Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Don’t kiss my baby

30 replies

Janedoe95 · 30/09/2022 09:04

Is it unreasonable to suddenly tell people to stop kissing my baby? especially when I previously allowed it?

I thought once we were passed the newborn stage it would be fine and my baby was born just after flu season however with it approaching again I’ve seen in the news about a 8 month old baby catching RSV and being hospitalized.

im worried about how it’ll be taken especially by MIL and SIL as they do like kissing him and may take it personally being suddenly told not too.

i know it will be difficult for my own DM as she was very dismissive even when I initially told her no kissing as a newborn however unlike my MIL I won’t have to tiptoe and can just say don’t kiss DS or I won’t come over.

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

88 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
56%
You are NOT being unreasonable
44%
Porcupineintherough · 30/09/2022 22:48

@Wifflywafflywoo I'm in no way a germaphobe

You are utterly insane.

MissyCooperismyShero · 30/09/2022 22:59

'Your baby, your rules' is absolute nonsense though isn't it? You don't own your baby! You don't get to make the rules about your baby. What if you decided to never change his nappy, or only feed him carrots? He wouldn't be your baby for long and would be zapped into the care of social services double quick. Your job is to act in his best interests always and pretty much until adulthood. If you want to ask people not to kiss him its got to be because in your considered opinion it is necessary to keep him safe - not because you just don't fancy it.

Minimalme · 30/09/2022 23:05

Very sensible - adults kept away from each other when they don't want to catch germs so it makes sense to do what you can to protect your baby.

I am a slobbery Auntie but I always check with my sister if she's happy to me to hold her baby and do my best to not kiss the baby. Absolutely wouldn't of asked either.

Your baby, your rules.

Fj03 · 12/01/2023 03:30

I agree, you are the mum and your rules. Don't let anyone tell you or make you feel bad. You have to be cautious, at the end of the day these little humans rely on mum for care and protection. So you do what is right and best for you and baby and I'm totally on your side and I've put my foot down many times and my in laws have hated it and judged me but I do not care. If I can protect my baby I will. Sending lots of love xxx

Whenharrymetsmelly · 12/01/2023 05:06

Given how many people share lipgloss YANBU

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.