Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To wonder why the National Insurance increase was reversed

68 replies

Musicalmaestro · 24/09/2022 09:37

As I thought it was meant to provide much needed funds for social care.

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

59 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
29%
You are NOT being unreasonable
71%
StripyHorse · 24/09/2022 09:39

Because the govt don't care about social care.

They care about making money for themselves and their friends / donors.

properdoughnut · 24/09/2022 09:40

They have some extra funds now

sst1234 · 24/09/2022 09:40

Because we shouldn’t have to pay for social care of others so they can pass on their house as an inheritance to their children.

JenniferAllisonPhillipaSue · 24/09/2022 09:41

Because they've decided not to provide state-funded social or health care. They haven't actually said that but, with no money in the pot, that is what will happen.

strugglingmum82 · 24/09/2022 09:42

@sst1234 agreed.

BeyondMyWits · 24/09/2022 09:43

Because it was Rishi's idea?

Fladdermus · 24/09/2022 09:45

A core principle of tory belief is that the state isn't responsible for meeting the care needs of the individual. That's up to the individual. So you keep your tax money and fund your own social care/health care/education etc. And tough shit if you can't afford it, you just need to stop being a lazy arse and work harder so you can afford it. Or die.

Bring on the revolution!

YouSirNeighMmmm · 24/09/2022 09:49

Fladdermus · 24/09/2022 09:45

A core principle of tory belief is that the state isn't responsible for meeting the care needs of the individual. That's up to the individual. So you keep your tax money and fund your own social care/health care/education etc. And tough shit if you can't afford it, you just need to stop being a lazy arse and work harder so you can afford it. Or die.

Bring on the revolution!

No, the core belief of the tories is that the only people who deserve to be helped are hard working people. Hard working people are all rich because, obviously, if you work hard you become very rich and everyone poor is by definition lazy or so stupid that they choose to work as a nurse or junior doctor or teacher or some other job only losers do.

Fladdermus · 24/09/2022 10:21

YouSirNeighMmmm · 24/09/2022 09:49

No, the core belief of the tories is that the only people who deserve to be helped are hard working people. Hard working people are all rich because, obviously, if you work hard you become very rich and everyone poor is by definition lazy or so stupid that they choose to work as a nurse or junior doctor or teacher or some other job only losers do.

And that's what perplexes me. How do they get and stay in power for so long. At the last election they got 43% of the vote, but 43% of voters are not rich. If all rich voters voted tory (except they wouldn't as they're not all arses) then they still should only have around 5% of the vote. So 38% of voters have voted for a party that wants to utterly shaft them and doesn't care if them or their kids live or die.

Tuilpmouse · 24/09/2022 12:18

Musicalmaestro · 24/09/2022 09:37

As I thought it was meant to provide much needed funds for social care.

The NI rise wasn't for increasing funding for current social care provision, but for funding the raising of the savings cap individuals contribute to care... it helped those with assets, not the poorest.

purpleme12 · 24/09/2022 12:22

@Fladdermus someone said that the lower paid people are less likely to vote.
And higher paid are more likely to vote and also more likely to vote Tory.
Which is how they get away with it?
I don't know how true this is.
Does anyone know if people who are lower paid are less likely to vote?

Amboseli · 24/09/2022 12:22

Fladdermus · 24/09/2022 10:21

And that's what perplexes me. How do they get and stay in power for so long. At the last election they got 43% of the vote, but 43% of voters are not rich. If all rich voters voted tory (except they wouldn't as they're not all arses) then they still should only have around 5% of the vote. So 38% of voters have voted for a party that wants to utterly shaft them and doesn't care if them or their kids live or die.

Yes this perplexes me too. When the leadership campaign was on I saw a TV interview with conservative party members of whom 2 were teachers and 2 were nurses!

Fladdermus · 24/09/2022 12:27

Amboseli · 24/09/2022 12:22

Yes this perplexes me too. When the leadership campaign was on I saw a TV interview with conservative party members of whom 2 were teachers and 2 were nurses!

My dad's care workers all said they were voting tory. Kind, caring intelligent women on minimum wage in a sector being decimated by the tories. Why? I genuinely don't understand it.

LadyAethelfled · 24/09/2022 12:35

I would have been happy to pay the increase. I don't understand why they are reversing it, other than wanting to drive the NHS and social care even further into the ground so it is eventually privatised or in an even worse state for the next labour government.

wast542 · 24/09/2022 12:48

Because there was an increase, they have reversed it due to cost of living. Not rocket science

Tuilpmouse · 24/09/2022 13:16

Redistribution of wealth is seen by many as the politics of envy and entitlement.... Many people of all income levels believe that individuals are fundamentally responsible for their own financial circumstances.

speakingofart · 24/09/2022 13:19

Because it would yet again have benefitted the boomers at the cost of millennials and quite frankly I've had enough. I don't particularly agree with the tax cuts, but I didn't agree with paying for the care of older, richer people so that they could pass on inheritance intact so I do agree with this particular one.

MarshaBradyo · 24/09/2022 13:28

It was the one thing that I thought was ok

Not sure about other stuff it’s a mix. But then the other parties opposed it too so if you wanted it only Sunak was one to keep it

Mainly because I want to see social care helping de clog NHS system

Although I get the younger generations might have a different view (I’m late 40s). They’ve been hit hard over last few years

PollyEsther · 24/09/2022 14:19

Fladdermus · 24/09/2022 12:27

My dad's care workers all said they were voting tory. Kind, caring intelligent women on minimum wage in a sector being decimated by the tories. Why? I genuinely don't understand it.

In the nicest possible way, the answer is ignorance. Not in the nasty sense, in the sense that they are extremely uninformed and lack the will or means to properly reasearch and/or understand politics. So they rely on what the popular media daily mail tells them.

That is if they are "kind, caring and intelligent," otherwise, they actually understand all of the above and are just selfish/thick/don't give a fuck.

OnlyFoolsnMothers · 24/09/2022 14:27

Easiest way to look like they are helping people with the cost of living- all a complete joke, that 30 extra quid a month for me doesn’t help one jot with the soaring prices and I would rather a better social care system for my children.

Moonmelodies · 24/09/2022 14:29

PollyEsther · 24/09/2022 14:19

In the nicest possible way, the answer is ignorance. Not in the nasty sense, in the sense that they are extremely uninformed and lack the will or means to properly reasearch and/or understand politics. So they rely on what the popular media daily mail tells them.

That is if they are "kind, caring and intelligent," otherwise, they actually understand all of the above and are just selfish/thick/don't give a fuck.

Or, they believe voting any other way will make things even worse. Who knows?

Tuilpmouse · 25/09/2022 07:04

@PollyEsther

Care workers on the minimum wage have seen their pay increased well above inflation year on year as a result of the rises to the national living wage. It was £7.83 in April 2018. It's £9.50 today. You can argue that it's still not enough but that's a huge increase (21%).

Clearly the cost of living crisis we are currently experiencing is a major issue to those on low incomes, but until early this year, their incomes increased significantly in real terms.

Despite care workers pay increasing significantly, they have plenty of other jobs to go into, such as supermarket assistants, that pay more still, hence the lack of care workers. The general situation for a care worker until the recent cost of living crisis was much better than it was five years ago - wages much higher in real terms and plenty of options to work elsewhere.

It's you who is showing your ignorance here not the care workers. The arrogance and condescension of many left-wingers who believe that hapless care workers and others are somehow hypnotised by Daily Mail headlines is part of what has turned off many voters, especially in red wall seats.

rockyg · 25/09/2022 07:15

Because they've decided not to provide state-funded social or health care. They haven't actually said that but, with no money in the pot, that is what will happen.

this

rockyg · 25/09/2022 07:18

And that's what perplexes me. How do they get and stay in power for so long.

people think they are the "hardworking rich" when they are not. people think one day they will be rich & don't want to vote for something that will harm their future selves even if it harms them now.

rockyg · 25/09/2022 07:23

I don't particularly agree with the tax cuts, but I didn't agree with paying for the care of older, richer people so that they could pass on inheritance intact so I do agree with this particular one.

I thought it was good that working pensioners were due to pay the new tax. Why will the reversal of NI mean people won't be able to pass their inheritance on?

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.