Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

...to say the monarchy should be subscription based

120 replies

donquixotedelamancha · 22/09/2022 11:21

There is a lot of talk that the BBC should scrap the licence fee and go to a subscription service because not everyone agrees with the BBC's political positions or find value in it's services.

I think there is even more merit in this argument when applied to the monarchy. Many people feel that monarchy is a moral wrong, or don't find it beneficial, yet are forced to support it's activity through taxation.

Instead there should be a volunatry levy to support the lifestyle of King Charles et al. Perhaps if you don't pay into the monarchy you have to pay a smaller amount to support a slimmed-down, elected head of state?

Far from being the end of a proud tradition, I think the Monarchy might make more money from this approach, with some canny marketing: allow foreigners to pay in to become subjects, stop letting commonwealth citizens be subjects for free or set up a premium subscription with benefits for paying more.

Whereas the rest of us would happily make do on the basic package: with elected King Martin Lewis doing royal visits using Ryanair, and the letter when we reach 100 coming second class.

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

232 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
48%
You are NOT being unreasonable
52%
Birdy1066 · 22/09/2022 13:37

Hilarious !!
The British public have just endured days of mass brainwashing relating to how wonderful the monarchy really are, the millions they bring in through tourists who gape at them in awe and wonder like watching chimpanzees in the zoo, the sacrifices they make to live this life of luxury and privilege - so a lot of people will pay for the enhanced package !!
Not us - I’m waiting for people to wake up from the illusion they’re living in a free society and realise they’re only useful to produce massive wealth for the top tier of society and to be used as cannon fodder to protect those same interests when the country goes to war.
And please - let’s have David Olusoga as our new Head of State.

GrumpyPanda · 22/09/2022 13:41

DangerNoodles · 22/09/2022 11:26

I'm far from a die hard royalist, but realistically if we were to be given a vote, the people will want to keep the monarchy as it is. Half the world watched the funeral, most of the UK watched it, that's very telling of how popular they are.

I watched it and I'm a dyed in the wool republican. I figure these folks are in the entertainment business so they better put on a bloody good show.

Blossomtoes · 22/09/2022 13:46

Heartbreaktuna · 22/09/2022 13:18

How about instead we reclaim/confiscate the properties from the their personal and crown estates. For the good of the nation. Viva la revolución!

How about we confiscate your personal assets? No? We haven’t adopted communism yet, quite the reverse.

bob78 · 22/09/2022 13:49

What about all the money they generate? Does that only go back to the subscribers?

They could sell shares?

EsmaCannonball · 22/09/2022 13:51

It's a great idea. We're always being told how popular they are so it would be churlish to deny them the opportunity to prove how popular they are. Surely they would jump at the chance?

Thebestwaytoscareatory · 22/09/2022 13:53

Blossomtoes · 22/09/2022 13:24

Implausible because you don’t want to believe them. The funeral was on the front page of just about every newspaper world wide. 38 million people in the UK watched it and over 4 billion worldwide. Support for the monarchy went up in Australia which has now shelved the prospect of becoming a republic. Support is also high in Canada.

No, implausible because those figures are implausible. Every half decent analyst I've heard mention those figures have said it would take months of reviewing to have any accurate idea of viewing figures and anything being published just now is wild guess at best.

"The figure appears to be based on one estimate, from a TV analyst from the WatchTVAbroad.com website, and it’s unclear how it was calculated. We couldn’t find any data to support this claim."

fullfact.org/news/Queen-funeral-viewing-figures/

iekanda · 22/09/2022 13:53

Royal stuff is part of the London tourist experience. The RF attract more money to the UK than they cost it. People love a bit of British culture on their holidays. It would be stupid to do away with them. I feel pretty neutral towards them myself. I don't particularly care about being a "subject" to royals, equally I don't adore them. But I do think they benefit the country overall.

Thebestwaytoscareatory · 22/09/2022 13:55

Thebestwaytoscareatory · 22/09/2022 13:53

No, implausible because those figures are implausible. Every half decent analyst I've heard mention those figures have said it would take months of reviewing to have any accurate idea of viewing figures and anything being published just now is wild guess at best.

"The figure appears to be based on one estimate, from a TV analyst from the WatchTVAbroad.com website, and it’s unclear how it was calculated. We couldn’t find any data to support this claim."

fullfact.org/news/Queen-funeral-viewing-figures/

I should have clarified I am talking about the 4 billion global viewers being implausible more than the UK figures.

BitOutOfPractice · 22/09/2022 13:58

But @Eeksteek they don't work hard. Even those you've quoted as hardworking, aren't. The last available figures (2019) show that William, for instance, worked 80-odd days that year. And those won't have been 10 hour days. Some of that work was, for instance, attending film premieres.

I'd say, if they were answerable to shareholders or subscribers, they'd have to demonstrate much better ROI than that!

EsmaCannonball · 22/09/2022 14:00

We could probably claim their personal estates if we made them pay all the taxes on them that they'd owe if they were truly 'one of us' (especially inheritance taxes).

I'm voting for Stanley Baxter as queen.

Anon778833 · 22/09/2022 14:00

its a great idea! And whilst we’re at it, the Brexiteers can pay for the price increases in everything caused by leaving the single market.

AngelicaElizaAndPeggy · 22/09/2022 14:02

Potentially interested in this idea. Would you be able to upgrade to a premium plus package so a royal can come and sit in your home for a day?

BitOutOfPractice · 22/09/2022 14:04

We could have it rotating - you could pay Premium++ to be a royal for a day.

Blossomtoes · 22/09/2022 14:05

And whilst we’re at it, the Brexiteers can pay for the price increases in everything caused by leaving the single market.

Oh, yes please. We could probably offset the cost of the monarchy with that dividend.

CousinKrispy · 22/09/2022 14:06

I love it, OP!

There are a lot of other amazing things in the UK for tourists to see. Maybe it's also a growth opportunity for those things. Plus, this isn't calling for the elimination of the monarchy, just a different funding model. Since so many people are loyal to the RF, its continued presence (and ensuing tourist revenue) shouldn't be a problem.

WeBuiltThisBuffetOnSausageRoll · 22/09/2022 14:10

Thebestwaytoscareatory

The thing is that what you describe instinctively sounds absurd and ridiculous (and hilarious!), because it's just so ingrained in us; but in fact, it's far more absurd to think that, of all the potential people in the country who could do as good or a better job as king or queen, not one of them is considered for a moment - even if the new king or queen were to be a baby.

It was a lovely distraction when the new rule was passed to avoid future first-born royal daughters being discriminated against in favour of their younger brothers, but it didn't actually make any difference to the chances of the 99.999999999% of the population who don't happen to born into one particular family.

Workplaces now have to (by law) consider their diversity representation - which is of course a very good thing, as far too many executive boards were full of wall-to-wall middle-class white males by default bias; but at least those males frequently came from a wide selection of different families!

Imagine any other 'firm' actually publishing - decades in advance - the next person appointed for the top job, with no question whatsoever of ever considering anybody else. It's nepotism taken to the absolute extreme, but everybody just smiles along and nods their heads as though that's the only way it could or should possibly be.

TheColorIndigo · 22/09/2022 14:12

This should definitely be happening.
The Mumsnet threads of the future will be:
"Should I keep subscribing to the royal family or get a brown bin?"
"My neighbour does not pay for any royal family premium channels but I definitely saw her looking in my window as I was watching King Charles shake hands with people."

BareGrylls · 22/09/2022 14:13

Look where voting for a president got the USA.

WeBuiltThisBuffetOnSausageRoll · 22/09/2022 14:14

There should be a prize draw every five years from everybody now over the age of 18 who has ever won not bought on eBay a Blue Peter badge, to have a go at being king or queen for the next term. We know for a fact that they're all decent, upstanding citizens, don't we?!

WeBuiltThisBuffetOnSausageRoll · 22/09/2022 14:15

"Should I keep subscribing to the royal family or get a brown bin?"

Keep up the brown bin - and then, if the monarch that others have subscribed to goes rogue, at least you've got somewhere to dispose of them!

WeBuiltThisBuffetOnSausageRoll · 22/09/2022 14:21

That's the thing with democracy, though: either the people decide for themselves or some self-appointed member of 'the great and the good' decides for them. And at least he was able to be got rid of and didn't get the gig guaranteed until the day he died.

There's a lot wrong with current party-based election systems - in the USA, UK and probably countless other countries - as I've never understood quite how, out of many millions of adults over 30, 40 or whatever, you get the 'free democratic' right to choose from just two of them as presented to you; but that isn't the fault of democracy: just its perverted overlords.

Lovetogarden2022 · 22/09/2022 14:23

We had this conversation the other day 🤣 but it was more about how we could have the monarchy almost as a charity thing where people can donate what they feel. Ie the funeral etc cost each household 5p or something like that when you work it out, but whereas some families might have given £10 as a donation towards it whilst others wouldn't have given at all

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

Wallaw · 22/09/2022 14:24

BareGrylls · 22/09/2022 14:13

Ok, so as a dense American, I never understand it when people say this.

How do you see the American president as different from the PM?
How does having a monarch (who is meant to be politically neutral, I believe?) protect against whatever it is?
If having a monarch protected, wouldn't the Queen have stopped Boris et al from proroguing Parliament?

But back to the original idea, OP, I think it's brilliant!

FreddyHG · 22/09/2022 14:25

Can funding benefits be subscription based too? I would happily take the risk if I was rebated what I pay for the benefits budget back. Plus healthcare and school too. If I provide my own. I would happily pay for defense owning nukes is expensive.

BitOutOfPractice · 22/09/2022 14:27

WeBuiltThisBuffetOnSausageRoll · 22/09/2022 14:14

There should be a prize draw every five years from everybody now over the age of 18 who has ever won not bought on eBay a Blue Peter badge, to have a go at being king or queen for the next term. We know for a fact that they're all decent, upstanding citizens, don't we?!

A bit like premium bonds. You could win different prizes garden party invite, OBE, a commemorative mug, knighthood and so on.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.