Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Would you isolate child before surgery

28 replies

tuesdayblues1 · 17/09/2022 20:25

My 3 year old is due for surgery at the end of next week to remove tonsils, adenoids & to fit grommets in both ears.

The operation has been cancelled twice due to Illness. I’m planning on keeping them home from nursery all next week but my mum thinks I’m over reacting and that I should just send to nursery as normal. I have twins and my plan is to keep them both home for the week.

if you or your child were having surgery would you isolate beforehand? There has been no advice given by the hospital, they don’t even do a covid test anymore.

YABU - yes you are over reacting

YANBU - no totally sensible

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

71 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
17%
You are NOT being unreasonable
83%
Notanotherwindow · 20/09/2022 21:37

It's probably a post nasal drip. Her nose is still running but when she lies down it goes down the back of her throat and makes her cough.

I'd keep them both off even without covid. A cold is all it will take for the surgery to be cancelled, they can't safely do it if she's unwell and if one catches it, the other will too. 3 year olds aren't known for their hand hygiene and grasp of personal space.

lemonyanus · 20/09/2022 22:42

tuesdayblues1 · 20/09/2022 15:54

so we haven't been out of the house since Friday morning. My DD developed a runny nose and a night time cough on Sunday. I'm currently going out of my mind with worry now that the operation will be cancelled. The runny nose is part of the continual problems she is having with her adenoids but the cough is really distressing me. It only happens at night when she is laid down.

Does anyone have any experience of this? We still have 3 days/nights for it to improve I suppose 😫

Might be ok..my son needed a GA once and had the after cold cough. The anaesthetist came in before the op and we talked over the bit of a cough and he shrugged and said he hasn't coughed while I've been here so I'm happy to go ahead. Now that was just for a scan but the hind tail of a cold isn't a definite no. It's more during the height of a cold the ENT surgeons don't like to operate because everything's inflamed and fluidy.

WorryMama1 · 23/01/2024 12:47

Hello, My DS is due this operation in just under 4 weeks and we are also considering isolating beforehand. He constantly has coughs and ENT illness, hence the operation anyway!!

Did your little's operation go ahead in the end?

TIA

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.