Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Cost of living

47 replies

NotABeliever · 20/09/2022 22:00

How is inflation only 10%?
I'm placing an order with Ocado. Nine rolls of Ocado toilet paper are £4.00 exactly. I went and checked my receipts from previous shopping and they were £3.30 in July and £3.60 in August this year.
I don't know how people are going to get through this 😞

OP posts:
StarDolphins · 20/09/2022 22:04

Awful isn’t it. I used to love Ocado & Waitrose but just can’t afford it any more. Salmon is Aldi has gone from £2.49 to £3.79. Also, less grams/ml in everything:(

WagathaChristieMystery · 20/09/2022 22:07

It’s a bit of a shock, isn’t it! I’ve definitely noticed prices going up if I’m out in a cafe or something. Everything in all the coffee shops has gone up massively - coffees, sandwiches etc. I was looking to get a sandwich at Pret the other day and it was just crazily expensive.

JenJones5 · 20/09/2022 22:08

The inflation basket contains more than just Ocado toilet paper. I think many people would suggest that if you are genuinely struggling then buying Ocado toilet paper is perhaps not the best use of your limited resources.

onemouseplace · 20/09/2022 22:10

£15 for 3 chicken breasts in our Sainsburys shop this week. They weren’t even organic!

WagathaChristieMystery · 20/09/2022 22:10

The inflation basket contains more than just Ocado toilet paper. I think many people would suggest that if you are genuinely struggling then buying Ocado toilet paper is perhaps not the best use of your limited resources.

I think the OP was just pointing out how expensive things are getting rather than mentioning that they’re struggling to afford the things they’re buying.

Dacadactyl · 20/09/2022 22:10

This 😂

NewBootsAndRanty · 20/09/2022 22:10

Happy Shopper-> 4 for 99p
<misses point of thread>

FoxyLoxSox · 20/09/2022 22:11

Pret has gone mad, I don’t bother with them any more. I’ve always preferred coffee from independent places but my local has just jumped from £2.95 to £3.35.

went to get some fish fingers the other day, 4.50 for ten. Aldi first infant formula, up from 7.49 to 8.69 :( all formulas have gone up a pound at least.

cowskeepingmeupatnight · 20/09/2022 22:13

9 rolls of toilet paper for £4 is on a par with all supermarkets, so wind your bloody neck in. Reverse snobbery is no better than snobbery.

ILoveMonday · 20/09/2022 22:13

I've noticed more that everything looks smaller. After dinner tonight I was still hungry - chicken breast, pesto and pasta. It's never happened to me before. I swear there's more water in the mince as well - it just seems to cook away to nothing. It's not just quantity, it's the quality.

JenJones5 · 20/09/2022 22:15

This reply has been deleted

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

RufustheFloralmissingreindeer · 20/09/2022 22:17

This reply has been deleted

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Op is not whining about how expensive it is

she is expressing surprise at how much and how quickly prices are rising

bakewellbride · 20/09/2022 22:18

I spent £30 in sainsburys today and didn't even need a bag, it all just fitted in the basket section under my buggy (which already had some stuff in it).

Kite22 · 20/09/2022 22:19

There was some good discussion about this a few months ago.
From memory I think it was Jack Monroe who was explaining how inflation figures issued by Govmnts are very different from what people in poverty are experiencing.

Hang on, I'll have a google.
inews.co.uk/news/jack-monroe-inflation-data-huge-price-rise-value-brand-staples-1658481Here is the first article that came up - I'm sure there are lots.

JenJones5 · 20/09/2022 22:21

RufustheFloralmissingreindeer · 20/09/2022 22:17

Op is not whining about how expensive it is

she is expressing surprise at how much and how quickly prices are rising

Well, not really, she was expressing confusion at how CPI / RPI are only at around 10% when one particular named item appears to be going up more rapidly.

Given the innumeracy that implied there’s not much point taking the thread seriously. If anyone does want to understand where toilet paper fits in to the baskets though then the ONS really does have some excellent guides to how inflation is calculated, which are well-worth a read.

HighlandPony · 20/09/2022 22:22

I’m going to be honest with you… if you can afford Ocado you’re not going to be even close to the worst hit. Those who have be trailing round poundstretchers and Aldis and Iceland and farmfoods and the poundshop and b&m and home bargains to get shopping but by bit at the cheapest price and couldn’t afford Tescos and asdas prices pre crisis will be.

Tescos thinks it is fucking Waitrose these days £7.50 for olbas oil. £4 in home bargains for the same thing. Boots sells baby formula cheaper than Tescos these days. I use real nappies but some of my friends don’t and lidls do the cheapest nappies. Farmfoods for bacon and sausages and butter and ham and cheese. Iceland for chips and frozen veg and hash browns and kids oven things. Poundstretchers or b&m for tinned and jar or packet things. Lidls for mince and burgers and yoghurts and fruit and kids playpiece.

RufustheFloralmissingreindeer · 20/09/2022 22:23

Well, not really, she was expressing confusion at how CPI / RPI are only at around 10% when one particular named item appears to be going up more rapidly

fairs

but she still wasn’t whining about how expensive waitrose is and didnt need directing to aldi

NotABeliever · 20/09/2022 22:23

I can afford Ocado. I'm just shocked at how much prices for every day items are going up in a short space of time.
I work with very disadvantaged people and I feel genuinely concerned.

OP posts:
NeckFanInSoftPlay · 20/09/2022 22:24

@JenJones5 Plebs? Oh how embarrassing for you!!!!

RufustheFloralmissingreindeer · 20/09/2022 22:25

Ive only just noticed that tesco is charging for all its deliveries

used to be free if you ordered a certain amount

WagathaChristieMystery · 20/09/2022 22:26

I think we’re starting to see the situation get really bad. I’m worried about what will happen over the next few months.

Oldrockingchair · 20/09/2022 22:26

@HighlandPony how do you have time to visit all those different shops? Doesn’t that take ages? Are they all close together? If I did that I’d waste so much on fuel it wouldn’t be worth it! And take all day.

RufustheFloralmissingreindeer · 20/09/2022 22:29

Wait why was jen deleted

that post didn’t seem deletion worthy

Dacadactyl · 20/09/2022 22:32

It certainly wasn't Rufus! People are so oversensitive 😂

JenJones5 · 20/09/2022 22:34

RufustheFloralmissingreindeer · 20/09/2022 22:29

Wait why was jen deleted

that post didn’t seem deletion worthy

I committed the eternal sin of suggesting that a Waitrose customer may not be worthy.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.