Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Health visitors or similar help please!

9 replies

Interviewhelp12 · 16/09/2022 21:58

Name changed for this as it’s outing to anybody that knows me.

Ive applied for a position for a Child development worker, linked to the health visiting team with the NHS. I work in child care and am confident that I have the skills and knowledge relating to child development but no real experience in this area especially regarding the health side of things. I have a fair amount of experience of the system due to having a child with SEN. I’m confident I can do the job and am eager to learn but feel a little out of depth with it being a service that is coming from a different angle to what I’m used to.

Can anybody help me with what sort of things I might be asked in an interview or direct me to things to read? I’ve starting reading the healthy child programme document.

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

3 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
0%
You are NOT being unreasonable
100%
Interviewhelp12 · 17/09/2022 20:12

bumping…

OP posts:
UniversalTruth · 17/09/2022 20:15

I can't help on the specific area, but it's an NHS interview, they may well ask about the Trust values and how you would show these in your work - they'll be on the patient facing website so look them up.

bloodywhitecat · 17/09/2022 20:16

If you are visiting people at home you will possibly be asked about how you would manage a situation where a parent became aggressive/threatening. You will also be asked questions around safeguarding and the steps you would take if you suspected abuse/neglect of a child.

(Ex clinical nursery nurse on the complex care team, we looked after children in their own homes)

iolaus · 17/09/2022 20:29

There will likely be questions about safeguarding - what would you do if you felt that a child was in danger etc

Possibly something to check whether or not you are judgemental - say if a parent was doing some that, while not unsafe, was not what you would recommend (I remember in my midwifery interview (for training) there was a joint part and they asked about views on breastfeeding - there was one girl who said she felt bottle feeding was child abuse and all mothers who didn't breastfeed should have their baby removed - needless to say she didn't get a place)

Working within a hierarchy as well and lone working

Mulledmead · 17/09/2022 20:33

Safeguarding- they will want to hear reference to following policy (which you will be trained on- don't need to know it now) escalating to your supervisor, referring on, documentation, and communicating your concerns with the family (and when it may not be safe or appropriate to do so).

Communication, multi-agency working, dealing with conflict or stressful situations, team working.

Definitely look at the trust values, a couple of questions at least will be based on them.

Maybe think about how you would engage a child in your visit.

In addition to hcp, look up the 6 high impact areas for health visiting (one focuses on reducing injuries in the home I think) also 1001 days if you are feeling keen. It's unlikely you will be asked about them, but you may be able to shoe-horn them into an answer!

Toddlerteaplease · 17/09/2022 21:48

Safeguarding is a massive part of community roles.

Interviewhelp12 · 17/09/2022 22:03

Thank you. I’m pretty
confident on safeguarding although obviously won’t know they’re exact procedures. But I think report, record, refer is pretty universal.

Thank you for the advice about trust values. This wasn’t something I’d have thought of so I’ve added them to my list.

I have read the HVP document. I’m really nervous, I don’t interview well. I could probably answer the questions brilliantly on paper but unfortunately that’s not how it works.

OP posts:
Interviewhelp12 · 17/09/2022 22:03

That should say HCP

OP posts:
Interviewhelp12 · 23/09/2022 21:51

Update
i got the job!

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.