Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Has anyone ever read Malory towers?

558 replies

Orangejelly1 · 02/10/2022 00:04

I used to love the books as a child! I read them cover to cover so many times and my favourite character was Darrell. I recently found my old collection and re read parts of them just for old times sake and I was actually really disappointed to see, as an adult, how awful some of the popular characters were. I know it was a product of its time and a different era, but Darrell, Alicia and some of the most popular girls would be called nasty bullies nowadays. I also felt so sorry for Gwen, which surprised me because as a child rearing the books she was my least favourite character.

just wondered if anyone else re read the books and thought this too!

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

283 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
14%
You are NOT being unreasonable
86%
KillingMeDeftly · 02/10/2022 10:40

I didn't know Kate Saunders had turned to school fiction. I've read a few of her racier novels from the 90s and enjoyed them.

ChagSameachDoreen · 02/10/2022 10:42

I always pronounced Alicia as A-leece-ya in my head but my friend Lisa pronounced it Alissia 😆

RuthW · 02/10/2022 10:43

Me and dd loved them as children. We loved the bbc drama too. Dd is 25.

FlosCampi · 02/10/2022 10:46

@KillingMeDeftly If it's the same author, she also wrote Five Children on the Western Front which has a similar tone: not quite a children's book but using one as a jumping off point.

RiverSkater · 02/10/2022 10:48

I read them and the St Clare's books and have read them many times as an adult as a comfort read.

I have also read them to my children and we talk about the characters and how they are portrayed and behave. We've also read the follow on books of which there are quite a few.

We enjoyed the dramatisation but wished it had stayed a bit more faithful to the books in terms of plot. Gwen really was a schemer in it, rather than a spoiled snob. I never liked Alicia but did like Mary Lou, Daphne, Bill and Sally.

I'd like to read other school series but my children aren't into wizards or witches!

KillingMeDeftly · 02/10/2022 10:50

ChagSameachDoreen · 02/10/2022 10:42

I always pronounced Alicia as A-leece-ya in my head but my friend Lisa pronounced it Alissia 😆

I went to school with an Alicia who pronounced it Aleesha so it seems there's no end of confusion!

AsAnyFuleKno · 02/10/2022 10:51

I'd like to read other school series but my children aren't into wizards or witches!

Have you tried The Chalet School (Elinor M Brent-Dyer) Trebizon (Anne Digby) or Antonia Forest's Marlow books (a mixture of school books and holiday books)?

RiverSkater · 02/10/2022 10:52

Thanks for the recommendation @FlosCampi !

GeologyBedRock · 02/10/2022 11:03

I loved all the boarding school books as a child. I read all of EB school stories but never got into secret 7 or famous 5 I moved straight to Hardy boys and Nancy drew for my adventure stories.

I am generally a believer of only assessing things/people from the past against their own time not against today's values. Even so EB books seem to be very blatantly biased against anyone not white upper /middle class. However as a kid I was truly oblivious and they didn't influence me to grow up as a snob. I do read the faraway tree to my kids but some other EB books I wouldn't read to them. I have quite a lot of old children's books acquired over the years (hand me downs etc) I would guess some are very old copies therefore not even been censored for out of date (blatantly racist) terminology.... Off to check my bookcases as hadn't really thought about this aspect pre this thread.

RiverSkater · 02/10/2022 11:05

I've just remembered reading a book called 'A Girl called justice' which is written by Elly Griffiths who wrote the Ruth Galloway series and that's set in a Boarding school back in the 1930s and there's a mystery to solve. These is a series of them.

RiverSkater · 02/10/2022 11:06

@AsAnyFuleKno I shall check those out! Thank you

Isababybel · 02/10/2022 11:16

Yes i loved the books so much, and wanted to attend boarding school desperately! Not sure why as the characters were definitely all horrible, including Darrell. She slapped Gwendoline 7 times in the pool (because she was whining about it being cold or something?) Bunch of horrid girls really!

Dreamingcats · 02/10/2022 11:24

Isababybel · 02/10/2022 11:16

Yes i loved the books so much, and wanted to attend boarding school desperately! Not sure why as the characters were definitely all horrible, including Darrell. She slapped Gwendoline 7 times in the pool (because she was whining about it being cold or something?) Bunch of horrid girls really!

It wasn't because she was whinging. It was because she pushed Mary-Lou, who was scared of water, underwater several times and held her there out of spite. Darrell slapped her to stop her and again to teach her a lesson. Not that hitting is right obviously, but Gwen was being a bully.

KimberleyClark · 02/10/2022 11:27

In modern times Darrell would have been considered to have serious anger management issues. Losing your temper is one thing but assaulting people is another and Darrell did it three times, once while head girl of the Upper Fourth.

ProbAmU · 02/10/2022 11:28

Loved MT and most Blyton books, all time favourite is The Secret Island with Mike, Peggy, Nora and Jack.

Also loved Trebizon, would like to reread them.

CoralBells · 02/10/2022 11:30

I remember when reading it to dd a bit where Gwen was being dropped off at boarding school and crying and the girls were all imitating her by weeping and sobbing to mock her. I remember the stories were modernised a bit in the 80s but I had an old copy from a charity shop.

Arbesque · 02/10/2022 11:34

You should check out thr blytonlyobvious website. They contain some very funny send ups of the Malory Towers books.

girlfriend44 · 02/10/2022 11:40

Yes.

burnoutbabe · 02/10/2022 11:41

Ozgirl75 · 02/10/2022 04:45

I also really liked the Trebizon books and there was another series where they did a play about the two princes (I think?) and I vaguely remember they were in like a girl guides group? Very hazy memories but I really liked them at the time!

thats antonia forest - kingscote series - i have all 10 (4 school ones and 6 holiday ones). those and trebizon are the onlu ones i still have and reread.

I enjoyed the Mallory Towers tv show, very comfort watching. EB at least had George, the tom boy, who was much better than Dick at times.

FlibbertyGibbitt · 02/10/2022 11:43

I loved Enid Blyton books when I was young. The local education committee banned them from schools when I was around 10 I think !

KimberleyClark · 02/10/2022 11:43

CoralBells · 02/10/2022 11:30

I remember when reading it to dd a bit where Gwen was being dropped off at boarding school and crying and the girls were all imitating her by weeping and sobbing to mock her. I remember the stories were modernised a bit in the 80s but I had an old copy from a charity shop.

Didn’t her father catch them at it and he thought it was hilarious.

MrsFionaCharming · 02/10/2022 11:47

KimberleyClark · 02/10/2022 11:43

Didn’t her father catch them at it and he thought it was hilarious.

I grew up with a girl who would tantrum and fuss about all sorts in front of her mum and Nan, but be completely fine if her dad was there because he didn’t pander to it.

Gwen playing up to her mother and Miss Winters always reminded me of her!

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

burnoutbabe · 02/10/2022 11:47

Girls gone by publishing has released all the Antonia Forest stories recently (also avaialble via Amazon) - plus an 11th Follow on book (spring term) which is very good.

Plus lots of Chalet books (which i am also re-reading in order, up to the one after the Nazi escape) and even new ones by fan authors

www.ggbp.co.uk/

ElizabethBest · 02/10/2022 11:49

I still love them. The casual xenophobia not withstanding. I always thought Alicia was a total bitch, and a real bully!

KillingMeDeftly · 02/10/2022 11:50

I'll tell you what I didn't expect from the BBC series and that was for Gwen's mum to look like Lady Gaga!

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.