Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Am I right? (building work on Sundays)

38 replies

mycatisannoying · 18/09/2022 09:50

Hi. Next door are having an extension built. It feels like it has been going on forever, and I haven't once complained (well, I did very politely say something when it started at 7am one day!).
I know that the builders have some catching up to do, which means they've been working weekends too (not Sundays so far). But they are there this morning with their noisy drills etc.
At this point it feels like a pisstake, so I popped my head over the fence to say that building work is prohibited on Sundays. Builder very gruffly told me that it's allowed after 9am.
Who is right? I'm hoping it's me so that I haven't made a total fool out of myself
Thanks.

OP posts:
Fatballs · 18/09/2022 16:02

Doesn’t really change anything. People can write whatever they want, the police aren’t going to interfere and nobody’s going to stop them.

”A breach of condition notice may be served by a local planning authority if you have done something in breach of a condition attached to a grant of planning permission.”

“The Breach of Condition Notice is served on the person responsible for causing the breach, usually the developer, or on the person with control of the land. Failure to comply with the notice can lead to a fine being charged on a daily basis, therefore, costs can soon mount up.”

www.kslaw.co.uk/site/knsplanninglaw/objectionstoorders/breachofcondition/

mycatisannoying · 19/09/2022 08:40

They're back this morning - making lots of noise - today of all days. It's the neighbours' sense of entitlement that bothers me more than anything.

OP posts:
properdoughnut · 19/09/2022 08:41

mycatisannoying · 19/09/2022 08:40

They're back this morning - making lots of noise - today of all days. It's the neighbours' sense of entitlement that bothers me more than anything.

Yell at them to fuck off

KassandraOfSparta · 19/09/2022 08:44

There is no law about not working on Sunday.

The Glasgow city council website as an example says :

"Residential Zones:
Monday to Friday: 8am to 7pm
Saturday: 8am to 1pm
Sunday and Public Holidays: No noisy operations"

Then goes on to add then in some circumstances work outside those hours might be unavoidable. And of course there is no definition of what "noisy operations" means.

catlady1234 · 19/09/2022 08:47

The builders are likely self employed and need to work to get paid. I'm sure they would rather be at home but they have a job to do.
I completely understand that it's annoying but the work will drag on longer if they take days off x

MaggieFS · 19/09/2022 08:51

See if your councils website says "rule" or "guideline". File, them doing what they are doing and then request that they respectfully stop from 10.30 - 11.15 or you'll be reporting them. A Sunday is bad enough but today is taking the piss.

Yes I know people have to earn a living, but they should also schedule themselves to be considerate.

MaggieFS · 19/09/2022 08:51

Film not file!

mycatisannoying · 19/09/2022 08:56

I think the builders who are in are stonemasons, same as yesterday (old Georgian buildings). Lots of dust in my garden, loads of loud tapping noises, and noisy drilly things.
I've been a good neighbour to them and I'm really fucked off about this.

OP posts:
HikingBoots · 19/09/2022 09:09

You'll make it take even longer if you prevent them from working on a Sunday OP.

Bunnynames101 · 19/09/2022 09:14

You complain they're taking 'forever' but also that they're working to get it finished.

You either want the banging and works finished or you don't. Pick one.

Lcb123 · 19/09/2022 09:15

If it’s a one off Sunday I’d leave it. If it happened again next Sunday, I would say that the local authority states noisy building work can’t take place on Sunday.

mycatisannoying · 19/09/2022 09:17

Monday - Saturday, not a problem. Sundays and Bank Holiday Mondays aren't ok.
The irony is that more often than not, the builders aren't actually here through the week! So they must be fitting in my neighbours around other jobs.

OP posts:
Sally090807 · 19/09/2022 09:34

Some people are incredibly selfish. The neighbour at the bottom of my garden has been building in his garden every weekend for the past year (excluding winter). Any day that’s nice and sunny he’s out there, drilling, banging, slab cutting, it’s horrendous. Not once have I been able to sit outside and enjoy the sunshine, I’m so pissed off about it. Yes, I’ve complained and it’s made no difference at all.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.