My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Renovation. Where to start? What to do?? Leave as is?

4 replies

Whoevenwhat · 01/10/2022 23:32

I need some advice please

our whole house needs renovation, we bought
It recently and it is really dated, the kitchen is tiny ( but perfectly usable).

we need to do an extension and whole house Reno but can’t afford it all in one go.

so where do we start ?

im thinking : save for 8 months and do the bathroom/ loft for storage/new skirting and plaster/ fitted wardrobes in bedrooms. I would leave the kitchen as it is.

than save for another 2 years and do a kitchen/ diner extension

does this sound reasonable? Any other ideas please ? Thank you

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

1 vote. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
0%
You are NOT being unreasonable
100%
MrsMoastyToasty · 01/10/2022 23:49

I would say do the "technicals" first - extension, if needed; roof; damp course; plumbing; drainage; rewiring; rendering; plastering.
Then do the "pretties" like decorating and built in furniture etc.

Blobblobblob · 01/10/2022 23:56

Agreed. Do you have an EICR report that tells you the state of the wiring?

What about the boiler and heating system?

spottycat22 · 05/10/2022 15:52

Hi all. I completed my 100% self build extension some time ago and decided to blog every step. I know how long I spent researching and looking for information - it's why I wrote my blog. Viewers of my site encouraged me to share my experiences here on the Mumsnet forum so here I am. My blog site is 100% free and not a commercial site, it's just me detailing every step I took from design to completion of the structure. I didn't pay an architect or a builder and completed the project for circa £25,000 rather than the £125,000 a builder quoted me. Even if this is too big a project for you maybe you could do some of the work I hope you will find something of interest on my site - www.diyhomeextension.co.uk - You are of course also welcome to contact me on Mumsnet too. I'm here to share what I learned and to help and encourage others. I wish everyone good luck with whatever project they are tackling. Best wishes, Chris

Worldgonecrazy · 05/10/2022 15:59

Are the electrics and central heating/plumbing sound? Is the skin of the house, roof etc sound? What about windows?

If all those are good start with the living room, so you have one nice room to escape to when it gets too much.

Then kitchen, bathroom, and finally bedrooms and hall.

If the electrics need doing put sockets in every corner, and over estimate.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.