Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To ask for advice on Pin Worms

12 replies

LostPropertyBox · 14/09/2022 20:31

Posting here for traffic really as I'm having a right panic. My 4yr daughter has been complaining about having a wedgie for a month or so. She also scratches her bum and can have long finger nails if u don't get time to cut them. She's been complaining about abdominal pain for about 6 months (we thought it was down to a dairy allergy, but despite removing dairy she occasionally still complains about a sore tummy).

TMI warning: Tonight she did a massive poo (she often goes a few days without and then does an absolutely huge one).

I was about to flush it down when a tiny white wiggling thing caught my eye. FU*K - it's pinworms 😩

I am PANICKING now!! I sent my husband out to the pharmacy to get the medication and she's already taken the dose. But they said we all just need to take it once and then they should go. But I've read online the medication only kills the adult worms and not the eggs that can live up to 2 weeks outside the body.

I've gathered up all her knickers and all the laundry and am doing the washing now. We will wash the sheets tomorrow and her muslins that she sleeps with.

But I'm just totally grossed out and panicking that we will all end up with pin worms! She must have had them a while. I feel awful I didn't know any sooner. But I'm freaking out that although it might kill the adults, the eggs they've laid in her will continue to hatch.

Can anyone tell me their experiences with pin worms and give some advice to make sure they're gone for good!!

OP posts:
Please
or

Anothermother3 · 14/09/2022 20:39

Vacuum damp dust wash everything possible or quarantine it for 2 weeks (thinking big teddies) nails short fingers out of her mouth and good hand hygiene before all snacks and meals. We’ve had this more than once it’s disgusting 🤮 but manageable and repeat the dose in 2 weeks to be safe

Please
or

VestaTilley · 14/09/2022 20:45

Cut her nails now, and constantly so they don’t get long. Scrub all your hands with soap before eating, preparing food and after going the loo.

Strip her bed and wash the sheets on 90, and wash teddies etc in the bed. Vacuum the mattress and the seams. Hoover the floor under the bed.

Wash towels on 90 and make sure you’re regularly washing towels and bed sheets. All family take the threadworm medicine.

Please
or

RootinandTootin · 14/09/2022 20:46

I used to get them all the time as a child, the medicine always worked for me but it would reoccur but again then more medication. Make sure she keeps her finger nails short and washes them anytime she touches that area. I remember one particularly horrible time when my mum squirted water up my bum with a calpol type syringe. I think she was just sick of them. It’s a pain but they will eventually go, don’t panic too much. They seem to thrive in children but not so much in adults

Please
or

stayathomegardener · 14/09/2022 20:47

Buy nail brushes and onesie pyjamas so she can't scratch in her sleep.

Please
or

Autumnwinterspringsummer · 14/09/2022 20:49

3 yo had them in august and def gave them to me 😨 and possibly older DS.

All take the meds, then take the second dose in 2 weeks. It cleared it up for us.

Please
or

Neighneigh · 14/09/2022 20:51

Definitely get some more Ovex tablets - it says officially to take one, then another two weeks later but in the past I've taken one a week for three weeks because the buggers are so disgusting I feel like I need to....we are currently dealing with them too. We are lucky here in the UK that the treatment is relatively cheap and easy to get - I remember reading on mn once that someone in the US spent £2000 on treatment that would cost £40 here....

Please
or

LostPropertyBox · 14/09/2022 21:33

Thanks everyone. Really appreciate this. I will try to ensure that everyone in the house takes the medication again in about 2 weeks. Would it be if any benefit to take it in a week and again in another week? My husband thinks I'm overreacting for nothing, and is stubborn so will probably kick up a fuss when it comes to a second dose because the pharmacist didn't tell him to do a second dose - unless someone is reinfected 🤦‍♀️

OP posts:
Please
or

FrecklesMalone · 14/09/2022 21:39

5his is gross but necessary. When she is asleep use a wetwipe and wipe her bottom, clearing the worms that are there. They come out at night. Prepare to be grossed out. We had them for years on and off (4 kids and a school that seemed to nothing)

Please
or

HyggeandTea · 14/09/2022 21:46

Wash the sheets and towels, very good hand hygiene and short nails, and medicine for family as directed. (no need to go overboard).
They will go.

Please
or

Peachy200 · 14/09/2022 21:58

fresh Pjs/kickers every night, wash towels after every use. Bathe/wet wipe every morning as they come out at night to lay eggs!
If she’s struggling on a night cover her in sudocrem quite thick! (including her front as they also crawl there to lay eggs) they don’t like sudocrem and it gave my daughter relief on a night.

quarantine all teddies/unwashable toys for 3 weeks to give the eggs a chance to die. Give the rest of her toys a good clean, along with anything else she regularly touches.

Please
or

MissMaple82 · 14/09/2022 22:31

Calm down!!!! Nearly all kids experience this at some point. Do a good wash of everything and you'll all need to take the medication and repeat it in a fortnight

Please
or

dustybluebell · 14/09/2022 22:54

A word of advice. Don't eat the cakes at the PTA cake sale. We learnt the hard way. 🤢

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?