My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

WIBA to have made this comment about kids TV?

12 replies

Newname384 · 26/09/2022 19:49

NC as outing.

DSis has a 3 month old baby, she often puts the TV on to pacify her for a short while. Our mum was looking after the baby today and put on Cocomelon, DSis kicked off and was very rude to mum as this isn’t allowed, apparently it is too overstimulating and encourages bad behaviour such a foot stomping and tantrums. Confused, I asked ‘isn’t all TV bad for babies that young?’. Well all hell broke loose, she told me I had made her feel like a terrible mother and made some sarcastic comments about how she hopes I never have to use the TV to recompose myself or enjoy a coffee. This wasn’t my intention though, all I meant was surely if you’re happy for the baby to watch TV, Cocomelon is no different to the stuff she is allowed to watch!?

Was I being unreasonable to have made this comment?

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

46 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
41%
You are NOT being unreasonable
59%
Cantanka · 26/09/2022 19:53

Well yes and no. Bit twatty to say all tv is bad for babies when you know your sister lets her baby watch it, but she was being ridiculous about cocomelon so maybe she deserved it.

I have heard cocomelon has loads of scene changes etc so isn’t good to attention span but a) I think that’s a bit batshit and b) even if it is true, it won’t be because it was on for 5 minutes as a one off

SalviaOfficinalis · 26/09/2022 19:54

YABU to comment.

I actually agree with DSis that cocomelon is particularly overstimulating and addictive.
I’m not sure it makes too much of a difference when the baby is that young though.

KendrickLamaze · 26/09/2022 19:56

I get what you were trying to say but there's a massive likelihood it would be taken the wrong way seeing as she lets them watch it and seems stressy.

I actually think it is good for babies. I never let DD watch any as thought healthy stimulation was better but her friends were actually more advanced in talking and stuff and I think it was because of informative kids shows. She started watching it and soon caught up. Could be bollocks though.

Newname384 · 26/09/2022 19:58

I agree it was a bit twatty to make the comment, she just really pissed me off with how rude she was to Mum who was doing her a favour by looking after her DD, all she had to do was say ‘please don’t put Cocomelon on and stick to XYZ instead’

OP posts:
SliceOfCakeCupOfTea · 26/09/2022 19:58

I hate cocomelon but I don't think it's any worse than anything else

PuttingDownRoots · 26/09/2022 19:58

I don't think the baby particularly cares at that age... just put on something the parent likes.

SeptemberFriend · 26/09/2022 20:00

3 months?! Might as well stick a 3 month old in front of something the adults enjoy to be honest. Babies like looking at random things like the patterns on their own sleeve. I think your sis is probably feeling very sensitive right now and lacking in confidence over her parenting abilities and is therefore being a bit precious. You weren’t BU but I remember the new mum feeling so it wouldn’t hurt to be extra sensitive around her for a while

FrankTheThunderbird · 26/09/2022 20:01

I think mine watched a lot of Jeremy Kyle at that age. They seem to have grown up to be decent young men.

Lady1576 · 26/09/2022 20:05

Cocomelon has been singled out by experts as overstimulating. You’re right though, don’t think any TV is recommended or necessary at that age. As someone with a toddler who loves TV and who uses it most days…. I am quite surprised that your mum would use TV with a 3 month old. Surely she sees her rarely enough to not need to resort to TV. Your sister is with the baby 24/7 so might occasionally use it for a short break if baby is super fussy!

Newname384 · 26/09/2022 20:05

@SeptemberFriend yeah I do get that, her rudeness just gets my back up when DM is just trying to help

OP posts:
Newname384 · 26/09/2022 20:12

@Lady1576 DM has the baby 2/3 times a week and I think she just tries to stick to the routine she has with DSis she just picked the wrong TV show

OP posts:
Cantanka · 26/09/2022 20:20

Newname384 · 26/09/2022 19:58

I agree it was a bit twatty to make the comment, she just really pissed me off with how rude she was to Mum who was doing her a favour by looking after her DD, all she had to do was say ‘please don’t put Cocomelon on and stick to XYZ instead’

Yeah fair enough. Tbh if I were your mum I’d be telling my daughter to look after her own baby. I hate people who call in childcare favours then get critical over how the child is cared for.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.