Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

M&S ridiculous policy

39 replies

Twoscotcheggsandajarofmarmite · 24/09/2022 20:58

I need a new pair of work shoes and I found what I was looking for online at Marks but I was a bit hesitant because of the price. They went into the sale yesterday but they were sold out in my size. I checked in store availability and the nearest pair to me was a 45 minute drive away, but they were a bargain so off I set.

When I got there I couldn't see them so I asked an assistant who told me they were out the back in the storeroom but she couldn't sell them to me because they were in the sale. I was a bit incredulous and thought I'd misunderstood so I spoke to a passing manager who confirmed that no they wouldn't go and get the shoes for me. I could have bought them online at the sale price in a size smaller or ordered to collect them at that very store but I couldn't have the one from the back in my size.

Am I missing something or is this a crazy policy?

OP posts:
cawfeee · 24/09/2022 22:15

Excuse my thickness, but I don't understand what you would need to do to get them. What is the policy
I can understand you can't take from online stock, because it might mess up stock control, why was all the store sale stock not out on the floor, including shoes?
Did they explain how you can purchase them ?

JamesBondOO7 · 24/09/2022 22:16

A pat on the back for the M&S sales staff and manager for sticking to the rules.

Twoscotcheggsandajarofmarmite · 24/09/2022 22:27

@cawfeee I just had to wait until they were ready to put them on the shelf. They must only put out so much sale stock at a time. I absolutely understand that, we couldn't fit all our sale stock in the allotted space at one time. But if a customer came in looking for a particular item I would send someone out to the warehouse to get them, or go and get them myself because, you know, customer service.

OP posts:
Sweetmotherofallthatisholyabov · 24/09/2022 22:39

It's a no reservation of sale policy. So you can't sell something from behind the counter, the fitting rooms or the stock room to someone. you need to wait until they've been processed and put out. It's a sackable offence. I think it's to avoid collusion from staff to make sure they get the best sales pieces but it's bloody bat shit crazy.

Tornado70 · 24/09/2022 22:40

That’s so frustrating for you OP.
I ordered some trousers from m & s click and collect. Had an email which said there was a delay. 2 days later another email to say they’d cancelled my order as out of stock.
i immediately went back online and ordered them again. Picked them up the next day!
Their system really needs looking at!
Surely if there’s a facility on the website to see which has an item
in stock, you should be able to buy it there!

cawfeee · 24/09/2022 22:48

Twoscotcheggsandajarofmarmite · 24/09/2022 22:27

@cawfeee I just had to wait until they were ready to put them on the shelf. They must only put out so much sale stock at a time. I absolutely understand that, we couldn't fit all our sale stock in the allotted space at one time. But if a customer came in looking for a particular item I would send someone out to the warehouse to get them, or go and get them myself because, you know, customer service.

Ah. Maybe it's to stop staff having first dibs on the good sales items.

Twoscotcheggsandajarofmarmite · 24/09/2022 23:03

@Sweetmotherofallthatisholyabov ah ok, obviously M&S staff are sneakier than the staff in our store. We trust our staff not to abuse the system so we don't need such ridiculous rules.
I've ordered a pair of bloody fit flops in temper! €120 instead of the bargainous €20 ones but my feet will thank me. Silver linings and all that

OP posts:
Sweetmotherofallthatisholyabov · 24/09/2022 23:20

Aw that's not fair. Surely we can assume they're trustworthy given they're upholding ridiculous policy and that the fault lies with head office?

Blowthemandown · 24/09/2022 23:43

@KittyKatBlue because online was not showing in stock in her size so she could not order.

BattenburgDonkey · 24/09/2022 23:49

It’s a stupid rule I agree. I don’t get why you’ve ordered different expensive flip flops though when you could just go back to the store tomorrow and buy the once’s you want.

TheSummerPalace · 25/09/2022 07:20

I would have bought or reserved online, not driven 45 minutes without doing either

Don’t you think, I would have done that, if I could? In my case, the suitcases didn’t appear on the website, as available to order online. I could put the product code in, and they came up - but I could only find where they were in stock!

JuliaDorneys · 25/09/2022 08:12

So you work in retail yourself @Twoscotcheggsandajarofmarmite ?

I worked in Clarks shops for years ( part time job when a student.)

We were not allowed to sell shoes put away for the sale until the sale officially started. if someone asked, they'd have to wait for the sale day.

Twoscotcheggsandajarofmarmite · 25/09/2022 10:31

I do@JuliaDorneys. The sale had started, they were at sale price online. There was a sale area in the shop, those shoes just weren't put out yet.

OP posts:
Twoscotcheggsandajarofmarmite · 25/09/2022 10:33

@BattenburgDonkey I bought the fit flops in temper because I refused to give M&S my business. Also I have to take my daughter back to uni today so I don't have a spare 90 minutes for the journey.

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.