Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

New job only offering SSP

62 replies

Lyns18 · 28/09/2022 07:08

I have been offered a new job. The reason I applied was the hours were better and it's alternate Saturdays as opposed to every Saturday. I got the job offer letter but they only offer SSP. My current job is 90% pay for 6 weeks and then 50% for 6 weeks but no pay for first 3 days. I am a healthcare professional. My current job is with a larger company and the new job with a smaller business although they have gone into Partnership with a larger group recently. Is this the norm now to be offered SSP? AiBU to expect a better sick pay package as a professional? I have a mortgage and two kids. We have critical illness cover with our mortgage but this would only cover more substantial illness I think. It's the real sticking point for me.

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

83 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
46%
You are NOT being unreasonable
54%
Antsinmypantsneedtodance · 28/09/2022 07:12

If youre an HCP i'd asusme they should be rivaling the NHS. Which is a hell of a lot more than SSP!

Treezylover · 28/09/2022 07:16

I started a new job this year and was horrified to see that it was SSP only for the six month probation period, esp in a global pandemic. Really affected my single parent income when we got hit with covid. But I came to the private from the public sector which I think is better in terms of these policies.

purpledagger · 28/09/2022 07:18

If you are used to receiving occupational sick pay, it can be a shocker to only get SSP, but many companies do only pay SSP.

MidnightEagle · 28/09/2022 07:18

Antsinmypantsneedtodance · 28/09/2022 07:12

If youre an HCP i'd asusme they should be rivaling the NHS. Which is a hell of a lot more than SSP!

Yes I work in private sector. Most people in my profession do although there are NHS positions. Private wages generally better than NHS although pension, sick etc not as good.

Dannexe · 28/09/2022 07:19

Its very normal. Businesses are struggling.

Its a trade off. Is the every other Saturday off worth more to you than potential sick pay. How often are you off sick? For most people the Saturday time would be far more valuable since they'd only have a couple of days of sick max each year.

Explaintome · 28/09/2022 07:19

It would have to be really much better terms in every other way for me to take the job. You don't actually need to be that ill to need 6 weeks off.

I'd tell them why I won't work for such a poor employer too. It won't help for you but hopefully if firms can't recruit because of it they

...they'll eventually have to change their practice.

HouseInChaos · 28/09/2022 07:24

I've noticed this change in IT professional roles as well. Everywhere I've worked previously has had good sick pay, but more and more jobs are SSP. Really puts me off applying for any.

MidnightEagle · 28/09/2022 07:26

Dannexe · 28/09/2022 07:19

Its very normal. Businesses are struggling.

Its a trade off. Is the every other Saturday off worth more to you than potential sick pay. How often are you off sick? For most people the Saturday time would be far more valuable since they'd only have a couple of days of sick max each year.

I'm not sick very often and when I am it's normally just 1 or 2 days with a sick bug or something I get from the kids, so in my current job i wouldn't get paid anyway as it's less than 3 days. I suppose I'm just worried if I was off longer term sick. The last longer illness I had was about 6 years ago when I had labrynthitis and was off about 2 weeks.

notdaddycool · 28/09/2022 07:28

We only offer SSP, I hope to get it changed at some point, seems awful to me.

MidnightEagle · 28/09/2022 07:30

It would have to be really much better terms in every other way for me to take the job. You don't actually need to be that ill to need 6 weeks off.

I'd tell them why I won't work for such a poor employer too. It won't help for you but hopefully if firms can't recruit because of it they

Yes that's my feeling aswell. There are plenty of illnesses that could knock you out for a few weeks that wouldn't be covered by critical illness insurance either.

owen82 · 28/09/2022 07:30

This will probably sound stupid, I've only ever worked public sector, but I assumed everyone got paid sick pay! Only for a limited time obviously but I assumed no one had to worry about the odd illness.

Butterlover1 · 28/09/2022 07:32

That would be a red line for me.

somewhereovertherain · 28/09/2022 07:32

Funny sickness is endemic in the NHS and public sector, they need to move to SSP only so many people taking the piss.

(And yes I’m sure there are some genuine cases but not seen any in my life just people screwing the system)

milkysmum · 28/09/2022 07:32

I'm a nurse. I had a brief ( 3 year period ) out of the NHS and working in private sector. Very common for staff to only get SSP. It was a significant factor in me deciding to return to the NHS last year.

somewhereovertherain · 28/09/2022 07:33

owen82 · 28/09/2022 07:30

This will probably sound stupid, I've only ever worked public sector, but I assumed everyone got paid sick pay! Only for a limited time obviously but I assumed no one had to worry about the odd illness.

Nope. Most businesses I’ve worked for have ssp only and lots more employers moving that way due to abuse.

Explaintome · 28/09/2022 07:35

somewhereovertherain · 28/09/2022 07:32

Funny sickness is endemic in the NHS and public sector, they need to move to SSP only so many people taking the piss.

(And yes I’m sure there are some genuine cases but not seen any in my life just people screwing the system)

I've worked 35 years with an average of much less than one sickness absence a year. I had 3 months off sick when DH died. I'm glad my colleagues think I'm screwed the system and I hope you never need it.

Life turns in a moment, which anyone working in the NHS must surely know?

somewhereovertherain · 28/09/2022 07:35

...they'll eventually have to change their practice.

Good luck with that we’ve no issues in recruiting.

mightbeyesmightbeno · 28/09/2022 07:36

I work in the private health sector as well and only receive SSP. Yes it's not great, but I left the NHS as in general the terms and conditions are better - working hours / pay etc. Am also now on mat leave for the second time since working for them and only receiving SMP, which is a huge difference from NHS.

somewhereovertherain · 28/09/2022 07:38

Explaintome · 28/09/2022 07:35

I've worked 35 years with an average of much less than one sickness absence a year. I had 3 months off sick when DH died. I'm glad my colleagues think I'm screwed the system and I hope you never need it.

Life turns in a moment, which anyone working in the NHS must surely know?

Do you want a round of applause. Surprisingly if I’m off for 3 months I’ve a fund to cover that and liners cover that kicks in after 3 months.

we looked at taking on a department of a local council 6 staff 3 on long term sick and they wanted to tupe the staff across. Surprisingly no one took it on and they all got made redundant.

Atmywitsend29 · 28/09/2022 07:48

It can be quite a shock moving from decent sick pay to SSP. I worked for a hospice and received full pay, and then moved back into private healthcare and went to SSP.
It was part of my decision to leave to be honest, I needed to think worst case scenario. And worst case scenario, if I got seriously ill or broke a bone or something, on SSP we wouldn't survive.

MidnightEagle · 28/09/2022 07:55

mightbeyesmightbeno · 28/09/2022 07:36

I work in the private health sector as well and only receive SSP. Yes it's not great, but I left the NHS as in general the terms and conditions are better - working hours / pay etc. Am also now on mat leave for the second time since working for them and only receiving SMP, which is a huge difference from NHS.

It doesn't mention maternity but I think it would be SMP. I'm finished having children but that would be something I would take into consideration too. It's just frustrating that we work hard to get these professions and then our working terms are poor.

Redqueenheart · 28/09/2022 07:55

@somewhereovertherain
''Explaintome
...they'll eventually have to change their practice.''

''Good luck with that we’ve no issues in recruiting.''

You might have no issue in recruiting but I wonder how long you will retain good, qualified staff who have options to move to better roles if you only offer basic benefits in your employment contracts.

Short-term thinking...

BackT · 28/09/2022 07:58

We only get SSP and it would be one of the factors that make me move jobs.

In fact I've not had a sick day in 3 years but you never know what's coming.

GoldenPineapple88 · 28/09/2022 08:02

They are taking the mick. Companies like this are showing that they don't care about their employees and I'd be very wary indeed of working for an organisation like this. I'd hold out for better if I were you OP, those conditions are terrible. I would not even consider working for anyone who didn't offer full sick pay.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.