My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

AIBU to wonder why people buy in to a narrative set by the media ?

76 replies

CatServant2020 · 16/09/2022 14:30

AIBU to wonder why people buy in to a narrative set by the media ?

For example the media decide person A is an angel so do positive articles about them with photos which support this narrative.

The media decide person B is a devil so they only do negative articles about them with photos which support this narrative.

The media also does deals with various institutions that if you don't publish X story then we'll give you Y story.

I just don't get why people don't seem to realise this.

I also wonder how many of the people who were posting #bekind a couple of years ago are doing the opposite now.

#Bekind became a thing because some one was hounded by the media so much they commited suicide, how quickly people forget.

The media decides their position based on what sells more newspaper or gets more clicks and not for any other reason, I just wish people would realise this.

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

115 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
24%
You are NOT being unreasonable
76%
Bubbles456 · 16/09/2022 14:37

This reply has been deleted

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

MolliciousIntent · 16/09/2022 14:39

Most people aren't very bright, OP.

CatServant2020 · 16/09/2022 14:42

Typical reply, you haven't explained why your happy to be believe everything the media says and does and why you don't believe that deals are done.

I was anti Megan if anything until the last week but the media and vitriol she gets I just find absolutely disgraceful.

OP posts:
CatServant2020 · 16/09/2022 14:43

I agree with you @MolliciousIntent

OP posts:
girlmom21 · 16/09/2022 14:50

The weird thing is that so often the media has opposing views depending on who you are so I don't think this necessarily rings true.

But ultimately the media aren't supposed to lie about people, but there's nothing stopping them exaggerating massively, so because they're not supposed to lie people assume they must tell the truth.

SallyWD · 16/09/2022 14:51

I really think a lot of people are very easily influenced. They don't question anything and just accept what they're told. Scary really.

anon5678 · 16/09/2022 14:51

I think this about the war in Ukraine. No one gives a f*ck now because the media aren't reporting on it, and the media aren't reporting on it because it's no longer interesting.

Do you remember how dominated the news channels were with this earlier in the year? People are still being bombed and are dying but noone cares.

PeekAtYou · 16/09/2022 14:54

Because publicly distrusting MSM makes people think that you a conspiracy theorist these days and most people don't want to be associated with the extreme end of that group of people.

CatServant2020 · 16/09/2022 15:28

I didn't want this post to be about any specific person so am glad other posters are actually explaining why this happens and their thoughts about it.

I agree with what's been said about Ukraine, people are dying but that's yesterday's news.

It's scary to think that if you distrust MSM then you are a conspiracy theorist. I'm pretty much middle of the road with most things but just can't understand why people buy into a media set narrative.

Personally I look at 2 sides of a story and make my decision on where I stand from there and not just because it's a media view.

Thanks to those who have replied to the comments.

@Bubbles456 could you not have come up with an original comments not something that has been used thousands of time before

OP posts:
DashboardConfessional · 16/09/2022 15:32

because they're not supposed to lie people assume they must tell the truth.

This is the reason. Some people genuinely think the Daily Mail just reports the factual news. They don't notice the very carefully worded "A source says" or "Outrage as Meghan blinks too fast" meaning "outrage on Twitter and in our comments section".

#bekind though is bollocks and is a tool often used to shut up valid criticism so YABU there.

Redqueenheart · 16/09/2022 15:35

Because our general education system is not great so people never develop any kind of critical thinking. It also benefits the political class and the so-called elite to keep people dumb and compliant.

The billionaires that run part of the media don't want to inform people, they just want to sell their own narrative to make themselves and their mates richer and keep the masses obedient.

Even the BBC turned out to be just another government mouthpiece.

Sistanotcista · 16/09/2022 15:37

"The media" is a huge generalisation. If you watch a range of news channels and read a range of newspapers I think you probably get enough information to form your own, relatively fair, viewpoint.

TooBigForMyBoots · 16/09/2022 15:40

YANBU @CatServant2020. A good example of it is the oft repeated lie on Mnet: At least the Conservatives know what a woman is.

This partially came about because of press reporting. Everyone knew about KS Andrew Marr interview. One week later, PM Johnson said the same shit. Yet very few people knew. A non Tory says anything pro trans, it's all over the Mail, Express etc. Tory minister at the Despatch Box and says TWAW, and the reporting is nonexistent.

Sodonerightnow · 16/09/2022 15:43

Have you read the book 1984? It was written in 1948. There is a part of that where the character talks about two countries being allies in a war against another country. He vaguely recalls the two allies once being at war with one another when he was a child. But he can't seem to find anything in the history books to corroborate this. Although he is certain he is right.

I also recommend you watch 'that' episode of Black Mirror with the pig. Sums up quite nicely how trial by social media happens.

5128gap · 16/09/2022 15:44

I think its obvious that that's what happens. I'm actually more interested in why.
You say you were against Meghan but now you're not. You and millions of others. You haven't formed that view by accident. Clearly there is now a campaign to bring her back into public favour, and I'm interested in why. I wonder if its because there will be very little excitement to he had from our elderly new King and his well behaved heir and M is the best bet for controversy.

BMW6 · 16/09/2022 15:46

Yes, what makes you think people don't get info from a wide range of sources and form an opinion on those?.
Perhaps SOME people only read The Sun, Guardian, Daily Mail or only watch one news channel, but I think they would be a minority.

Some people in the Public eye are not liked because they do and say things that are unlikeable. You cannot put it all down to media bias.

Sounds rather like a person that you like gets negative public reactions, and you are looking for another reason for their unpopularity other than the obvious - the person is not good.

newsaint · 16/09/2022 15:50

As MolliciousIntent said, many people are not very bright.

Lots of people seem to unthinkingly believe everything they read in the paper, and that is how they get their opinions.

Its quite scary when you think about it, given these same people can vote etc!

Imo, most media is about manipulating people, not informing them.

Floomobal · 16/09/2022 15:52

I genuinely wonder if MM has people starting these threads, and for what purpose?

TimBoothseyes · 16/09/2022 15:54

Because a lot of people don't have the ability to think for themselves.

CatServant2020 · 16/09/2022 15:55

It wasn't that i liked "a person" previously. None of it affects me personally and I thought some of the things done previously were inappropriate but I don't think the bile spewed at them this week is deserved.

No one is all angel or all devil, the realty is somewhere in between the 2, but that doesn't fit the media narrative to sell papers and get clicks or viewing figures.

OP posts:
Mamamia7962 · 16/09/2022 15:59

Most newspapers are political, the Sun is conservative, Daily Mirror is Labour, the Daily Mail was conservative but I think I'm right that it's more left leaning now. People will be influenced by these newspapers, the Sun will always have a positive view of the Conservatives and a negative view of Labour etc.

The Sun used to criticize MM but I have noticed this week there have been more positive stories. They did report that M and H were "furious" that their children hadn't been given royal titles but when you actually read the article they hadn't said anything of the sort and it was a source that claimed they would be furious, so really just a made up story of what H and M's reaction could be. The dangerous thing is that some people would actually think this was true.

Notonyerwelly · 16/09/2022 16:01

After this week I have came to the conclusion that most people are thick as fuck

Mamamia7962 · 16/09/2022 16:01

Boring news doesn't sell papers.

DashboardConfessional · 16/09/2022 16:05

It's not as simple as "selling papers" or ad space though. The paper spends the time between an election forming a whole set of opinions for people to nod along to, so that when the time comes and they say "Now vote Boris" for example, the readers do it. Then the owners of said media benefit from the new political climate.

CatsandFish · 16/09/2022 16:09

This reply has been deleted

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Hello Kate.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.