Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Dog bite - no lead?

10 replies

NoCallerID · 18/09/2022 19:26

A dog has attacked my 3yo (unprovoked, just didn't like them crying when they hurt themselves), I managed to lift my child over my head whilst the dog jumped up on me several times eventually biting my arm.

I have reported this (owners are known to us and they insisted it didn't happen and it was only a scratch until about 4 days later when we sent photos, I'm still waiting for an apology.) The police officer has updated me that a warning letter has been sent to owners. Today I saw them in a public place - the dog was off the lead. AIBU that this can't be quite right considering the dog went after my child? Anyone know if I can find out if any measures were put in the letter? I've emailed the police officer but as the case has been submitted for filing I don't know if I'll ever get any info on this and it's really bugging me.

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

49 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
2%
You are NOT being unreasonable
98%
gatehouseoffleet · 18/09/2022 19:29

This is why we need dog wardens but most councils are getting rid of them. It might be worth checking if your area still has them, as they can be more effective than the police. If not, all you can do is report to the police again.

EfficientDynamics · 18/09/2022 19:36

Our local park has sprayed bright yellow stencils on the paths saying dogs should be on a lead and that owners can be fined up to £1,000

I saw a guy this morning on said path with two German shepherds off the lead. Two police officers were in the park, they spoke to him and I saw him continue on his way with both dogs off the lead

You have my sympathies op, I hope your little one is okay. I was chased by dogs as a child a few times and now at 43 I still avoid them and always will

BMW6 · 18/09/2022 19:44

I'd pursue it with the officer, and wouldn't let it drop. I'd have also spoken to them and told them to keep their dog on a lead so it is under their control. Bloody ignorant fools.

custardbear · 18/09/2022 19:54

Update the officer. Inexcusable behaviour

NoCallerID · 18/09/2022 20:40

It was passed from the police to a dog legislation officer, who decided that it warranted the warning letter to be formally issued. However, I’m not certain what this includes. I would’ve hoped that it meant the dog has minimum to stay on a lead, but not certain it has.
The dog is their baby, my husband brought up what happened and the owner lady went mental at him and then walked off. I won’t be anywhere near this dog anymore unless I bump into them (which I thought wasn’t very likely…) but the fact that they actually encouraged my child to pull the dogs ears as it then makes funny noises (child didn’t, not very keen on dogs) and that they let the dog play with their 1yo niece/nephew. It’s dangerous and they don’t seem to take this seriously at all.

OP posts:
GuyFawkesDay · 18/09/2022 20:45

This happened to us recently, my DD (9) was bitten by a local dog. More worryingly, the dog lives with children.

I was happy to report without action until I saw them in the park 2 days later with the dog off lead and kids in the vicinity.

The dog officer went to see them, told them they'd be issued a formal warning and basically to sort the dogs training out. Dog wax on his watch list and any further reports would lead to action being taken.

I haven't seen the dog since, worryingly. It was never his fault, lazy, lazy owners who were utterly ignorant of his needs.

GuyFawkesDay · 18/09/2022 20:48

The owners in our case we're mortified but allowed their children to chase and grab at the poor dog, pull toys out his mouth etc. Needless to say, he'd gone self employed in the protecting himself field as the adults had done nothing to protect him.

They sound the very worst kind of owners, ignorant and anthropomorphising the dog. It's a dog, not a human baby and it's needs are clearly being ignored. Learning to read dog body language and being the owner/leader/protector the dog needs is vital.

You can push back to dog officer and they can issue things like muzzling orders.

Crunchingleaf · 18/09/2022 20:51

So infuriating OP. What absolute irresponsible owners. They don’t know what triggered this attack so how will they prevent it happening again.

Interviewhelp12 · 18/09/2022 20:57

EfficientDynamics · 18/09/2022 19:36

Our local park has sprayed bright yellow stencils on the paths saying dogs should be on a lead and that owners can be fined up to £1,000

I saw a guy this morning on said path with two German shepherds off the lead. Two police officers were in the park, they spoke to him and I saw him continue on his way with both dogs off the lead

You have my sympathies op, I hope your little one is okay. I was chased by dogs as a child a few times and now at 43 I still avoid them and always will

I guess local councils can determine there own rules, but legally dogs don’t have to be on the leads in parks, just under control. I have mine off lead now but she doesn’t go near anybody.

GuyFawkesDay · 18/09/2022 21:40

Mine is off lead too but stays close and is whistle trained.

But it requires training to have a dog who will walk to heel and ignore other dogs

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.