Please or to access all these features

AIBU?

Share your dilemmas and get honest opinions from other Mumsnetters.

Kicking myself about not fixing mortgage rate

84 replies

errnerrcallnernnernnern · 28/09/2022 15:56

Hi, our mortgage expired a year ago and we have been paying the variable rate ever since. We were offered a rate of 3.4% for a 3 year term.

I have just called my bank now and have been offered a 5 year term at 3.9%.

I just wanted to get your views on whether you would take 3.9%, or should I shop around?

I am inclined to either to lock it in for 5 years or 3 years.

Thanks! Happy to provide more details if needed.

OP posts:
Edinvillian · 29/09/2022 19:43

Jubaju · 29/09/2022 19:35

Barclays were offering 3.65 for a 5yr fix just now. Seems a good deal

Interest rates going up 0.5% again shortly 🫣

I fixed with them on Monday for 3.34%

boxybox · 29/09/2022 19:44

This says BoE rates are expected to go to 4.5 in Nov then nearly 8% in Dec. Mortgage interest rates will therefore be higher.

but the article you linked says the below?

""We expect the Bank of England to hike rates aggressively from 2.25% to 4.5% by early 2023, with a hawkish pivot in November," says Sonali Punhani, Credit Suisse."

Lcb123 · 29/09/2022 20:13

Try a free mortgage broker like L&C so you know you’re getting the best deal

Notallthosewhowander1 · 29/09/2022 20:22

We have just fixed at 3.8% with tsb for 5 years, it’s our existing lender. We paid a £2k early exit fee as well on our current mortgage. Like someone upthread said, sometimes you’ll be up, sometimes you might be down but at least you know the amount.

KOrgi · 29/09/2022 21:26

Have you tried their website? I don’t know about your provider, but for many mortgage providers if you are already with them you can do a ‘product transfer’ that can be done online in 10min. We did this and didn’t require a finance check as we are staying with same provider.

KOrgi · 29/09/2022 21:27

Sorry that was for @WorrieaboutFIL

skyeisthelimit · 30/09/2022 09:48

If I stay with my current provider I can change the mortgage in December, otherwise I can't do it until March, so will have to see what happens between now and December and see what current provider offers and make a decision. I don't want to wait until March to move elsewhere and end up regretting it.

Maggiethecat · 30/09/2022 09:57

Did 5 year fixed last year - usually do 2 yr - and was actually considering 10 yr fixed.

The retrospectoscope is a funny ol thing. The only way rates were ever going to be going after being low for so long is up so this whole dithering about potentially a few tenths of a percentage point gain, if they did decrease in 10 years is nuts!

Almosthere · 30/09/2022 13:52

skyeisthelimit · 30/09/2022 09:48

If I stay with my current provider I can change the mortgage in December, otherwise I can't do it until March, so will have to see what happens between now and December and see what current provider offers and make a decision. I don't want to wait until March to move elsewhere and end up regretting it.

Double check this is right.

I've just come off a call with a broker and she said i could have locked in a deal with another provider 6 months prior, but I was waiting for 3 months prior as that's what my current lender told me.

I've just locked in to 4.27% for 2 yrs, and broker said the rate goes up 0.82pp tomorrow 😑

New posts on this thread. Refresh page
Swipe left for the next trending thread