins in a microwave. We also us we d to sterilise in a day's batch, and put them in a sterile, sealed container (they stay sterile for 24 hours) which we then dipped into.

As she got older, the sterilisation got a lot less important...

Flubadubba · 02/10/2022 10:15

Also: the Perfect Prep machine is a lifesaver if you are formula feeding. Perfect bottles every time- the only room for error is number of scoops....

MarsupiIami · 02/10/2022 10:17

Big container of Milton's?

Mamoun · 02/10/2022 10:19

In France where I am from, they say wash thoroughly with warm water and washing liquid, rince well but don't sterilise. I have three kids, never sterilised, or maybe once a fortnight I'd do a big batch but only because I live in the UK and was influenced by the sterilisation craze! None of them ever had a sick bug!

Nipples are far from sterile, they macerate in breast milk, against a non sterile breast pad, you ´might touch them to help baby latch, you apply cream on them....

I think the NHS says that you have to sterilise to make bottle feeding harder and encourage bf more.

hauntedvagina · 02/10/2022 10:19

MAM bottles, sterilise six at a time in the microwave and use as and when needed.

Made bottles using a Perfect Prep as and when required.

hauntedvagina · 02/10/2022 10:20

Mamoun · 02/10/2022 10:19

In France where I am from, they say wash thoroughly with warm water and washing liquid, rince well but don't sterilise. I have three kids, never sterilised, or maybe once a fortnight I'd do a big batch but only because I live in the UK and was influenced by the sterilisation craze! None of them ever had a sick bug!

Nipples are far from sterile, they macerate in breast milk, against a non sterile breast pad, you ´might touch them to help baby latch, you apply cream on them....

I think the NHS says that you have to sterilise to make bottle feeding harder and encourage bf more.

Couldn't agree more.

victoriacrosshairs · 02/10/2022 10:20

If you put the bottles together with the lid on they stay sterile for 24 hours?

Murdoch1949 · 02/10/2022 10:21

Congratulations. I had twin boys - 45 years ago! I just breastfed, so no bottle advice, but once you're through the first 9 months or so they become easier than a singleton. Always someone to play with, become best buds.

Merryclaire · 02/10/2022 10:27

Milton steriliser is very convenient as you can do a number of bottles at once and just leave them in there until you need them as they stay sterile.

Karamna · 02/10/2022 10:52

I used to sterilise them and keep them in the fridge until whenever they were needed.

After about 6 months we just washed them in the dishwasher and kept them in the fridge.

By the time they were crawling around licking shoes and eating food off the floor, the bottles just got kept in the drawer after dishwasher!

NeedMoMoney · 02/10/2022 13:35

Thankyou all for your advice! I'm thinking of getting the MAM bottles aswell now I've had a look! And I think alot of you are correct about the breast feeding! Every midwife that came into check up on me and the and the babies while I was in hospital kept bringing up how important breastfeeding was, even has a specific breastfeeding advisor come into see me!

OP posts:
Beachsidesunset · 02/10/2022 13:52

I sterilised everything religiously for PFB, relaxed a bit with my second, noticed he never got ill, did some research and didn't sterilise at all for third and fourth. The advice in other countries is only to sterilise if the baby is medically vulnerable or premature. Agree with the suspicion that the NHS is pushing the hassle of sterilisation to encourage breastfeeding!

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.