Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To be totally fatigued by all the bad news and changes from the last few years

42 replies

nellytheelephant1980 · 22/09/2022 13:17

It's just never-ending isn't it? I feel a constant sense of impending doom. Nothing seems stable, I dread looking at the news to hear of more horrendous things coming our way - lockdowns, fuel prices, energy prices, interest rate raises so higher mortgages, the Ukraine war and Russia's threats.

I am so fatigued by it all. I want 2019 back.

Anyone else??

OP posts:
Subeccoo · 22/09/2022 13:19

Agreed. My mum died at the end of 2019 and the entire world has gone to shit since then. It'll never be the same again.

andtheweedonkey · 22/09/2022 13:21

I think I'd like 2012 back, personally...
I could also briefly be in my 30s again!

FruHagen · 22/09/2022 13:28

Agreed. It's so relentlessly depressing.
I try not to watch the news but it's hard to avoid everything when it directly affects your life - like the lockdowns and the energy prices.

ofwarren · 22/09/2022 13:31

Totally agree. It's been relentless.

nellytheelephant1980 · 22/09/2022 13:33

Yes absolutely, can't even avoid watching the news as it all impacts us directly. Im just sick of it

OP posts:
ComplaintsComplaintsComplaints · 22/09/2022 13:33

YANBU. Everything is absolutely dire. It doesn't help I'm of an age where my friends seem to be losing their parents at an alarming rate, and I work for a large public sector organisation that has been rightly crucified in the press.

CrystalCoco · 22/09/2022 13:37

As selfish as it may sound I've been turning my attention inwards, making sure I'm ok, spending time with family and friends, limiting time spent watching and reading news reports.

The world keeps turning but I'm not a politician nor an activist, I'm just trying to make my corner of the world as pleasant as I can for me and those dear to me.

Anythingbutsnow · 22/09/2022 13:38

Yes I feel like this too!
I just knew something else would happen the day after the late Queens funeral, and we got this speech from Putin.

Hymnulop · 22/09/2022 13:38

Honestly I've earning to become one of those oblivious people I used to judge hugely- you know the ones,have the same takeaway every Friday, go on the same summer hols every year without a care in the world, speak to the same friends about the same topics, watch benidorm etc on TV and laugh at the same jokes every time - have no idea what's going on in the world around them, don't know where Ukraine is and don't notice their bills going up much because their rent/mortgage is so tiny and insignificant and they don't spend much or go to many places anyway. Like the ones who were still insisting on visiting beaches where terrorist attacks were committed soon after the event because 'its my yearly holiday and no one is taking that away from me' sort of thing. Anyway I want to become one of those so I'm blissfully unaware and I can just enjoy life more easily again.

Hymnulop · 22/09/2022 13:39

*I'm yearning

scissorsandsellotape · 22/09/2022 13:41

nellytheelephant1980 · 22/09/2022 13:17

It's just never-ending isn't it? I feel a constant sense of impending doom. Nothing seems stable, I dread looking at the news to hear of more horrendous things coming our way - lockdowns, fuel prices, energy prices, interest rate raises so higher mortgages, the Ukraine war and Russia's threats.

I am so fatigued by it all. I want 2019 back.

Anyone else??

Me too. I remember there was a meme then. "Oh fuck what now" with the bbc logo. And I feel that all the time now.

GreenManalishi · 22/09/2022 13:44

I"m going to go against the grain here, this isn't a new thing, I just think there comes a time in your life where you become aware of it, rather than obvious.

There have been equally if not more so horrendous things going on in the world stretching back, well, decades if not forever! Wars and strikes, and power cuts, and poverty, dictators and pandemics and dead monarchs... none of these are new experiences for humans!

GreenManalishi · 22/09/2022 13:44

*oblivious! not obvious

Dotjones · 22/09/2022 13:44

It's always been like this. The world has always been this bad. The difference is now we are constantly exposed to it.

A hundred years ago, the most you'd have is you'd read a newspaper each day. Then radio came along, then television, then rolling news channels and the internet, then social media. What would have been a daily interaction with the news in the form of the written word and maybe some grainy photographs or drawings is now a constant audio-visual bombardment.

Look at newspapers from the late 1800s and you'll find them awash with rapists and child murderers. The threat of war was never far away. Older people felt the youth were out of control. The world was going down the pan, fast.

My theory is humans have a certain capacity for absorbing bad news and have to fill their "worry quota" at all times. If Putin, the cost of living and the climate crisis were solved overnight, tomorrow we'd be worrying about something else. The news would be full of negativity still, it would still feel like we were standing on the edge of the end of the world.

SnoozyLucy7 · 22/09/2022 13:44

nellytheelephant1980 · 22/09/2022 13:33

Yes absolutely, can't even avoid watching the news as it all impacts us directly. Im just sick of it

But if this is how news makes you feel, why are you still watching, listening, reading the news? No one is making you do all these things and it causes you so much worry, so much stress, why do you put yourself through it? Your fears and worries about certain situations and happenings, throughout the world, will not change their ultimate outcome.

Go on a news sabbatical. Just watch Netflix, listen to Spotify and read a good fiction book.

cowskeepingmeupatnight · 22/09/2022 13:45

Personally I’d like 2007 back. Nothings been right since the global financial crash.

Dotjones · 22/09/2022 13:46

cowskeepingmeupatnight · 22/09/2022 13:45

Personally I’d like 2007 back. Nothings been right since the global financial crash.

No, 1996. Nothing has been right since Blair got in.

MarshaBradyo · 22/09/2022 13:46

SnoozyLucy7 · 22/09/2022 13:44

But if this is how news makes you feel, why are you still watching, listening, reading the news? No one is making you do all these things and it causes you so much worry, so much stress, why do you put yourself through it? Your fears and worries about certain situations and happenings, throughout the world, will not change their ultimate outcome.

Go on a news sabbatical. Just watch Netflix, listen to Spotify and read a good fiction book.

I agree with this. Try to dial down your engagement.

nellytheelephant1980 · 22/09/2022 13:48

Hymnulop · 22/09/2022 13:38

Honestly I've earning to become one of those oblivious people I used to judge hugely- you know the ones,have the same takeaway every Friday, go on the same summer hols every year without a care in the world, speak to the same friends about the same topics, watch benidorm etc on TV and laugh at the same jokes every time - have no idea what's going on in the world around them, don't know where Ukraine is and don't notice their bills going up much because their rent/mortgage is so tiny and insignificant and they don't spend much or go to many places anyway. Like the ones who were still insisting on visiting beaches where terrorist attacks were committed soon after the event because 'its my yearly holiday and no one is taking that away from me' sort of thing. Anyway I want to become one of those so I'm blissfully unaware and I can just enjoy life more easily again.

Yearning for this also. Currently trying to sell our house, be mortgage free and live the simplest of lives

OP posts:
Crikeyalmighty · 22/09/2022 13:52

@Hymnulop I'm with you- I actually look at people in my home town in the midlands with their tiny mortgages, multiple holidays (so it seems from old friends posts ) family on doorstep , not much interested in current affairs etc and content to live in not a very'naice' area- - I used to feel a bit sneery , but in a way I quite envy them - my H would rather cut his eye balls out , as would my son- so it's not an option.

ideasmirrour · 22/09/2022 14:02

Feels like things went a bit wonky around 2015 tbh. Trump, Corbyn, Brexit…

Since around then every year feels increasingly like we’ve slipped into an alternate universe or an episode of Black Mirror. Watching political comedy from the 1990s or 2000s (eg The Thick of It) is like reentering another world. Remember when the worst a politician could do was a saucy affair or sending their kid to private school while Labour education secretary? And potential nuclear war with Russia or a global pandemic was a sci-fi film plot not everyday news? And we used to grumble terribly about how it was an infringement of civil rights being made to step through a bucket of disinfectant on a cheap flight to France in case of foot and mouth?

Good times 🤣)

Arnaquer · 22/09/2022 14:11

Yes, I'm currently on holiday in the Uk and really struggling to enjoy myself, I feel so worried for the future and the here and now. I can't shake it off, plus a few people I work with are going through awful times.

Jobsagoodun1 · 22/09/2022 14:35

I get this OP. I feel that the pandemic has shown us that actually, anything is possible and the outcomes are not in our hands.
I felt the same after 9/11.

Wouldloveanother · 22/09/2022 14:39

I would like the 2000s back. Great time. Sadly I was 19 when that decade ended so didn’t get to enjoy it as an adult. YANBU

the80sweregreat · 22/09/2022 14:39

It does feel different since the pandemic.
It is all doom and gloom.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.