Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To be buying things for Christmas now?

91 replies

Cryingbutstilltrying · 30/09/2022 14:01

DH thinks I am being ridiculous buying things for Christmas now.
Gifts, food items with long enough dates, things that I consider sensible to have as we know they will be needed.
DH would do all (or indeed, none) of the shopping on the 24th December and seems baffled annually that it takes longer than this. He has conceded that maybe spreading it through December is ok.
We have dc, parents who will be staying for Christmas here and a number of items that will need to be posted.
I’m also thinking that if items are on offer and available now, given all the dire things going on, I would rather have them bought and hidden so the kids will get a nice Christmas regardless.
Pretty much all my friends have primary age kids and spread the cost and shopping in much the same way, so I think this is entirely reasonable.
Have I missed something about leaving it all to the last minute?

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

258 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
3%
You are NOT being unreasonable
97%
BashfulClam · 30/09/2022 14:03

I start in September as it’s spreads the cost. I have most presents bought and wrapped.

StopStreet · 30/09/2022 14:03

Lol have you seen the Christmas board? People there started shopping months ago!

sparklecement · 30/09/2022 14:05

Yep. Come over to the Christmas board. You can catch up.

Nidan2Sandan · 30/09/2022 14:07

I always start shopping early, spreads the costs and can pick up decent bargains without fighting the crowds.

Cats23 · 30/09/2022 14:07

I started probably July-August, little things such as stocking fillers are done and a few books, games...
Main presents to get but v.easy so no issue,same as my parents - Vouchers for local restaurants. We have siblings,nieces and nephews but we only get gifts for our parents, as do my siblings- Saves money and effort and the dc all have a lot of gifts anyway! We enjoy a good xmas get together instead of gifts!
Food, I wait till maybe 20th Dec.

PumpkinGhoul · 30/09/2022 14:08

I've just started today bought majority of my DS and DDs I've done it now and try to do it this time every year to get deals and spread costs and most importantly just get it all done and dusted before December I like to relax knowing I don't have to do any online shopping or go to any shops trying to get stuff.
Food is the only thing I tend to leave closer to the time because I'm terrible with leaving sweet stuff alone and nibbles can't refrain from opening anything early 🤣

BattenburgDonkey · 30/09/2022 14:09

It wouldn’t be in the shops now if people didn’t start buying it now, it’s a pretty common thing to do!

Iguanainanigloo · 30/09/2022 14:09

No yanbu, I've learnt over the years to pick things up as I see them, as in the past I've made "mental notes" and then forgotten what I wanted to buy, or found myself unable to get them nearer the time. December is always busy socially, workwise, school calendars etc, so I like to get a chunk of the Xmas shopping done before it becomes a last min stress. I've bought a handful of bits for the kids so far this year, and will pick gifts up for family as and when I see things. X

Sparklesocks · 30/09/2022 14:11

A lot of people spread the cost of Christmas by buying things in different months across different paydays. I expect more people will be doing it than usual with the cost of living crisis. You do whatever is best for your family/budget, you don’t need anyone else’s permission.

TimeForMeToF1y · 30/09/2022 14:12

Surely that's a totally normal thing to do, all your DH is doing is showing is his ignorance of the world 😀

Iwannabelikeyouoohooh · 30/09/2022 14:12

I started my Christmas gift shopping yesterday as one PP said. I prefer to spread the cost over 4 pay days. We'll order our M&S meat this weekend though to be picked up a couple of days before Christmas.

Starting early also means I can shop around for better prices & enjoy the upcoming festivities stress free.

AlwaysLatte · 30/09/2022 14:15

I do it all year round, if I happen to see something particularly relevant to someone. One thing is for sure - I definitely don't shop in December!

DappledThings · 30/09/2022 14:18

I cannot entertain any thoughts about Christmas until December. It's just too stressful.

I hate seeing anything related in the shops before the start of Advent. Pisses me off how early I have to book anything for DD's Christmas timed birthday just because it's Christmas.

Fortunately have only DC to buy for now as adults have sensibly stopped doing presents but that's stressful enough.

Daisychainsx · 30/09/2022 14:18

I've got half my gift shopping done, and as soon as we get the keys to our new house in a few weeks I'll be thinking about non perishable foodstuff etc, I think it's sensible, spreads the cost so you're not scrambling come December!

Sceptre86 · 30/09/2022 14:19

Yep you have the right idea. I'd keep a list though so you know who you've bought for and what you've got them. I don't do it for Xmas but did for my dd's 1st birthday. It was a busy month birthday wise and so I wanted to spread the cost so I could actually afford to but her what I wanted.

Benjaminsniddlegrass · 30/09/2022 14:25

I am a good way through Christmas present shopping and will have done it all by mid November. December is for relaxing and enjoying the run up not getting stressed by buying gifts. I like to give things that are meaningful so when I see something I know they will love I get it then.

RewildingAmbridge · 30/09/2022 14:29

We're almost finished for presents for DS, I wouldn't get food yet simply because it would probably get eaten! I also have DHs birthday end November and DS birthday early December so have to prepare or its a nightmare

balalake · 30/09/2022 14:30

Starting now if it helps with budgeting ok, but do you really need to be buying as much as you seem to be doing?

Jaffacats · 30/09/2022 14:34

Yanbu, I try to do the same. Buying bits and pieces helps spread the cost and doesn’t take much effort.

Howabsolutelyfanfuckingtastic · 30/09/2022 14:36

I've been buying things for about 3 months now, totally normal. Your DH is crazy if he thinks it should all be crammed into December meaning you'll be rushing around like mad!

Annoyed200722 · 30/09/2022 14:36

Not at all.

I have picked up some stocking fillers while out in town today!

fallinover · 30/09/2022 14:41

I've always had a Xmas cupboard.
I was delighted to see one feature on Derry Girls and DH was surprised that I wasn't the person with this strange habit.

Roystonv · 30/09/2022 14:43

Spread the cost, the worry and the time it takes. Only a man could think it daft! Get ahead when you can as for many people it is an effort to make it magical.

Vinylloving · 30/09/2022 14:48

Of course not unreasonable, it's patently obvious that starting early is the key to managing finances and stress around it. He clearly doesn't step up to the organisation!

uncomfortablydumb53 · 30/09/2022 14:54

I'started buying a few bits this month just branded T shirts I found on offer
I'm on disability benefits and enjoy treating my 3 adult DS's
Helps spread the costs and also watch for any discounts
DS2 also birthday in November
I think it's the best idea
Your DH may not have much idea of the effort involved... My exh never did

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.