Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Damp in a rented flat

8 replies

Namechxnge · 13/09/2022 10:06

Hi, this is not an AIBU, but just want to ask a question.

I live in a ground floor flat of a converted old house.

There are 2 flats upstairs.

We have damp coming down one of the walls in our kitchen/living room area.

I asked the upstairs neighbours and they said it was coming from the chimney, but their landlords don't want to do anything major about it

I've told my landlord, but if the upstairs ones don't want to do anything, what can be done?

Also, how dangerous is damp? Would we need to move flats? I really have no idea about it, if I'm honest.

Damp in a rented flat
OP posts:
MistyGreenAndBlue · 13/09/2022 10:18

Damp can cause mould which is bad for your health. It also makes the place harder to heat.

I think its illegal to rent out a property in this condition but you would need to take advice on this.

Other posters may know more .

IglesiasPiggl · 13/09/2022 10:27

Damp is a really unpleasant pain in the backside that most landlords don't go far enough to fix properly. I would move out if you can and save yourself a load of hassle.

Namechxnge · 13/09/2022 10:37

Thank you for replying. Usually my landlord is helpful, but I dont know about the other 2.

My flat is on a rolling contract so I can move if needed. But rents have gone up so much since we move in (london), I'd rather not pay more if I don't need too.

OP posts:
Pilatesteacheruk · 13/09/2022 10:50

It is unlikely to be the landlords responsibility, more likely to be the freeholders responsibility to fix (which may or may not be the landlords collectively if they own a share of the freehold). You need to contact your landlord and they need to find out who is responsible and go from there.

Mercurial123 · 13/09/2022 11:19

I just pulled out of a property purchase. The flat was ground floor and had damp in every room. Solicitor advised it would be the owner who had to pay for it if it was rising damp. If it was penetrative damp from roof, flashing, gutter etc it would be the managing agents or freeholders.

If there is no service charge but paid as when needed the other freeholders could refuse to pay and non payers could be taken to court and a managing agent could be appointed.

Namechxnge · 13/09/2022 11:33

I asked my landlord and he is a leaseholder, so I don't think it is his responsibility but the freeholders. Looks like it could be complicated to properly fix.

OP posts:
Mercurial123 · 13/09/2022 12:18

Namechxnge · 13/09/2022 11:33

I asked my landlord and he is a leaseholder, so I don't think it is his responsibility but the freeholders. Looks like it could be complicated to properly fix.

Depends, it could be quite simple. It could be the guttering, slipped roof tiles or chimney flashing needs replacing. I had damp in my house from defective chimney flashing and wasn't expensive to fix.

Mercurial123 · 13/09/2022 12:27

The managing agents are responsible for repairing

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.