Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Phones ruining my relationship

5 replies

Annon1234 · 30/09/2022 14:09

Me and my husband are on holiday at the moment. We both work, him full time me part time so time together at home is pretty limited and usually just a sunday. I was really looking forward to spending some time together as a family, we have a little boy, and also not been the only parent around. He’s spent so much time on his phone while we’ve been here, he spent one day in the pool with our boy, and thinks he’s got free rein for the rest of the holiday. His phones been out at meal times, on a night while we’re having drinks. It’s relentless. I’ve snapped this morning as we were meant to be going out for the day and he was just sat on his phone, he says that I’m controlling and can’t dictate to him what he can and can’t do on holiday and that he wants to relax! Don’t we all! It’s my holiday too and I feel like he thinks he’s the only one that deserves a break. Am I wrong, am I been controlling to expect someone to be a present parent?

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

19 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
0%
You are NOT being unreasonable
100%
Noviembre · 30/09/2022 14:12

The phone isn't ruining your holiday. Your husband is.

It's up to you if you want to be in a relationship with someone who doesn't like you or want to even talk to you.

WorkHardPlayHard1 · 01/10/2022 16:44

Noviembre · 30/09/2022 14:12

The phone isn't ruining your holiday. Your husband is.

It's up to you if you want to be in a relationship with someone who doesn't like you or want to even talk to you.

That's very unkind and you have no basis for that harsh judgment. What a pathetic person you are.
Everyone knows people are addicted to phones. If he wants to go on holiday with his phone let him.

You can sit somewhere else with your child 👶 until he gets the hint.

You could prob agree an hour or so a day and then family time and engaging in the holiday country. ☀️

He could be at home on his phone! Agree a plan and then you get an hour a day to do what you like! :)

Shoxfordian · 01/10/2022 16:46

@Noviembre is right
He doesn’t want to spend time with you, he just wants to stare at his phone:

Liz1tummypain · 01/10/2022 16:52

I feel very sorry for the toddlers and children growing up today. At least you know the difference but kids have to accept it
Sorry Op,I don't know how you're going to deal with it but I agree you need to do something. Both you and your son aren't getting much time with him. Sounds like a rubbish holiday. You'll have to have it out with him. Time and attention are the nicest things to give the people you care about and if you're unwilling to give them, we don't feel loved and appreciated. Best wishes

Annon1234 · 01/10/2022 17:55

Thanks everyone. We had a really long chat about it last night as it was still playing on my mind. He likens it to reading a book by the pool, which in some respects I get, it’s not so much the being on the phone it’s being absolutely enthralled by it. Today has been a much better day. The phone has been away, so wether he has taken on board what I actually say who knows.

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.