Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Parking outside our house

20 replies

meetmeintheautumn · 13/09/2022 14:05

Totally accept I may have over reacted here but I needed to rant!

We live in a quiet street so any cars coming and going...you do hear it.

For the past fortnight a car has picked up someone from across the road from us and then parked on the side of our house on part of our lawn, just with the engine running, lights on and there for a while whilst the people in the car talk.
It set our sensor lights off outside and they go on and off etc...
Last night at 9pm they were back again and I'd had enough...I went out tapped the window and asked could they park elsewhere and stop parking here..setting off lights, we have young children as do all the neighbours ..it's getting late. They weren't apologetic. I said you are arriving off lights etc...told them to park somewhere else.
I wish I hadn't have gone out now as I feel bad and feel bit awkward as it's a neighbour and a "friend" ...who maybe having a hard time.
Anyway. I was just absolutely sick of it !

OP posts:
BIWI · 13/09/2022 14:06

Sorry, but you are being very unreasonable. The road outside is not owned by you, so anyone can park there - no matter how irritating it is for you.

Perhaps though, if you'd asked them politely, they might have taken more notice of you?

VainAbigail · 13/09/2022 14:08

BIWI · 13/09/2022 14:06

Sorry, but you are being very unreasonable. The road outside is not owned by you, so anyone can park there - no matter how irritating it is for you.

Perhaps though, if you'd asked them politely, they might have taken more notice of you?

But they were parked on part of OP’s lawn?

CornedBeef451 · 13/09/2022 14:08

If they're on your lawn then tell them to bugger off!

SillySausage21356 · 13/09/2022 14:09

I think if they are parking on your lawn, then they shouldn't be there, so asking them to not, - is not unreasonable.

Do your outside sensors need changing - ie are they over sensitive?

Maybe try and speak to the neighbour when things have calmed down, im sure it can be fixed - but it really depends how you spoke to them

BIWI · 13/09/2022 14:10

Ah - sorry - missed the bit about the lawn! Quite right to ask them not park on your lawn!

Apologies.

RobertsRadio · 13/09/2022 14:11

If they were parking on your lawn and sitting there with the engine running and setting off your lights, you were very reasonable in requesting that they park elsewhere, I.e. not on your property.

girlmom21 · 13/09/2022 14:13

If they're on your property you're well within your rights to tell them to go away.

They shouldn't be sitting there with their engine running either.

Lindjam · 13/09/2022 14:14

I can't see the diagram!

JauntyJinty · 13/09/2022 14:15

Need a diagram to know how helpful this would be - but I think I'd be putting something like a planter or large rock in the corner of the lawn so people can't drive onto it

meetmeintheautumn · 13/09/2022 14:17

Just to be clear I was polite and then I was firm about not parking there again.
I had to be firm as the driver , instead of any apology, wanted to know why her headlights would be bothering anyone, let alone an engine running in a street where you can hear a pin drop.
But that's my point, not on our grass then I am being unreasonable...

OP posts:
Aconitum · 13/09/2022 14:19

It is illegal to park with your engine running (and possibly with lights on)

Laiste · 13/09/2022 14:24

Why on earth are they parking partly on your lawn ?!

I'd be out there telling them to get the fuck off my lawn if i was you.

I turn into a rabid monster when it comes to people taking the piss with their cars outside our house. On the pavement, over the drive and, on one occasion, actually ON our drive. We live near a school and the things that go on!!

SirChenjins · 13/09/2022 14:29

Who the fuck pitches up in a quiet residential street, parks on someone else’s lawn and then sits with their lights on and engine running while they chat? Someone who is pig ignorant, that’s who - and for that reason they deserve a word in their ear.

ivykaty44 · 13/09/2022 14:30

I’d get some large rocks & place on your lawn, that’ll prevent anyone from placing their car on your lawn.

I’ve been out before and quietly asked if a driver can turn their engine if as the fumes are noxious- they’ve always obliged, nothing wrong in asking

meetmeintheautumn · 13/09/2022 14:32

@SirChenjins @Laiste I'm bringing you both with me next time!
Honestly Im hoping they don't park there again.

OP posts:
limitedperiodonly · 13/09/2022 14:42

They shouldn't park on your lawn but when people park outside your house with their lights on and their engine running and chat for ages they are generally not doing it to piss you off but because they're not thinking about it.

A simple: "Would you mind? My baby's trying to sleep" generally gets an "Oops! Sorry! I didn't think." and the job done. If you go out screaming: "What the fuck are you doing?" you risk someone realising it will be fine sport to make you run out in your dressing gown every time they come round.

Of course, some people want to annoy you even if you ask nicely like the OP did in which case feel free to turn on the hosepipe and kick the car. It might even get the police round but they'd probably want to talk to you about it as well.

WhereYouLeftIt · 13/09/2022 14:55

"I wish I hadn't have gone out now as I feel bad and feel bit awkward as it's a neighbour and a "friend" ...who maybe having a hard time."
I'm intrigued by your neighbour's behaviour here. The car driver comes to 'pick them up' then they sit chatting in the car with the engine running. Why does your neighbour not invite them in? And why do you think your neighbour "maybe having a hard time"? Do they just sit there talking then the neighbour goes back indoors, or do they then drive off together?

Stellaris22 · 13/09/2022 15:06

I live on a terraced street and we get people who just park with their engines running, so you were right to complain. It's especially bad when it's late at night and you're trying to sleep.

SweetsAndChocolates · 13/09/2022 17:48

I don't think you should feel bad, they park on your lawn, that's enough reason to tell someone to move.

I've seen this happen on my road, a friend arrives, said neighbour gets in car (as though they are about to go somewhere) and they sit there for at least 1 to 2 hours chatting! I do wonder why they can't go in and have a chat and a cuppa Grin

Creepymanonagoatfarm · 13/09/2022 17:49

Idling is illegal.
Yanbu.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.