Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Kids doing chest compressions

19 replies

Helpfulhaddock · 01/10/2022 13:12

Hi there, I've set up a new account for this but been here for ages.

Today my daughter showed me a game that she and her friends (4 girls all aged 7-8) were playing at school. You lie down with your arms crossed over your chest and someone else pushes down quite hard while you go "ha ha haaaa"

I'm not usually a worrier but this feels to me like something I did a few times when I was about fifteen that ends with you blacking it for a few seconds. Either they've seen it or had it explained to them and are trying to copy it without understanding why. I'm particularly worried that with them lying flat if they do pass out they might swallow their tongues.

2 questions really.

1 do you think I'm right to be concerned?

2 what do you think I should do? Options include:

• setting up a WhatsApp chat with the other mums to discuss

• dropping them individual messages and seeing where it goes

• speak to the school, it happened in a classroom during inside break on a rainy day so there perhaps should have been some supervision

• do nothing and stop worrying

• do something else

Thanks for reading
OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

43 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
19%
You are NOT being unreasonable
81%
megletthesecond · 01/10/2022 13:13

Email the school this weekend. The daft kids need to be spoken to.

Ionacat · 01/10/2022 13:15

Sounds like it could do some damage of they’re not careful. Speak to the school so they’re aware and can stop it. They need to know from a supervision point of view.

Helpfulhaddock · 01/10/2022 16:35

Thanks both, so better not to involve the other parents?

OP posts:
OriginalUsername3 · 01/10/2022 16:42

Definitely inform the school, I think it sounds like a suffocation type thing and could really hurt someone.

Namenic · 01/10/2022 17:05

Inform the school. Does not sound like a safe game.

Namenic · 01/10/2022 17:07

I would also talk to my child and say that it does not sound like a safe thing to do. Someone could end up getting v hurt.

JorisBonson · 01/10/2022 17:08

Blimey, we used to do this as teenagers (I'm very far from a teenager now). It's so very dangerous. I agree about speaking to the school.

FlibbertyGiblets · 01/10/2022 17:08

If you involve school then they will likely send out an all-parents letter, if you tell a few parents, just those you know, then not all parents will be in the loop. Email school this weekend. The children won't realise that an injury could occur, so they need play to be redirected by the adults.

misskatamari · 01/10/2022 17:09

I’d speak to the school too and talk to your daughter about the dangers of this, as I’m sure they are just playing and have no idea, but it’s definitely something that needs to be stopped

Romeoalpha · 01/10/2022 17:10

Speak to the school. Tell them who’s doing it. They can tell the other parents if necessary.

McConkeysPlate · 01/10/2022 17:12

I think British Heart Foundation have managed to get CPR onto the curriculum after trying for years. Could it be something to do with this?

Helpfulhaddock · 01/10/2022 17:12

Yeah sorry I should have said she and I have already had a good chat about this not being a safe or sensible thing to do.

OP posts:
properdoughnut · 01/10/2022 17:16

Yes speak to the school

willingtolearn · 01/10/2022 17:17

@Helpfulhaddock It is a myth that you can swallow your tongue.

It is true to say that when unconscious the tongue relaxes and can impede the airway, especially when lying on your back - moving someone to the recovery position prevents this.

Talk to your child about why what they are doing is dangerous and fit some first aid in whilst you're there! St Johns Ambulance has great resources for school aged children.

Lesserspotteddogfish · 01/10/2022 17:27

Speak to school and parents.

BashfulClam · 01/10/2022 17:36

Sone people at my school did this ridiculous ‘game’, one girl had a seizure. Really sorry I g to know it’s appeared as it cause blackouts due to
oxygen dropping.

Helpfulhaddock · 01/10/2022 21:20

Thanks all, smt emailed this evening. Will update next week if anything interesting happens.

OP posts:
Helpfulhaddock · 08/10/2022 23:36

Just to close this off. One of the senior management team got back to me to confirm they had spoken to the girls and were keeping an eye out for anyone doing similar. Daughter mentioned it to me but seems to have no idea I'm the grass!

Result i think...

OP posts:
Burnamer · 08/10/2022 23:40

Sorry to be stupid but how is this dangerous? MYbe I’m not understanding the game properly.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.